$230K for MPA/MPH Program

It's a very rough estimate but my personal feeling is your educational debt shouldn't be much more than 20% above one year's expected salary. 230k for a PA degree is more than twice most PA salaries. I think it's criminal that the school is charging this...but somebody will pay it. Part of what kept me from going back to med school for 11 yr after PA school was the cost (which of course just got more expensive). When I had the opportunity to do it for $170k I could almost stomach it knowing my salary as a physician will be around $200k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

What are some of the cheapest schools then, for comparison? 

For PA programs or dual programs?

Any state college/university in which you are a resident will most likely be cheaper than a private program.  The 'big' private schools all seem to have pretty similar tuition rates and are usually comparable to paying out of state tuition at a state college.  You also have to consider cost of living, though which makes it a whole new ballgame.

I'm sure combinations exist that seem much less daunting than others; the PAEA site might have answers.

Stanford/Foothill AT THIS TIME is around 60k for tuition. And an extra 10k for the MMS from St. Francis U. This is the benefit of the partnership with Foothill. U get a Stanford education at a much lower cost (though it is significantly more expensive than any of their "regular" courses at Foothill. Like 20x the cost).

This will be going away though in the next couple of years as they will be granting the Masters from Stanford and will dissolve their Foothill relationship, so the cost will surely skyrocket.

I think Riverside Community College is still the cheapest in California. Then u can do any postgraduate masters program like Nebraska, ATSU or Nova etc.

Still these would be much cheaper than what you posted. I for one see no advantage in clinical practice in getting a MPH... Or a MS for that matter.

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

For comparison-- I went to a nationally ranked school with 100% pass rate on PANCE and paid about $30,000 for tuition. My total debt  (I did not work) for tuition and expenses was about $100k.

My payment is affordable, I can not even imagine how it would be if that payment was 2.5x as much! Keep in mind that any money you borrow is stacking up interest from the moment the money is disbursed to your school. At the super awesome rates the gov is offering these days, you can bet on a few tens of thousands tacked on to your loan amount by the time you graduate.

For PA programs or dual programs?

Any state college/university in which you are a resident will most likely be cheaper than a private program.  The 'big' private schools all seem to have pretty similar tuition rates and are usually comparable to paying out of state tuition at a state college.  You also have to consider cost of living, though which makes it a whole new ballgame.

I'm sure combinations exist that seem much less daunting than others; the PAEA site might have answers.

PA programs. I have seen 6k (guessing that was in the past), and a bunch of 30k's. I may need to brush up on my googling but have yet to find a site or page where schools have been organized by cost. Very concerned about money is all. I will get out of undergrad with no debt and would like to keep that positive momentum going.

PA programs. I have seen 6k (guessing that was in the past), and a bunch of 30k's. I may need to brush up on my googling but have yet to find a site or page where schools have been organized by cost. Very concerned about money is all. I will get out of undergrad with no debt and would like to keep that positive momentum going.

I doubt you'll find a reliable site where programs are organized by cost.  But the PAEA site does list all programs and if I remember correctly they list cost as well - it will give you an idea, maybe not exact costs as schools change yearly.  It will save you from having to go to each programs website and hunting doing tuition.

I doubt you'll find a reliable site where programs are organized by cost.  But the PAEA site does list all programs and if I remember correctly they list cost as well - it will give you an idea, maybe not exact costs as schools change yearly.  It will save you from having to go to each programs website and hunting doing tuition.

I'm not sure if they removed all tuition data or just from the programs I looked at (I haven't gone through all of them), but I don't think that information is there. 

I'm not sure if they removed all tuition data or just from the programs I looked at (I haven't gone through all of them), but I don't think that information is there. 

Yea I just spot checked - looks like PAEA is in the process of updating that to make it easier to compare...so eventually that'll be a good place to check.

Archived