Intentionally Biased Article about NP's and PAs??

Nothing will ever change so long as we have people who are the chief public policy officer of the Association of American Medical Colleges stating "The PA, or physician assistants, really are exactly what they sound to be. They have historically been trained to be aiding a physician..."  And this one "NPs also tend to get some on-the-job training but are not automatically an assistant to a physician as PAs are.."

And then when writing about NPs he goes on to state " Those who go on to get their doctorate degree could have as many as 5,000-6,000 hours of clinical experience..." which I think he's confusing clinical experience being in the role of an RN who takes orders versus advanced practice clinician where they are forced to order, interpret, diagnose and treat patients... big difference IMO.. 

Can't wait for Nevada's optional autonomous PA pathway legislation to pass and set the foundation for the rest of the U.S...

UNBELIEVABLE

This doc gets to comment but has no idea what he is talking about.

How about asking a PA or even a doc who actually works WITH A PA.

This guy sounds to have never been in the presence of a PA and could quite likely be married to an NP for all we know.

Stunningly ignorant and biased and ego laden from the-only-thing -that-matters is an MD mind set.

There were no comments on the site when I went.

Anyone going to comment?

I was thinking about a letter directly to Dr NotSoHelpful himself...............

Coorection with information is the only way to fix these perpetual wrongdoings!

I listened to the entire conversation. He did say clinical education and not clinical hours in regards to DNP education. Also later he said "after they finish their masters" in regards to PA education. My take here is the spin came more from the interviewer and less from the interviewee. Obviously he is not the greatest advocate for the PA profession, but his opinion is not as twisted as this article suggested

It is all about business and dollars ... the MD wants to keep the business going ....  We need our own PR campaigns and to show how ridiculous from an economic and health perspective a physician led model is.  Also the bridge programs just further this statement. How can a PA manage patients when PAs need to go back to school and complete residency to be an MD ?

Archived