Science Courses for GPA

Hi!

Quick question, I am taking some courses to raise my science GPA, now I'm going to take nutrition and pharmacology which I know by CASPA count under Biology. But there are other classes such as life science and this one course offered under biology at my school called "sex, gender and the basis of disease", since they are numbered BIO 210 or BIO 106, will CASPA still count that under my science GPA?

Thanks!

• Administrator

I wouldn't sweat the difference between bio and non-bio all that much.  You get a BCP cumulative GPA (biology, chemistry, physics) from CASPA as well as an overall science cumulative GPA.  I have never heard of a slight difference between BCP and overall sGPA counting for or against a student.  Far more important is to get the best possible grade, ideally a 4.0, in each such science class.

Yeah since

I wouldn't sweat the difference between bio and non-bio all that much.  You get a BCP cumulative GPA (biology, chemistry, physics) from CASPA as well as an overall science cumulative GPA.  I have never heard of a slight difference between BCP and overall sGPA counting for or against a student.  Far more important is to get the best possible grade, ideally a 4.0, in each such science class.

You actually classify the class when you input it into CASPA.  So if the course listing is BIO then I would see no problem with listing it under science/biology courses.  All they do when you go to submit is quickly verify it.

Thanks for your input!

I know I classify the class as BIO and such on caspa, but I was just confused because I looked under the CASPA course subject link and it didn't list Life science or Sex, Gender and basis of disease (i doubt it would for the latter!) but at my school they are offered under BIO so I just wanted to make sure they will specifically raise my Science GPA.

Also, does it make a difference if a course is 3 or 4 credits in terms of raising your gpa? I think not... because it's grade multiplied by credit hours divided by total credit hours, so straight As will still be straight As. All the schools I interviewed at just wanted me to raise my GPA, (it's 3.3 cumulative and 3.0 science) so I'm desperately trying to do that by taking 4 courses next semester, they told me NOT to retake courses I got a C in.

Thanks for all the help!

• Administrator

Also, does it make a difference if a course is 3 or 4 credits in terms of raising your gpa? I think not... because it's grade multiplied by credit hours divided by total credit hours, so straight As will still be straight As.

It's "more" 4.0 to bring your GPA up faster.

3 of 2.0 and 3 of 4.0 = 6 credits and 18 quality points = 3.00 GPA

3 of 2.0 and 4 of 4.0 = 7 credits and 22 quality points = 3.14 GPA

The difference is not as pronounced when you already have 60 or 90 credit hours, but it still can make a difference.

It's "more" 4.0 to bring your GPA up faster.

3 of 2.0 and 3 of 4.0 = 6 credits and 18 quality points = 3.00 GPA

3 of 2.0 and 4 of 4.0 = 7 credits and 22 quality points = 3.14 GPA

The difference is not as pronounced when you already have 60 or 90 credit hours, but it still can make a difference.

Oh! Thank you! Well, I really like this class called "gender and the basis of wellness and disease" its offered under BIO in my school, so I'll list it as under BIO under Caspa, that would work with my science GPA right? I mean I'm just nervous since it's not a traditional science course. 

Archived