Sending Thank You's after the interview

Hi all,

I would like to send a Thank You email to the program that I interviewed with, but unfortunately the program had a very informal group interview style and I was never interviewed one-on-one. The group interviewers did not even provide cards to those who asked (although I have located their direct emails online).

However,  I did speak with some other faculty members throughout the day and was given other cards. 

My question is would it be okay to send a general thank you email to the program email?

Should I email a thank you to those I did chat with, even if it wasn't during my "interview" session?

I am wondering what others did with such an informal interview session.

Thank you in advance!

I might send a thank you email to admissions and give a shout out to anyone whose name you have and know you spoke to- so like "Dear admissions committee, blah blah blah.... I enjoyed the presentation by all of the students and staff.... Evan James in particular spoke to me at length about the clinical rotations.... yadda yadda yadda...." That way it is clear, a. that you enjoyed the day and aren't just sending a thank you note because you are supposed to and b. that you were paying attention to who you spoke with.

Just be careful not to exclude anyone super important (like if you talked to the director for 25 minutes 1-1)

Hope that helps!

• Administrator

Agreed with the above.  I think one prompt, timely, succinct, and specific follow up message is best.  One page, 1-2 days max after interview, highlighting what you specifically liked about the experience and program, and reiterating your interest.  You can even go so far as to say why (again, specifics related to the interview experience) you think you are a good match for the program, but keep it pretty subtle and very professional about continuing to sell yourself to the program.  Expressing yourself well in writing might just be that tiebreaker that nudges you up from 'waitlist' to 'accept' if you were on the cusp.

Yes, I completely agree. I have been torn because the style of the interview was so impersonal, only tours and then a group portion with open discussion that I never really had the chance to introduce myself to the faculty of that portion. I did speak to some faculty members throughout waiting periods of the day but very casual again. So to me, I don't want to come off as fake. I thought a short email expressing my gratitude for the day was good but unsure if I should address those casual conversations with faculty??

• 1 year later...

Archived