AAPA Convention in Las Vegas -

So far I have seen NOTHING from the AAPA conference on the slow but sure takeover of Nurse Practitioners.

AAPA thinks hosting a CME in a gambling town is what the PA Profession needs. Guess what 1) my CMEs are totally free online. 2) The PA profession is under major attack by the nursing profession. 3) Many of us practice in states with archaic laws, like WV and can barely write APAP and ASA. 4) AAPA fiddles while Rome burns.

Does this surprise any of you?

On one hand, I see what VAPA is saying; I was just in Vegas and made the comment "This would not be a good place to have a conference...nobody would take it seriously." But on the other hand, flights to Vegas tend to be numerous and cheap, and people tend to WANT to go to Vegas. Maybe the AAPA was attempting to attract as many people as possible for networking, exchange of ideas, etc.

So far I have seen NOTHING from the AAPA conference on the slow but sure takeover of Nurse Practitioners.

AAPA thinks hosting a CME in a gambling town is what the PA Profession needs. Guess what 1) my CMEs are totally free online. 2) The PA profession is under major attack by the nursing profession. 3) Many of us practice in states with archaic laws, like WV and can barely write APAP and ASA. 4) AAPA fiddles while Rome burns.

Does this surprise any of you?

1. you do conferences in places PAs want to go. Went to Atlanta lost money. Went to San Diego lost money. Las Vegas six years ago made money. This conference will be the second best attended in AAPAs history after the last Las Vegas conference. In reality AAPA is about networking with fellow PAs meeting old classmates and occasionally getting CME. Having CME gets your employer to pay for it. I like my CME face to face. Others share my opinion.

2. There was discussion about this in the town hall and its been discussed a number of other places. One policy motion in the HOD directs the board to work for direct payment of PAs by Medicare. Where were you?

3. Thats a state issue but AAPA has helped a lot of states improve practice acts. Were you involved.

4. NP school >>>> that way.

Given your dissapointment with the AAPA I would imagine you are taking personal steps to improve the situation. Aside from posting on this forum could you please list what you are doing to advance the AAPA and PA profession so that others may follow a more functional pathway?

Wake up and smell the roses, sweetheart. The AAPA is sitting back doing nothing for the PAs here in WV, just like their puppet subsidiary, WVAPA.

Can YOU think of a reason we are at the bottom of the barrel in prescriptive authority? Can YOU think of a reason the AAPA and WVAPA would stab someone else in the back that was trying to help the PA profession here? You asked what I was doing to enhance the PA profession. I WROTE a HOUSE and SENATE bill, and got them on the legislative docket. Did the WVAPA or AAPA, No and hell no. So what have YOU done to enhance our profession? Other than take cheap shots at someone who speaks the truth? Did I hurty your fee fees?

The AAPA is doing very little for PAs elsewhere. If you don't know that, then I pity you.

If you don't me telling it like it is, then don't read my posts. But don't make innuendos like I am supposed to "advance the AAPA" - because that is what YOUR dues is supposed to do. If you don't like what you get from them, your problem is with them.

As for me, I am NOT paying dues to an organization that does not support ME or my fellow PAs in WV.

The powerful Nurse Practitioner lobby is moving ahead every day with their agenda. PAs are no where as desirable as NPs. NPs can independently practice most everywhere now, or with very little "physician collaboration". Do I want to practice independently? No. But neither do I want NPs to do that either. Yet they are.

Look around. You will see where the jobs are. Doctors prefer NPs as they have less supervisory duties with them. They can have more on staff. My advice to you is to stop living in a cave and start thinking for yourself. The AAPA fiddles while Rome burns.....

PAs are no where as desirable as NPs.

Now, who's being dramatic? Granted, YES, there are certain systems that prefer NPs (and likely for the reason you mentioned), but other than ONE group in all my interviews for my first employment position, every other system preferred PAs. Docs who are familiar with our accreditation and training, tend to prefer us. And if you look at the most recent salary comparisons, PAs are more often than not ahead of NPs in figures ... some are similar, some are with NPs in slight lead here and there, but generally the PAs still make more.

Now, who's being dramatic? Granted, YES, there are certain systems that prefer NPs (and likely for the reason you mentioned), but other than ONE group in all my interviews for my first employment position, every other system preferred PAs. Docs who are familiar with our accreditation and training, tend to prefer us. And if you look at the most recent salary comparisons, PAs are more often than not ahead of NPs in figures ... some are similar, some are with NPs in slight lead here and there, but generally the PAs still make more.

Glad you liked the drama. :) I usually dish it out with a lot of sarcasm when I get it, just to high light those that talk out of their anus. But since you brought up the subjects of hiring preferences and salaries, do YOU have any hard evidence other than your personal experiences of scientific valid proof to back up your statements?

I can assure you the largest employer of Physician Assistants in America, the VA, has over 1700 PAs and the NPs are nudging them out left and right, as well as making more money with easier to get raises. As for your comment "Docs who are familiar with our accreditation and training, tend to prefer us", may I ask just how many doctors that really IS? What percentage? 4% 10% ? Any proof with valid research, or are you just making a nonsensical generalizations? As for your quotation of a salary survey.. I will just say "hogwash". You must be reading some propaganda from the AAPA.

I said it once, I'll say it again: Physician Assistants are losing ground to the powerful NP lobby, and the AAPA is doing nothing but collecting dues from gullible PAs.

Smell the smoke? Feel the flames? If not, you soon will.

Glad you liked the drama. :) I usually dish it out with a lot of sarcasm when I get it, just to high light those that talk out of their anus. But since you brought up the subjects of hiring preferences and salaries, do YOU have any hard evidence other than your personal experiences of scientific valid proof to back up your statements?

I can assure you the largest employer of Physician Assistants in America, the VA, has over 1700 PAs and the NPs are nudging them out left and right, as well as making more money with easier to get raises. As for your comment "Docs who are familiar with our accreditation and training, tend to prefer us", may I ask just how many doctors that really IS? What percentage? 4% 10% ? Any proof with valid research, or are you just making a nonsensical generalizations? As for your quotation of a salary survey.. I will just say "hogwash". You must be reading some propaganda from the AAPA.

I said it once, I'll say it again: Physician Assistants are losing ground to the powerful NP lobby, and the AAPA is doing nothing but collecting dues from gullible PAs.

Smell the smoke? Feel the flames? If not, you soon will.

No, it's on Advance, the site for NPs and PAs.

http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Features/Articles/National-Salary-Report-2010.aspx

As for your request, where's YOUR "scientific valid proof"? I didn't read any "hard evidence" in your writing ... did I miss something? Please expound, so that I might better comprehend.

I'm not saying the nursing lobby hasn't gained ground, I just stated what I've gone through in my personal experience. What can I say, it was what it was.

FYI, when you're histrionic and insulting, you lose credibility ... you might better practice a bit of diplomacy, versus 'flying off the handle'. Your message will stand stronger.

Sarcasm is not becoming. At all. Your rant makes you appear to be closed to any discussion outside of those agreeing with you. While you may be right, your tone takes away from your credibility. I can understand frustration but come on...this is the internet. We get to walk away from the keyboard and think about things before hitting send. You have made a conscious decision to present in this manner...it's not a bout of unintentional verbal emesis...

I am no one special, I'm not even a PA but I am an impressionable student that keeps their ear to the ground regarding a career field that I hope to be here for years. I am one of those people that would love to promote the field of PA but not sure what is the best way. Out bursts like yours is a great teaching tool of how not to do it

http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Features/Articles/National-Salary-Report-2010.aspx here is one report of PAs slightly edging out NPs in salary.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos081.htm is a projected job demand for Pas through 2018 with a 38% increase in job opportunities. I also found it interesting that the BLS write up for PAs was much more comprehensive than the one for NP

I had to delete my post, I pretty much quoted coloradopa without knowing it until I reread the thread. Apparently we are in the same meetings.

I Eco those sediments you have to go to the town hall meetings and voice your opinion on the house floor. Paying your dues is just not enough anymore and we will continue down this road until general membership steps up to the plate at these type of events.

Archived