Obtaining prescription meds( and the end of the world-emedpa!)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm... a good set of oral and nasal airways w/ a bag/valve mask... maybe not for hiking but good to have following the zombie apocolypse...

Did anyone mention antiseptic of some kind for cleaning potentially reusable supplies (like the BVM)? In a disaster the one-to-a-customer rule might go out the window in a hurry...

Um, let me mention what I do for my dog medical supplies (we do some advanced home healthcare on them sometimes).... let me know if this doesn't sound like it would be effective enough:

Betadyne swabs... super cheap and three or four in a litre of sterile water or saline and you have a disinfecting solution.

I don't know, we've been seeing cases of MRZA (methicillin-resistant zombie antigen) in our area, so the penicillin is useless. Thankfully Avelox is effective against every bug ever invented, so it's an easy fast track case.

that's all well and good until you come across a case of nosocomial mdr zi(multidrug resistant zombie infection). sure, you could throw avelox at it but you're just developing resistance...we use ffp(no, not fresh frozen plasma- flamethrower fallback protocol). no resistance yet.

[rant]I see this topic has spun wwaaayyy out of the scope of what I interpreted it to be coming from. Have some of you clicked on the link that Banuchi posted about his other website? Have you read any modern day survivalist literature? EOTWAWKI is "end of the world as we know it". This is the scenerio that some people are preparing for. They talk about having "bug out bags" which means "we gotta go, and we gotta go NOW". They discuss firearms for the purpose of defending their cache of goodies against their neighbors who did not prepare as well. How many of you made your way down to Hurricane Katrina during its crisis? Did you happen to notice how many people were being rescued from their attics DAYS after the flood? I know EMEDPA was in Haiti after the earthquake, any others? I am under the distinct impression that Contrarian serves as medical support in hostile war zones where they ARE the medicine in the bush, miles from anywhere friendly. I personally have a penchant for doing medicine deep in the wilderness where medical support is unreachable for days. When we go up on the mountain for hurt climbers, we go prepared with ALS gear, prepared to camp out for a few days. We don't want to, but can if need be. Air evac may be a possibility but not if the weather moves in and grounds flights.

If you have not priced the cost of a quality weapon and ammunition, let me fill you in. Popular, effective hand gun for self defense runs about 500-1000 bucks. Ammunition for it goes from about 35 cents a round (9 mm) to 50 cents a round (.45). These people shoot hundreds, if not thousands of rounds per month. I have read reports where people have stockpiled 1000 rounds per gun, and they have a dozen or more guns. The price of a few bottles of antibiotics is par for the course.

This isn't about being lost in the woods or coming across a car wreck. This discussion, as I interpreted it, was about The Calvary not coming...it's John Wayne time. Keep your loved ones alive and functional the best you can because back up is NOT on it's way.

Personally, I tend to not be as prepared for EOTWAWKI. I have a personal belief that people have feared the end of the world since the dawn of time and it hasn't arrived yet. My disbelief in the apacolypse may come back to bite my ***, but I'll take my chances. However, having our personal situation completely HOSED for a couple of weeks is a reality that I think is very real. Japan, Indonesia, Haiti, New Zealand, Greece, Chernobyl, Turkey, San Francisco, New Orleans and hundreds of other examples of how Mother Nature batted clean up and just really effed with the program for thousands of people in very recent past. I like to think that if things go sideways, my wife and I can keep things together for a couple of weeks. Hence, me reading sites that talk about survival and finding ideas that apply to my personal concerns.

Medical care laws and all that crap go out the window when the administration building, and the city block it was located on, is a pile of rubble and all their "regulations" are burning in a fire caused by a ruptured gas line.

[/rant]

that's all well and good until you come across a case of nosocomial mdr zi(multidrug resistant zombie infection). sure, you could throw avelox at it but you're just developing resistance...we use ffp(no, not fresh frozen plasma- flamethrower fallback protocol). no resistance yet.

Yeah, just make sure you are using a good hot flamethrower. Burning shuffling torches going into your shelter is bad news.

On another note if you haven't read World War Z yet, I highly recommend it.

Also hear Zombie Autopsies is good. Written by a pathologist if I recall correctly.

Yeah, just make sure you are using a good hot flamethrower. Burning shuffling torches going into your shelter is bad news.

On another note if you haven't read World War Z yet, I highly recommend it.

Also hear Zombie Autopsies is good. Written by a pathologist if I recall correctly.

Haha you sound like a PA co worker of mine...I am having a serious convo about a good book with a friend and he comes in and throws out "apocalyptic zombie" books as must reads. Good times in between patients

How little of these would you need if you just carried levaquin or avelox? covers just about everything....

Ummm...

Leaquin and avelox doesn't cover Mycosis, Malaria, Typhoid, Cholera, etc...

ALL things that WILL be a problem when any major regional disaster strikes and Your "Uncle Sugar" isn't in control anymore.

don't forget some form of fire-starter and mirror/reflector in your survival kit.

Yep... already have a few "bricks" of Costco disposable lighters spread out throughout my suppiles and kits.

No lecture intended. It is an acquired bias against healthcare provides a Paramedic obtains through experience. [You were "Lecturing"... just like NOW where YOU ASSume that YOU are the only Paramedic in this conversation]Medical practitioners, not in their element, make foolish mistakes. [so do many Paramedics in situations outside their scope of knowledge and training... like DISASTERS or practicing MEDICINE in situations and places where "Tertiary Care" is overwhelmed or simply isn't available. New Orleans would be a Great example of this scenario] Some would consider a school bus overturning as a disaster. [ummm they may be right to consider it as such... especially if my OR their child was on that bus... and in reality wouldn't be faulted for trying their level best to save atleast ONE life on the overturned SchoolBus] Maybe a person comes upon such while on their way to an "austere" location with their bag of goodies.

I assume we are here to learn from other's experience and knowledge. I welcome advice from others; if I don't agree then I pass on it. To call a post retarded, insinuates unprofessional character and is not what we should be about.

[Nope...!!!! Work on those reading and Comprehension Skillzs...

I didn't "call a post retarded"...

What I called RETARDED was relying on organized healthcare, government, etc... in a life or death/disaster situation.

Which means relying on organized medicine and tertiary care that is MINUTES away... when SECONDS count is R-E-T-A-R-D-E-D.

Its fine by me if YOU want to sit and watch people die needlessly during a disaster... because you have some unreasonable FEAR (false evidence appearing real??) of being the target of post apocalyptic litigation ... for attempting to use the knowledge and skills you have paid for and aquired over the yrs.

I'm cool with you doing this if thats what YOU are planning to do... Thats just NOT the plan I'm on...]

Now I'm gonna preach, feel free to skip this part:

Your response indicates you have never worked in the field outside an ER or clinical setting in the USA.

Ha..ha...

Spoken like a TRUE "ParaGod" who is relatively new here but somehow thinks he is here to enlighten...

I guess my driving the ParaBus around Fayetteville, and Chicago doesn't count in your world as working "in the field" in the USA...

Here is a thought, since YOU are kinda new here...

Maybe YOU should do just a wee-bit of research (read more/post less?) prior to coming here and LECTURING to us. I've found that "Knowing your audience" helps temper the tone and content of one's discourse...:wink:

This is NOT the "Pre-PA forum" or even the "PA Student forum" where there is a very good chance that you will be "LECTURING" to and debating with fresh faced kids who's HCE entailed working in the asisted living facility as a receptionist along with a few hundred hrs of watching others work (AKA shadowing) but have never actually touched a patient outside of PA school clinicals... but somehow seem to think they have all the answers to clinical practice and the direction of this profession...:heheh:

PLEASE keep this in mind when responding to long term posters in the PROFESSIONAL PA area of the PA-Forum. They MAY just have decades of actual experience in the topic being discussed.

Thanks...

Hope you are having a very PA day...

Contrarian, EMT-P, RN, FNP, PA-C

let me stir the pot a little :p ...

in one year when these meds expire what will it cost to replace them? Where do you live and what is the risk of natural disaster? On a population level what is the cost effectiveness of having these kits for personal use?

But bravo on preparedness ... people do not do enough, myself included.

If these meds are ordered with a DEA# as a provider (wholesale from a distributor like MooreMedical)... you may spend $350-$500/yr on that list. I spend more than this per yr on beer and ammo and I don't even drink, so not really a big deal TO ME when I consider that I make >100k/yr.

I also have quite a few really good friends with families that do not have and can not afford medical insurance... so I often donate some of the meds on that list for the occasional cellulitis, sinusitus, uti, etc...

Also... If you have a Healthcare FSA that is simply being given back to your employer every yr because your family isn't using the total 3k-5k/yr in APPROVED medical supplies and expenses... then you could use this FSA to purchase and re-stock a primo-emergency/disaster med kit.

My FSA is ~$5k/yr... my family of 5 typically uses ~ $1500/yr... and they won't give me the balance in cash (I asked!!). Sooo... I figured out another way to spend it so my employers wouldn't simply get the balance back as its a "benefit" that I lose if I don't use. Bought 2 AEDS last yr and gave one to my MIL cause my FIL is 90 and refuses to stop flying his twin engine Cessna 421. So we bought a bracket and had it mounted in the cabin of the plane.

As for "prepardness"...

My Brother, Sister and I all joined the military in the 80s.

He is currently a full time National Guard Non-Commissioned Officer, welder/fabricator.

She is a retired SeaBee (BU-Construction)

I was a Combat Engineer and Medic (EMT-B/I/P)

We ALL lived in the woods in tents in the military for my minimum of 8yrs her max of 23yrs.

We have ALL stood armed in Iraq within the last 5yrs with the most recent returning 2 weeks ago.

We were/are ALL NCOs and therefore WE are ALL current and proficient in Land Navigation, FieldCraft and the use of FireArms for defensive and Offensive operations. Combined, we own enough weapons and equipment to outfit a full combat company of soldiers. We have recently pooled some funds and purchased a remote tract of land off the grid, with the idea of this being the rendevous location should TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI should occur.

To that end...

We will start developing this land for this purpose.

I have two specially built rolling trunks in my garage.

The trunks were specifically built to fit in my two 4x4 vehicles (Suburban XLT and Jeep Wrangler).

There is a third trunk planned to fit in the Hummer I've been building.

These trunks ALWAYS contain enough Clothing, Food, Shelter, Ammo and basic supplies to sustain 3 families for a few days.

Some Items in these trunks are:

Katydyne Micron water Filters

Iodine Tabs

4 cases of MREs

3 Tents

E-Tools, Axes, Picks

~ 100 disposable lighters

Various layers of clothing and footwear

Various Packs, and collapsible containers for fuel and water storage and transport

Lots of rope, gloves and climbing gear

1000rds each of 9mm, 45, 5,56, 308 ammo, cleaning kits and spare parts for all weapons.

2 sets of BodyArmor, holsters, slings, camelbaks, etc.

~ 20 different light sources (crank, battery, chemical)

5 Fishing rods and reels with lots of tackle

Radios (5 gmrs 5 mile, 2 crank shortwave, 2 VHF offshore marine) lots of batteries

Etc...

Should the SHTF... we would load the trunks in the vehicles and attach the boat to the suburban.

The 2 generators, 2 welders (mig/tig & gas), plasma cutter, chopsaw, air compressor, and tool chest (hammers, nailers, levels, etc.) would all be loaded in the boat and covered.

We would then set out to meet my Siblings and their families at our remote location (far away from any road/traffic/population center) and hold up until things got better elsewhere...

For a glimpse at what could/would likely happen during a NATIONAL disaster please read:

"One Second After" by WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN

YMMV

Contrarian

Ummm...

Leaquin and avelox doesn't cover Mycosis, Malaria, Typhoid, Cholera, etc...

ALL things that WILL be a problem when any major regional disaster strikes and Your "Uncle Sugar" isn't in control anymore.

Yep... already have a few "bricks" of Costco disposable lighters spread out throughout my suppiles and kits.

Ha..ha...

Spoken like a TRUE "ParaGod" who is relatively new here but somehow thinks he is here to enlighten...

I guess my driving the ParaBus around Fayetteville, and Chicago doesn't count in your world as working "in the field" in the USA...

Here is a thought, since YOU are kinda new here...

Maybe YOU should do just a wee-bit of research (read more/post less?) prior to coming here and LECTURING to us. I've found that "Knowing your audience" helps temper the tone and content of one's discourse...:wink:

This is NOT the "Pre-PA forum" or even the "PA Student forum" where there is a very good chance that you will be "LECTURING" to and debating with fresh faced kids who's HCE entailed working in the asisted living facility as a receptionist along with a few hundred hrs of watching others work (AKA shadowing) but have never actually touched a patient outside of PA school clinicals... but somehow seem to think they have all the answers to clinical practice and the direction of this profession...:heheh:

PLEASE keep this in mind when responding to long term posters in the PROFESSIONAL PA area of the PA-Forum. They MAY just have decades of actual experience in the topic being discussed.

Thanks...

Hope you are having a very PA day...

Contrarian, EMT-P, RN, FNP, PA-C

If these meds are ordered with a DEA# as a provider (wholesale from a distributor like MooreMedical)... you may spend $350-$500/yr on that list. I spend more than this per yr on beer and ammo and I don't even drink, so not really a big deal TO ME when I consider that I make >100k/yr.

I also have quite a few really good friends with families that do not have and can not afford medical insurance... so I often donate some of the meds on that list for the occasional cellulitis, sinusitus, uti, etc...

Also... If you have a Healthcare FSA that is simply being given back to your employer every yr because your family isn't using the total 3k-5k/yr in APPROVED medical supplies and expenses... then you could use this FSA to purchase and re-stock a primo-emergency/disaster med kit.

My FSA is ~$5k/yr... my family of 5 typically uses ~ $1500/yr... and they won't give me the balance in cash (I asked!!). Sooo... I figured out another way to spend it so my employers wouldn't simply get the balance back as its a "benefit" that I lose if I don't use. Bought 2 AEDS last yr and gave one to my MIL cause my FIL is 90 and refuses to stop flying his twin engine Cessna 421. So we bought a bracket and had it mounted in the cabin of the plane.

As for "prepardness"...

He is currently a full time National Guard Non-Commissioned Officer, welder/fabricator.

We ALL lived in the woods in tents in the military for my minimum of 8yrs her max of 23yrs.

We have ALL stood armed in Iraq within the last 5yrs with the most recent returning 2 weeks ago.

We were/are ALL NCOs and therefore WE are ALL current and proficient in Land Navigation, FieldCraft and the use of FireArms for defensive and Offensive operations. Combined, we own enough weapons and equipment to outfit a full combat company of soldiers. We have recently pooled some funds and purchased a remote tract of land off the grid, with the idea of this being the rendevous location should TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI should occur.

To that end...

The trunks were specifically built to fit in my two 4x4 vehicles (Suburban XLT and Jeep Wrangler).

These trunks ALWAYS contain enough Clothing, Food, Shelter, Ammo and basic supplies to sustain 3 families for a few days.

Iodine Tabs

4 cases of MREs

3 Tents

E-Tools, Axes, Picks

Various Packs, and collapsible containers for fuel and water storage and transport

1000rds each of 9mm, 45, 5,56, 308 ammo, cleaning kits and spare parts for all weapons.

Radios (5 gmrs 5 mile, 2 crank shortwave, 2 VHF offshore marine) lots of batteries

Etc...

Should the SHTF... we would load the trunks in the vehicles and attach the boat to the suburban.

The 2 generators, 2 welders (mig/tig & gas), plasma cutter, chopsaw, air compressor, and tool chest (hammers, nailers, levels, etc.) would all be loaded in the boat and covered.

We would then set out to meet my Siblings and their families at our remote location (far away from any road/traffic/population center) and hold up until things got better elsewhere...

For a glimpse at what could/would likely happen during a NATIONAL disaster please read:

YMMV

Contrarian

I hope to be as prepared as you are one day! I’ve got the basics down. After my medical kit is completed, it’s on to weapons to protect all this stuff :)It's amazing how long a good disaster plan can take. I've been doing this on and off since January and I'm only about half way done.

The list you posted was really helpful. I'm adding on some epi-pens/epi-pen jrs as well as some liquid preparations for my kids. I have about 3K from FSA I can use but will need to wait until closer to January to determine if I will need it for something else. This is getting very expensive.

Contra,

You actually carry two sets of body armor, and have all that? Maybe you should discuss this with you psych SP.

I wasn't aware length of time on a internet board qualified as experience. I graduate from the University of Florida PA school in 1981. And worked as a Paramedic 9 years before that. If you are an RN-FNP you must have been one of the early PAs who didn't actually go to PA school but got grandfathered in. I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Send me a PM.

Go ahead, spend your money, put your license on the line. The business is great for our GDP.

Contra,

You actually carry two sets of body armor, and have all that? Maybe you should discuss this with you psych SP.

I wasn't aware length of time on a internet board qualified as experience. I graduate from the University of Florida PA school in 1981. And worked as a Paramedic 9 years before that. If you are an RN-FNP you must have been one of the early PAs who didn't actually go to PA school but got grandfathered in. I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Send me a PM.

Go ahead, spend your money, put your license on the line. The business is great for our GDP.

Sigh...

As a recent former Military contractor in Iraq, Afghanistan and Sudan (2005-mid 2007) I needed to purchase body armor for my deployments.

So YES... I actually own two sets of body armor.

As for the "length of time on a internet board qualified as experience" comment...

Its simply another indication that your reading and comprehension skillz are severly lacking and that YOU seem to think that you here to enlighten us versus actually reading and trying to understand what we are writing.

My comment was about the length of time YOU have been on THIS forum... and the silly a$$ed ASSumptions you still seem to be making about the audience/frequent posters here. Your Silly comments about what's legal, dangerous, litigeous, or those framed as if YOU are the only person here who knows what or when or where any OTHER PA-C's individual scope of practice starts and ends.

Silly a$$ed ASSumptions like this one:

If you are an RN-FNP you must have been one of the early PAs who didn't actually go to PA school but got grandfathered in.

For YOUR edification...

Until recently... Red Rocks, UC Davis, Stanford, and UND ALL had Dual FNP/PA programs. Now the UC Davis program is the only one left. The deal was that these programs only accepted students with SIGNIFICANT healthcare experience. Those accepted that were RNs... recieved both FNP AND PA-C credentials at graduation. All other students accepted into these programs only recieved PA credentials at graduation. So... your ASSumption is "off the mark" only in that we ALL ACTUALLY did attend a PA program... one that just happened to award FNP credentials to the handful of RNs in every class.

As for my money... or my license, YOU know nothing about either... so you outta just stop NOW...!!!

Here's a thought...

Try posting something that actually contributes to the topic at hand and resist the urge to lecture us as to how or why what the OP is asking can't or shouldn't be done...

If YOU can't resist...

Either go lecture in the Pre-PA section or better yet... READ more and POST less...!!!

Contrarian

What does body armor and thousands of rounds of ammo have to do with the OP's question?

Seems people that resort to profanity have a limited vocabulary, sounds like the case here. If I say something out of line, the Moderators will delete it. Otherwise you can ignore my posts. I'm going nowhere.

I noticed you do not identify yourself or your state in your profile. Something to hide? Send me a PM and we can discuss further with at least a proper name and state. Mine are not hidden, check my profile.

As for "prepardness"...

To that end...

Iodine Tabs

4 cases of MREs

3 Tents

E-Tools, Axes, Picks

Etc...

YMMV

Contrarian

to throw in a few more ..... OMG WTH are you thinking - now that the world didn't end last week what are you doing?

Seriously, that is a crazy amount of stuff to stockpile and the chances of you being "one of the lucky one's" when the SHTF is minimal at best. Glad to see you supporting the american industrial complex with retail therapy but gotta say this is over the edge (coming from someone the grew up in the woods on a farm and still lives in the county - not a city boy....) Course I might be totally and completely wrong - so what is your address??? HeeHeeHee

I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to have a few weeks of food and water, basic medical supplies and tools, cook stove, tents, etc in case of national emergency. if you can hold out for 2-3 weeks without assistance that should get you through almost anything short of WW3. most folks who camp or backpack regularly probably have most of these supplies already, just need to add some food and water. keep in mind that many homes have more free water than you think( hot water heaters, hot tubs, the back-not the front-of toilets contains clean water-although I would still filter it- fish tanks, etc

I undertand the temptation to prepare for any contingency and know folks who have done this to the extent of fallout shelter with filters which screen out nuclear contamination, etc

What does body armor and thousands of rounds of ammo have to do with the OP's question?

Seems people that resort to profanity have a limited vocabulary, sounds like the case here. If I say something out of line, the Moderators will delete it. Otherwise you can ignore my posts. I'm going nowhere.

I noticed you do not identify yourself or your state in your profile. Something to hide? Send me a PM and we can discuss further with at least a proper name and state. Mine are not hidden, check my profile.

Its funny how each time YOU write something galactically stupid... get called on it and corrected, you simply move on to something else equally asinine and stupid... :heheh:

Apparently, YOU are also new to the internet forum setting and don't understand the concepts of "PERSEC" and "OPSEC."

So explaining why it isn't a good idea for anyone on here to post their name and location... especially someone who has and may again deploy to high threat areas is considered poor form and a security breech would be fruitless since its obvious YOU have no true desire to learn, Knows everything and is only here to educate us...

Again... for YOUR edification...

Over the yrs... there have been incidences where folks on internet forums (even this one) has printed out threads or postings of others and used the info obtained there to undermine or destroy the credibility and livihoods of others.

The most recent one that comes to mind is where a poster here "vented" about unsatisfactory practice conditions and pay negotiations. Only to have a fellow PA co-worker print out his posts and present them to his boss for "brownie points." That PA eventually lost that job... rejoined the military and was recently killed.

Some of the longterm posters will remember this incident.

So... feel free to post YOUR name, address, date of birth, practice location and social security number on this open forum. Doing so will be congruent with the other idiotic statements you've made here.

When I first got into military contracting... I was suprised to learn that my required security clearance was almost denied because of a few strongly worded opinions floating around on the internet under my name. Imagine my suprise, back in 2005, when I got a personal call from the Chief Operations Officer of a well known global military contracting firm one night and was implicitly instructed to "clean up" and make my internet presence anonymous. The owner of this site and a few of the mods may remember this time frame because WE purged most/all of my posts that had identifying info contained in them.

Do some research on the concepts of "OPSEC" & "PERSEC."

As for PMing YOU...

I'm married, straight and not looking for a buddy or date...!!!

I couldn't care less WHAT is on your profile... as I'm just not interested...:kiss:

Have a very PA day...

Contrarian

to throw in a few more ..... OMG WTH are you thinking - now that the world didn't end last week what are you doing?

Seriously, that is a crazy amount of stuff to stockpile and the chances of you being "one of the lucky one's" when the SHTF is minimal at best. Glad to see you supporting the american industrial complex with retail therapy but gotta say this is over the edge (coming from someone the grew up in the woods on a farm and still lives in the county - not a city boy....) Course I might be totally and completely wrong - so what is your address??? HeeHeeHee

Ventana... the list of stuff above wasn't "stuff to stockpile"...

Its simply stuff accumulated during a thus far active life with various interests and hobbies.

Believe it or not... the only things purchased for STHF was:

MREs and 3 of the radios.

The water purification stuff, GPS, a few light sources, and crank radio was in my pack when I spent the yr flying around Sub-Sahara Africa in those little planes that seemed to want to keep breaking down. I also kept ABX, mosquito repellent and netting and 3 litres of H2O in that pack and took it EVERYwhere I went.

Early in that particular deployment... the other guys on the team used to laugh at me when we would go on "day-trips" and I would bring my medical bag and this personal pack. Typically, we would leave our basecamp in Juba Sudan at 0600, fly 2-6hrs to visit a remote site where we were building one of 10 bases, then return to Juba by 2000hrs.

They stopped laughing when one time the plane lost alileron control mid flight and we had to emergency land in Uganda. I was the ONLY person on that plane with a toothbrush, deordorant, soap, a 500cc Flask of "Johnny Walker Black," both malaria prophalaxis and treatment, A PASSPORT, 500 tabs of Doxycycline, flashlights & knives (2 is 1 and 1 is NONE), 50ft of 550cord, a few caribiners, 50ft of duct tape, Iodine tablets, a water filter and 3 liters of clean but warm water.

Then a few weeks later... a pilot we hired had a CVA mid flight so we basically got "stranded" again and had to live in the bush for 2 days. Again... I was the ONLY person prepared, but never after this incident.

Some of the other stuff was "life support" equipment that I carried daily in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So while it may seem... to those that haven't been here fellowshiping for the last decade... that I'm paranoid, have lost my damned mind and that I may think that "the end is near"...

That is far from the case.

Most of this stuff was purchased for immeadiate use in real world situations in remote/austere/dangerous places that I was actually spending LOTS of time in.

When I got back... was I suppose to just throw the equipment away...???

Let it slowly clutter my garage...??? Or find a use for all this stuff that I had already either purchased or was issued...?????

I chose to "re-package" it so that it would/could be useful in the event of a disaster.

Remember the Total Chaos & Mass Confusion during Katrina...???

Now imagine that magnified and spread across the nation if a NATIONAL disaster was to occur.

Imagine the level of Anarchy with NO Police, No EMS system, NO electricity and only 3-5 days worth of food in the system at any given time.

It could take 3-4-6-10 WEEKS for the Feds/State governments to get organized and be of any assistance. Meanwhile the frail elderly and Diabetics will have mostly died off. Then we will statr seeing lots of folks falling to simple easily treated stuff, like cellulitis, pnuemonia, influenza, Sepsis. Things we now consider Simple illnesses will be killing thousands.

Who is gonna purify and pump YOUR water...? The Plant will be offline. (cholera/typhoid)

Where are YOU gonna get food on day 10...?? There will be NO food in stores!!!

Rationing will be required but will take some time to set up.

The "Wolves" will be licking their lips looking at the "Sheeple."

Looting, Rape, Murder, Home invasions, etc. will be common.

The "Sheeple" will be cowering and regularly victimized... waiting on the "Sheepdogs" to save them.

It will NOT be pretty.

PLEASE READ "ONE SECOND AFTER"

So in reality...

Lots of the stuff on the above list is just stuff I've accumulated over the yrs.

An example of this is ALL the metal working equipment.

Much of it was purchased in 2003 when my son and I decided to build a Hummer from flat metal.

I looked at this as a opportunity for a "bonding" experience with my then teen son, so bought the equipment and a few books. Then we taught ourselves how to shape and weld metal. We have since built a few motorbikes with this same equipment.

So this was not bought specifically for a SHTF moment, but I can see how this equipment could be useful in that scenario so intend to bring it along. Especially when you consider that my brother is a welder/fabricator by trade and my sister is a navy trained construction guru.

Brother-Metal

Sister-Wood/masonry/electricity

Me-Medicine

All three of us are trained and VERY comfortable with a Rifle, Pistol and in the dirt/woods.

Yep... and every few yrs... I distrubute the MREs to the local homeless folks hanging out on the highway "Off ramps" begging for "money for food"... and replace them with a few cases of new ones.

Its kinda funny when they expect me to give them cash and I hand them 3-4 MREs... :heheh:

One thing to consider when developing a kit for medical emergencies is the environment you will be in and the circumstances that put you there. Are you camping at the lake with family and friends, are you sailing on a boat making a transoceanic passage? Or are you holed up with a few close family and friends when TEOTWAWKI occurs? ETT are practically useless if you are in a remote or isolated environment with little or no hope of transferring an intubated patient to a facility with a ventilator. Likewise, how useful is it to carry around IVF for treatment of burns when there is no evacuation point, and care starts and ends with you and only you? I am not advocating or vilifying either ETT or IVF, simply recommending that each individual keep in mind the "end point" of care for whatever medical intervention they undertake while in an austere environment, and then build the appropriate kit for that end point.

Last year two buddies and I helped a fourht individual move a boat that he had just bought from Matagorda Bay in Texas to Ft Lauderdale Florida. We sailed the 40ft single mast sailboat straight across the gulf of Mexico. Unfortunately, because of certain incidents that were occurring (thanks a lot BP) we were forced to plot a course well south into the Gulf, far from US territorial waters. The gentleman that we were moving the boat for was an elderly man (82) and was on the voyage with us. There was some concern as to his health, and because I am the "medical professional" (the other two are EMT, and we are all firefighters) I was nominated the "medical officer" Essentially, I had to build a kit and bring it with. Being that we were on a sailboat, we were very cramped for space. I must have rebuilt the kit six times before I finally had it down to bare essentials. In the process, I lost the BVM and ETT, all but four liters of NS, and the liter of sterile water. I basically had a trauma and medicine kit. Luckily no incidents occurred on the voyage, which was cut short by strong headwinds and a busted prop.

Just my two cents. Oh, and contrarian, I like your packing list and TEOTWAWKI plans... I have similar ideas, but far less actual solid action.

Most of the stuff fits in the two plywood boxes.

I built the boxes from 3/4" thick plywood to the exact dimensions to fit inside the back of my Jeep Wrangler and Chevy Suburban and then had them "rhinolined." They are on wheels so are easy to roll around the garage and on/off the vehicles. Since I'm pretty handy with a table saw and screwgun... it only cost me ~ $80 in materials and a couple hrs to build the boxes. The rhinoliner folks only charged me $30 to encaspulate both boxes.

Fireguy...

To your point about tailoring the kit to the environment and mission...

YOu are absolutely correct.

The medical kit I take on my boat when we go Island traipsing is different from the one I take into the mountains.

While I do have a few ETTs.... I expect to rely mostly on NPO airways and a bag if it comes to that...

As for IVF... I'm thinking fluid resus and medication vehicle... and since I won't be carrying it on my back like in my Army days... I can have as much 0.9 as I think I need in the medical chest/trunk and add anything I think I need to it depending on the patient/situation.

YMMV

Contrarian

Remember the Total Chaos & Mass Confusion during Katrina...???

Now imagine that magnified and spread across the nation if a NATIONAL disaster was to occur.

Imagine the level of Anarchy with NO Police, No EMS system, NO electricity and only 3-5 days worth of food in the system at any given time. Contrarian

I experienced Katrina first hand and wish I had been more prepared than I was at the time. The scenario Contrarian described above is NOT fantasy. Even in the next closest, biggest city to New Orleans this was our situation. Imagine waiting in multiple lines for multiple hours each for food and gasoline. Several times after waiting for 3 hours in line for gas the station would run out, thats when TSHTF. I have never seen so many ordinary people descend into absolute lawlessness so quickly. It was a very eye opening experience for me. The pictures of what happened down here only tell half the story; overnight this area turned into a third world country.

contrarian: good post on gear and supplies/meds, dont forget cash, and silver/gold in small dom.

Thanks but don't think I'll really need much cash/silver/gold... as most forms of currency will likely be USEless... so it will probably be all about the "barter & exchange"....

A quote from a really good friend of mine:

TreeHugger who spots Concealed Weapon in My buddy's holster: "Oh my god...!!! YOU got a gun...!!! Guns are dangerous...!!! Why do you think YOU need to carry a gun"...

Retired Special Forces Medic buddy of mine: "When SECONDS count... the police are MINUTES away"... AND sometimes my credit card doesn't work...!!! [sly wink-big grin]

:heheh:

Archived