Cardiothoracic Surgery Salary talk

I know there have been some talks about salaries but as we know salaries differ if you go state to state and field to field.

I found most of the salaries listed in Ortho.

Any one out there in Cardiothoracic or Cardiovascular surgery that would mind sharing what they make and where they are?

Thanks Monika

• 8 months later...

I'm a new grad, had several Ortho and CT job offers. I was able to leverage my previous sports medicine experience and annual salary surveys for higher salary in the Ortho positions. However, in the CT area I was not. I used the APACVS, AAPA, and Advanced for PA and NP's also has a smaller survey they preform. I was told by one hospital the APACVS is inflated and they did not consider it valid.

I took a CT and transplant position in the midwest making below 80's at base. I should note the midwest does not seem to be the most friendly PA states, nor progressive in their salary.

I'm a new grad, had several Ortho and CT job offers. I was able to leverage my previous sports medicine experience and annual salary surveys for higher salary in the Ortho positions. However, in the CT area I was not. I used the APACVS, AAPA, and Advanced for PA and NP's also has a smaller survey they preform. I was told by one hospital the APACVS is inflated and they did not consider it valid.

I took a CT and transplant position in the midwest making below 80's at base. I should note the midwest does not seem to be the most friendly PA states, nor progressive in their salary.

I want to join the people defending the APACVS salary survey. I have seen accusations of inflation in the past. However, it has been my experience that it is pretty accurate. I recently returned from the Winter Meeting in Ft. Lauderdale. I mentioned the accusations to a few PAs that I know from around the country. They were also under the impression that the numbers were a fair representation.

I want to join the people defending the APACVS salary survey. I have seen accusations of inflation in the past. However, it has been my experience that it is pretty accurate. I recently returned from the Winter Meeting in Ft. Lauderdale. I mentioned the accusations to a few PAs that I know from around the country. They were also under the impression that the numbers were a fair representation.

My advice to ATCLATEMTB is to get in the specialty and get experience, work towards getting your CAQ, and consider working towards the FAPACVS designation. Joining APACVS is a big deal for education, networking, and advocacy. You will eventually get paid what you deserve.

In the name of full disclosure, I am currently an APACVS Board Member. I understand that my views can be seen as biased but I joined and participate in leadership because I believe in the group.

My advice to ATCLATEMTB is to get in the specialty and get experience, work towards getting your CAQ, and consider working towards the FAPACVS designation. Joining APACVS is a big deal for education, networking, and advocacy. You will eventually get paid what you deserve.

In the name of full disclosure, I am currently an APACVS Board Member. I understand that my views can be seen as biased but I joined and participate in leadership because I believe in the group.

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to see the survey before being a member? I'm currently interviewing for a CVS position, and I'll certainly join if I get the job, but not if I go another way and end up in a different specialty. It would be helpful to be able to negotiate prior to hiring, as I'm sure I can't go back later and say "see you should have started me higher."

Is there a way to see the survey before being a member? I'm currently interviewing for a CVS position, and I'll certainly join if I get the job, but not if I go another way and end up in a different specialty. It would be helpful to be able to negotiate prior to hiring, as I'm sure I can't go back later and say "see you should have started me higher."

IF you can't get the survey you can still see the national average which is listed on the ADVANCE site. If you are new to total hip replacement specialty then you don't have much negotiation room outside the lower side of the national average. If there are already PAs at the practice that is the best place to start.

When I entered cardiac, I took a low starting salary, proved myself, and negotiated up in a year.

IF you can't get the survey you can still see the national average which is listed on the ADVANCE site. If you are new to total hip replacement specialty then you don't have much negotiation room outside the lower side of the national average. If there are already PAs at the practice that is the best place to start.

When I entered cardiac, I took a low starting salary, proved myself, and negotiated up in a year.

There is a big investment by the CT surgeons to train a new grad, so 80k is probably reasonable to start. I sure as heck wouldn't take less. Especially since you'll get hammered with 60 hour weeks. But once you get to 2 years experience, you have a lot of leverage and can command a lot of money. There is a real shortage of experienced CT PAs. Our practice can't hire one. We've been trying for a year. And everyone wants $130k+.

There is a big investment by the CT surgeons to train a new grad, so 80k is probably reasonable to start. I sure as heck wouldn't take less. Especially since you'll get hammered with 60 hour weeks. But once you get to 2 years experience, you have a lot of leverage and can command a lot of money. There is a real shortage of experienced CT PAs. Our practice can't hire one. We've been trying for a year. And everyone wants $130k+.

Archived