GPA Boost pointers!

Hi everyone! 

Hope everyone is hearing positive things from their schools at this time of year! I got invited so far to two interviews but I got rejected from both. After I called and asked why, one said the GPA wasn't competitive enough (which I knew but was hoping!) and the other said to get more hospital patient care hours (which now I work full time so it's attainable) and that my GPA could use a boost!

So my cumulative GPA is a 3.3 and my science gpa is a 3.0

I'm a career changer, so I never took science in my undergrad, graduated early with honors Economics and when I decided on healthcare I took gen chem and physics at Northwestern while working full time (biggest mistake of my life!) so I got C's then.

After that every science class A's and B's with the exception of Organic Chem a C.

Now spring semester I'm thinking about taking 3 classes: Nutrition, Essential to Pharmacology, and Pathophysiology. 

If I do steller and get an A, would my GPA change much? 

Also any other pointers to boost my science GPA? 

Thanks everyone! Happy to always turn to this forum for some help! Best of luck this cycle!

Nothing magical about raising your GPA. Its just hard work. My only tip would be to look for program that value recent trends in GPA. I would add if you received 2 interviews you are on the cusp. The general rule (obviously there are exceptions) is if a program offers you an interview your are a strong enough candidate on paper to be accepted, Its just a matter of sealing the deal in person. Hope this helps. 

First, I would recommend using a GPA calculator online to figure out how a few more credits of "A" would affect your overall GPA. If you feel like you can boost your GPA from a 3.3 to something better, like a 3.7 with a few courses, then it would be something to consider. For someone like me, with a 170 credits, a few more credits of "A" or "F" wouldn't really affect my GPA to a significant degree. You might reconsider retaking your chemistry classes ONLY if you know you will have enough time a resources to make sure you get an A- or A. They wouldn't be impressed if you retook the class to get a "B".

The other SIGNIFICANT and perhaps more PRACTICAL way of bolstering your application is through quality HCE. Find a good job working with patients in a direct setting. Write a killer personal statement about those experiences, You are bound to get plenty of interviews with that approach.

First, I would recommend using a GPA calculator online to figure out how a few more credits of "A" would affect your overall GPA. If you feel like you can boost your GPA from a 3.3 to something better, like a 3.7 with a few courses, then it would be something to consider. For someone like me, with a 170 credits, a few more credits of "A" or "F" wouldn't really affect my GPA to a significant degree. You might reconsider retaking your chemistry classes ONLY if you know you will have enough time a resources to make sure you get an A- or A. They wouldn't be impressed if you retook the class to get a "B".

The other SIGNIFICANT and perhaps more PRACTICAL way of bolstering your application is through quality HCE. Find a good job working with patients in a direct setting. Write a killer personal statement about those experiences, You are bound to get plenty of interviews with that approach.

What is your current HCE like?

Hi! 

I'm a CNA and work in different departments, ortho, er, general surgery, at the time of application I had 600 HCE and by next year I should have 2500 because I work full time. 

I called the schools I interviewed at and they both said just to make my gpa more competitive. As far as taking more courses, I got off to a rocky start and have been steady since. I took two semester of the following: Bio, Gen Chem, Orgo, Physics, Human anatomy & physio. (I got Cs in Orgo, Gen Chem and physics. Bs & As in Bio and Human Anatomy Physio)

One semester of the following: Genetics, Microbio, Cell Bio, Med Term, and got As in those

One school told me NOT to repeat classes, that they really look down on it and stressed I should take more courses and bring up my 3.0 science GPA

I was thinking about taking biology courses as I do better in that subject, such as Intro to Pharmacology, Nutrition, Pathophysiology.

Thanks so much! This is a big hurdle in my application!

Here is the thing, every school is different. The whole application process is subjective. Take it from me, I applied to 13 schools, was invited to 7 interviews, and had multiple offers. Every school values something different. If you have a specific school in mind, do everything they tell you to. If you are trying make your application more appealing to many programs, I don't think retaking Chem classes is a bad plan. Once again GPA calculator. Caspa calculates your GPA the normal way. It will still factor in your old grades, but some programs only use your new ones.

How was your GRE? Also, if you are waiting to apply next year, 2.5k HCE is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm a big believer that an excellent personal statement can make or break an application. In the end, it's some random person who decides to invite you to the interview. A good statement can turn the tides.

Archived