Praxbind (Pradaxa reversal Rx) Approved by FDA

Will warfarin be an antiquated drug in 10 years?

Possibly. I work mostly with poor people and cost is a driving factor in prescribing. Coumadin is a more cost effective treatment FOR THEM because the drug is cheap and the monitoring is generally covered by some government insurance or program or grant. The cost of the newer anticoagulants is cost prohibitive for many. (Yes I understand all the other associated costs with coumadin use.) I think the answer lies in drug costs and insurance status for everyone in 10 years.

I have some patients who get assistance from the drug companies for their meds and it is a blessing for them and me. The ones I can't get meds for tend to be the "betweeners". Those people who are what is often called the working poor.... make too much to get assistance but not enough to afford their meds. There is no perfect answer and I just keep my ear to the ground and leverage every program I can.

Archived