How important is shadowing hours?

I am trying to make my application more competitive for this upcoming cycle. I currently have 100 shadowing hours with a PA in the urgent care which I really enjoyed. I have also shadowed doctors and dentists but should I start looking for more PA's to shadow? Will that show more interest in the PA profession?

Well I would say that obviously shadowing more PAs would show interest in the profession vs shadowing dentists.  If you are asking if 100+ hours shows more interest than less than 100 hours?  Depends on the schools.  Truth - I applied, interviewed, and was accepted with no shadowing to speak of.  I will tell you that I do believe it was the deciding factor on a few of my waitlist/rejections (i.e if I had shadowed I think it would have pushed me over the edge to get in).  But it depends on the schools.  Clearly some schools didn't care that I had no shadowing.

So is it required that you shadow more?  Nah.  If you have the time and connections, do it.  If you have weak spots in the rest of your app then definitely do it.  Schools definitely want to know that you are interested in the profession but you also have to be a qualified candidate.  If your time would be better spent getting HCE or taking classes, then do that.

Archived