Medical Equipment Advice

Hi,

I just started the professional phase of my 5-year entry level program and need to purchase medical equipment. I've been told by several practicing PAs (and read the same thing once or twice on here) that the only thing worth spending extra money on is the stethoscope. I plan to get a Littmann Cardio III for this. A blood pressure cuff I figure I can get for pretty cheap (less than the 100 bucks WelchAllyn wants anyway).

The main issue is the Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope Diagnostic Set. These things from WelchAllyn cost upwards of 500 bucks. I'm not sure, but I don't think there's any way this is worth it. Unlike the majority of my class, my parents do not pay for everything I need, and I can't afford such an expense unless it's truly necessary.

So, would people agree that it's not necessary to spend so much on a set when a cheaper one can be gotten for ~150? I figure wherever I end up working will probably have them. And even if I were to eventually need a pricy model, it'd be much easier to spend 600 bucks as a working PA than it is now. If you do agree, can you recommend a brand or model for a better price?

I'd appreciate all advice.

Thanks!

Personally, I looked on ebay and put together a Welch Allyn kit for about $150-170 (got all the various pieces in separate auctions). It isn't a fancy panoptic, but it works fine.

I know some people in my class are using the "no-name" cheaper sets and have gotten by just fine (a lot of practices have the wall mounted models now anyway, so you might not even need them for rotations).

Yeah don't bother with the fancy Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope. Go with what is in your price range. I am about to graduate and can honestly say the only advantage is early on it can be a little easier to view the various structures with the newer heads. However once you get the hang out it and see enough anything will work.

The welch allyn mini set is great. don't spend more than 200 on it, and i got my blood pressure cuff on amazon for 7 dollars shipped. Riestar also has a good mini set as seen here: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&q=riester+mini&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=494848635081925022&sa=X&ei=qtjdTZXbBI76sAPBpty0Bw&ved=0CEMQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers

I went cheap on the Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope... reason being.. you'll use the ones in the office and not your handheld. I think I've used mine like 3 times while in class...I got the ADC Complete 2.5v Otoscope Ophthalmoscope Diagnostic Instrument Set for 135.

DX sets: I got the 48 dollar ebay special. I still have it and don't get to use it much in physiatry. I used it in school during my inpatient rotation and my whole year in Peds (The peds office I trained at didnt have them on the walls) I upgraded the bulb to a welch allyn (yup they fit) and it works pretty well. I say save your money.

As far as the stethoscope goes, I like my Welch Allyn Harvey Elite. it really shuts out ambient sound/noise and really picks up those hard to hear murmurs with screaming kids and parents in the exam room. I tried the littman cardio and wasn't really impressed. But i have colleagues and classmates who swear by it. To each his own i guess. If you get the Harvey, get the accessory kit with the peds diaphragm and other ear tips. Mine was a gift so double bonus!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived