To all former medics

It's not convenient, but Connecticut doesn't require you to be working as an EMS provider to maintain your paramedic license. Once you get your initial card via reciprocity, you just have to mail them a check once a year to maintain your license.

http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/ems/pdf/paramedic_app.pdf

I've tried to contact CT EMS numerous times with no response so doesn't look like that is going to work out. CA EMS is adamant that they will not take CE and there is no way at this point that I can get enough CME by the end of September. Also, they are questioning my ACLS and BLS because the cards don't say what state the class was taken even though I took them at one of the two Trauma Centers in Oregon. All seems like a bunch of crap all of a sudden and it sucks.

• 1 month later...

So, final update. My cert has officially expired and CA EMSA is not budging even a tiny bit on the CE thing. I can't understand why they won't even accept the BLS and ACLS. The person I'm talking too says "we don't accept all AHA courses, only some of them". Since when? These courses were not online, they were taken a a major trauma center. They also are still not accepting any of my CE. Unless I can figure out a way to get 48 hours of prehospital CE in the next two months on top of my already busy schedule the paramedic license is gone for good. Every time I talk to her I want to reach through the phone and shake her until she starts making sense. Oh, and because of this little snafu they want even more money for late fees even though I originally submitted it months ahead of time. So, if I'm no longer actively licensed/certified as a paramedic can I still use EMT-P as a title if/when I need it?

so, if i'm no longer actively licensed/certified as a paramedic can i still use emt-p as a title if/when i need it?

you earned it. As long as you don't hop on a rig and say you are a medic you should be fine.

I haven't worked as a medic since 1996 and my id tags all say pa-c, emt-p. (caveat- i have a pennsylvania emt-p cert which in theory never expires but i would still list it even without that).

Do you have your National Registry yet rsqdvr? If so, you should be able to use NREMT-P nationwide. If you are not actively working on an ambulance just keep up your national registry. You don't have to be licensed to be considered a paramedic. A doctor is a doctor when he graduates from school, not when he is licensed. Same for every other healthcare profession that I can think of off the top of my head. Like EMEDPA said, you earned it!

Do you have your National Registry yet rsqdvr? If so, you should be able to use NREMT-P nationwide. If you are not actively working on an ambulance just keep up your national registry. You don't have to be licensed to be considered a paramedic. A doctor is a doctor when he graduates from school, not when he is licensed. Same for every other healthcare profession that I can think of off the top of my head. Like EMEDPA said, you earned it!

I was Nationally Registered years ago but let it lapse. There didn't seem to be a need or requirement to keep it when I worked in California.

Washington State has moved to having two options for recert. Participate in county approved on-going training or CME and take a state recert test. PA CME other than ACLS, PHTLS, etc. is not recognized as qualifying medic CME. Makes it tough to keep CME for being a medic and PA too.

Almost impossible while in school. :heheh: My cert expired on Halloween.

Archived