Was just a question. Were not dangerous or controlled meds. I am talking about antibiotics. Yes maintained records (Fyi a text message or email stating all allergies and med history etc does count as written documentation). Yes discussed with supervising doc who firmly trusted my medical decision making. I was simply unsure if right now between last day in FP and upcoming start date in specialty if it was allowed. Apparently that was a 'stupid' question in your opinions. Thanks for making that clear guys. I'd hate to see how judgemental the respondents can be when a patient asks a question you don't approve of. FYI, this should not be a place for competitive and reprimanding responses. I would like to think we all got in this for helping others.

• Upvote 2

Without being too tacky, under what legal authority would you base your decision on allowing yourself to write for a prescriptive medication? I'm not sure how one would feel comfortable prescribing any dangerous or controlled medication without knowing the specific laws pertaining to such in your state of residence. Based on comments from a coworker from earlier this year this does not seem to be an uncommon question. Regardless of how independent we would like to see ourselves, we are still required to function under the authority of a supervising physician. At present time you do not have such an arrangement. The short answer? You cannot prescribe medications. In my state, unless you have a "reasonable" expectation of this being a practice patient, it is illegal for you to do so. Even with a supervising physician.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Administrator

When you called in meds for friends in the past, how were the medical records for that encounter generated and maintained?  If they weren't, odds are what you were doing was never appropriate in the first place.  Now, if you do it without an SP at all, it would be outright illegal.

So if your friend has a UTI and you call in some Bactrim for her, what happens if she gets SJS?  How, absent any charting, are you going to document that she told you she had no sulfa drug allergy?

• Upvote 1

At least 2 PAs in Washington have been cited by the state board for rx'ing with no records or for family members. One was an inhaler and one was abx. They both had active licenses with active employment and a designated SP.

If between jobs without an active practice plan - you have no rights to practice medicine. It is quite simple.

If folks here were harsh - well - duh. They saw poor judgment and spoke up because, quite frankly, you ASKED.

So, take the lumps from your professional PEERS and learn something.

The old saying goes - if something makes you stop and question - there is likely a problem.

We, as PAs without independence have to be especially careful and walk the straight and narrow. If we want change then we have to be above board at all times and walk the straight and narrow to prove without regret our intelligence, integrity, and capacity for responsibility.

If you do something dumb - at least own it and make changes. I am not hearing regret or acceptance of your gaff......

• Administrator

It's also very tacky to edit your original post to remove the original question, rather than replying in the thread later so that people can still see what you originally asked.  While you may not have liked the answers you got, a) they're pseudonymous, and b) someone else probably has the same question, and now you've limited others' ability to learn from the feedback you received.

FYI, for those who may be unaware, "dangerous drugs" are prescriptive medications that are not listed as controlled. Antibiotics are an example of a "dangerous drug". These items should be specifically stated/defined in state regulations. For my own education, if you are no longer under your SP in an employment capacity (between jobs), how could you document the interaction in the patient's record?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By notyetnever
      Hello,
      Does anyone have information for prescription authority of medical assistants in NC? My situation at a family medicine practice is that our supervising physician authorized an MA to send refills on behalf of the APPs/mid-levels. However, we were never told about this. The MA was under the impression that we were aware and okay with this happening. I would guess each practitioner has to give the "okay" for the MA to refill prescriptions, right? Or is there some way the supervising physician can override this? The medications are still being filled on behalf of the mid-levels with our names on the scripts/medications. Is this more of a legal issue or ethical/workplace issue?
      Thank you
    • By Yasuo
      Hello, I recently made a post yesterday and got some great feedback. You can read more about my background and thoughts there. Feel free to give more insight. I am reading all comments and using it sort of as a guidance in making a serious life decision. You can check it here: 
      However for the professional PA's who are currently working, my main question for you today is:
       Are you satisfied as being a PA? What are some things that Physicians do that you can't in your specialties? Give me concrete examples!
      A lot of people say autonomy, wide scope of practice, vertical mobility, etc. But what exactly are those day-to-day job differences or limitations that you have noticed in your specialty as a PA? Or do you feel like you have full autonomy? 
      I am interested in either Internal Medicine (Hospitalist) or Emergency Medicine. But if it's pretty much 90% of the same job as Physicians, then I am not sure if 7 years of medical school is worth it for me. I know people usually recommend PA to MD mostly if you want to go into either surgery or a specialization of some sort.
      Can't wait to read your thoughts! Hopefully your comments and answers will give me and others in similar situations a strong resolution. 

• By Yasuo
      Should I go back to Medical school AFTER becoming a PA?

Specialties interested in: Internal or Emergency Medicine

Here are my personal thoughts:

I don't like to disparage my profession, but the way we learned medicine was through memorization of algorithms and buzz words. We were not taught the basics of science from a molecular level working upwards. We basically skipped step 1 and went straight into step 2 clinical knowledge. Doctors can see and understand things we cannot. And make connections that we cannot. I think this is what I am craving for. To be that kind of an “expert.” To understand medicine at that level and solve complex cases. I think the funny stereotypical word for this is “mental masturbation” or “intellectually stimulating” haha. I have the personality type of being the best in whatever I do. I feel limited in that sense as a PA.

Financially, I would say I am kind of lucky. I wouldn’t normally tell this to people, but just to give you guys an idea of my situation. I actually don’t have any loans or interests at the moment after PA school. I paid out of pocket. But I was given some personal loans from close families and friends. I do have to pay them back eventually, but there is no time limit. And they would understand if I decide to pursue medical school. I would still have to take the MCAT, apply, do interviews, and then start the following year (this could take 2-3 years; here I could work as a full time PA and save money for medical school). The medical schools in my state are $100k for 4 years. Which is not bad compared to the crazy $200-400k type of other medical schools.

For family life, wouldn’t it still be possible to have? Instead of working 8 hours a day, I would be studying or going to lectures. And then spend time with my family. Especially since I am not a typical pre-med student. I will be entering with a stronger background knowledge from PA school. However I do understand that the residency years will take a huge toll on my work/life balance for 3 years. (My mom or future wife would still have an income during the 4 years of medical school).

But at the end of it all, won’t I truly be knowledgeable in a field of medicine, from basics to advanced. With the reward of earning a higher income and becoming a doctor (not what I’m going for, but still a benefit). I will be done around age 35 and can work 30 more years until 65. Won’t the money gain as a doctor in that time cover any expenses I had? And then be able to teach the next generation as well, confidently. I have a desire to teach as a professor at PA or MD/DO programs. And precept as well.

This is my current thought process, BUT if you guys think that I am delusional or crazy, please call me out on it! Give me reasons why staying as a PA from age 26 will be better for my life in the long-run. And to not make the mistake of going to medical school for 7 years, with unnecessary stress. I want to hear both sides and arguments really well.

How different is the autonomy in internal or emergency medicine between PA and MD/DO? Can I learn step 1 on my own while working as a PA, and be just as knowledgeable and happy? Or is the in-depth training of medical schools and residencies unmatched? And no amount of clinical experience as a PA can ever replace that? (I have my own thoughts of course since I have done clinical rotations, I just want to hear from what you guys think).

***Here are some more of my thoughts that I just private messaged someone:***
      Thank you so much for replying, I really need guidance in my life. I am confused and don't know WHAT path is actually WORTH taking.
      I love medicine. I have grown super passionate about it. I also love academia. I watch a lot of medical school vlogs and wish I went through the rigorous schooling like they did. PA school felt like a joke to me. It was mainly memorizing buzz words, without understanding the "why's". 
      Now, I know I can learn the why's using third party resources on my own - like sketchymedical, boards and beyond, pathoma, premade anki decks, etc. However, if I am going to do that, why not do it through medical school and get rewarded with prestige, money, and autonomy? 
      But that does come with its cons - such as a losing lost income as a PA, family time, and basically life. For 7 years. 
      I am interested in Internal medicine (hospitalist) or Emergency Medicine. What I want to really know is if there is a huge difference in autonomy, day-to-day job/tasks, etc. Because if it's 90% of the same job, then I am not sure if 7 years of medical school is worth it for me. I know people recommend PA to MD if you want to go into either surgery or a specialization of some sort. 
      Basically, is 7 years of medical school worth it for me (I am single and 26 years old; I only need the MCAT to most likely get into this DO program in my home city; this way I can be with family and friends and not miss out on life events). It seems like a fun journey to me, something that I would look forward to.
      But there is this other easier, more convenient, and relaxing path - which is to remain as a PA and practice medicine. Earning a six figure salary. Living life. And also studying step 1 material with the resources I mentioned earlier.
      *sigh* Do you see my dilemma here. Like what is the right path for me - in terms of happiness, life, money, etc. 
      If I were to redo my years of schooling, I would 100% choose medical school. But because I finished PA school and am interested in specialties that might not be that different as a doctor, is it worth it? Because I do realize I will have to go through numerous standardized examinations - MCAT, Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 3 CS, and residency boards. Also the stress of interviews, applications (both initial and for residency), research papers, etc.
      Or will I always regret not going back for medical school?
    • By ChristineB
      Hi everyone!
      I am a graduating PA and am currently looking for outpatient jobs, particularly in primary care. From what I have heard and seen, many primary care clinics are going through hiring freezes, and the few positions I have seen have required 2-5 years of experience. I have applied to them anyway in case they take a look at my CV and consider me, but they have either not contacted me or told me that I do not have enough experience.
      I had a good first and second interview for an endocrine PA position. I do like endocrine, however I believe at least 90% of my time will involve working only on diabetes management. If I am offered this position--or if I am offered a position in another specialty that I do not see myself in long-term--should I take it to get experience (and a paycheck)? Should I wait it out hoping for a primary care position? If I take a specialty position will I be less desirable as a future applicant for primary care positions? The job market is difficult, generally, for any new grads, but the pandemic seems to have made things a bit harder as well. 
    • By Jhop3
      I am a second year PA-S and I just completed my women's health rotation. I ended up loving obstetrics more than I thought I would! I was researching different jobs in OB/GYN and came across maternal fetal medicine. From the research I have found, it seems to be a very interesting and rewarding field! However, I have asked a couple of the providers at my rotation about a PA's role in MFM, and they have all said it is minimal. I looked online and there are MFM job postings for PA/NP's, so I have a couple questions for everyone:
      1) Do PA's have a role in MFM?
      2) If yes, what is their scope/daily life like? Are they mainly in the clinic? Rounding in the hospital? Do they help in the OR?

Thank you for your feedback and information!
      Josie

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More