Older PAs

Guest TerryF

Guest TerryF

What do you think the job market is for older PAs?

I am in my 60s. I am thinking of taking the PANCE

and returnng to medicine.

TerryF

I think older PAs are seen as very valuable by many practices b/c of maturity, judgement, and more life experience. true, we (I am a little on the old side, too!) may not have the same stamina and endless endurance for the high-pressure, 60-70 hr/week FT jobs like ICU, trauma, ED, etc types of jobs (maybe you do, but I don't, and God bless those that can do it!), but doing stuff that is more your speed is really fun and interesting. plus, adult pts will appreciate you a LOT b/c they sometimes don't feel as comfortable being cared for by someone who looks very young. they want to know they are being seen by someone with an understanding of the issues they may be dealing with as they get older. this is something that only comes with life experience and time (and age!).

I don't look old, but I have always felt highly valued in my jobs b/c I bring life experience and maturity to the table.

Guest TerryF

I don't look old, either. ;-)) Actually, I am a good looking dude. At least my wife of forty years says so.

Thanks for the incouragement. I do have lots of experience to bring to the table.

TerryF

I don't look old, either. ;-)) Actually, I am a good looking dude. At least my wife of forty years says so.

Thanks for the incouragement. I do have lots of experience to bring to the table.

TerryF

good. and pts always want excellent medical care, too -- so make sure you have that to bring to the table. I'm sure you have the work ethic ;)

Guest TerryF

Allow me to clarify: from my personal perspective, I believe excellent medical care is a given.

If I did not think I could offer pts that quality of care, I would never even dream of re-entering the profession.

TerryF

Allow me to clarify: from my personal perspective, I believe excellent medical care is a given.

If I did not think I could offer pts that quality of care, I would never even dream of re-entering the profession.

TerryF

of course. how long were you a PA before? why did you let it go, and for how long? I just wondered b/c I am kind of taking a break right now (burn-out), and would like to know the experience of someone else who has let it go, and then wants to come back to it. what made you decide to come back to it?

Guest TerryF

I'm glad you had four job offers, Leeg.

Kittryn, since I was a young child I wanted to be a preacher. I met my wife at a church college. I joined the navy because she said she would not marry me. Then we got married after bootcamp. I fell in love with the navy. First, I was in electronics which was a bad choice; I hated it. Then I went to hospital corpsman school followed by pharmacy tech school. I was one of the first to apply for the navy's PA program and was accepted. I was a PA for over ten years (six years in Italy, two on the island of Guam, and two in the USA).

Becoming a preacher began to weigh heavy on me. I got out of the navy and went to seminary. I applied to the navy to become a chaplain, but they would not give me three month age waver. I applied to the army and retired from the army as a chaplain.

I always enjoyed the hospital, even the turf wars we use to have with nurses in the hospitals. I tried being a hospital chaplain, but was not satisfied (wanted to know too much about the patient).

I had two great careers, in the navy and in the army. However, at this point in my life, I wish I has stayed in the navy and remained a PA.

TerryF

great story, terry. and your chaplain-compassion strength will take you far. I m actually considering switching into palliative care...did some rotations in school in it and it is an area of personal interest...involves much more the emotional/spiritual/personal relationship, really cool field.

Archived