Applying to jobs without having rotation in the specialty

Hello all,

I'm a second year PA student and will be graduating in December. I really enjoy the OR and am looking into surgical jobs. I have some interest in ortho and as I look at job listings I see a lot of ortho positions and a lot seem open to training new grads. I have shadowed in ortho surgery but did not have a rotation in it (we only had one elective and I chose CT surg), so I was wondering if a rotation in the specialty, especially something like ortho is usually required to be considered or hired.

Thanks

Ortho practices definitely had the most plentiful positions that were open to new grads in my neck of the woods, so I applied to a few without doing a rotation in ortho surg. I got interviews for two of them. During the phone interviews they didn't seem to care much about the lack of an ortho surg rotation . I didn't do in-person interviews since I was offered a position I infinitely preferred to ortho surg, so I can't say if an ortho surg rotation would have made a difference in the final stages.  

Archived