Part time/per diem pay...

Guest ERCat

My full time job with benefits is in ER, but I picked up a second job at a rehab in the medical department (picking up a shift or a couple of shifts a month). I am a new grad and they offered me 55/hour which is awesome to me. But I realized that because I will only work a few shifts a month I won't be getting any benefits. They'll cover my malpractice as an employee... But other than that no medical benefits, no 401K, etc. I am OK with this because I am going to be getting benefits from my other job. But after reading a few things I realized ... Should I have asked for more hourly because they're not having to pay benefits? Or should I be happy with the hourly considering I am a new grad and working another full time job with benefits?

I briefly discussed this with HR and was told that the position's pay is really good and that if I was eligible for more they would've given it to me. They advised me to talk to my boss to see... Thoughts?

PS They told me I could be a per diem 1099 if I wanted, OR if I wanted to be a part time employee instead -- as a new grad 1099 seemed scary so that's why I am an "employee." I am sure if I wanted to go 1099 I could but I doubt theyd up the rate enough to make it worth it...

As a new grad, probably not much room to negotiate. Gain a year or two of experience and then sell yourself. I would advise you to go the W-2 route since 1099 you'd have to pay more in taxes (SS). Also, what's the going rate for a full timer at the rehab center? If it's $55/hr, and they're going to pay you $55/hr, I'd try and at least ask for $60-65/hr. 

Archived