Would a "short residency" help a new grad get hired in California?

Hello all!

I'm a second year student at a school which offers a "mini residency" after graduation. The "residency" is essentially a long clinical rotation designed to give some extra experience in your field of choice. It lasts about 3 months, charges tuition, and is near my school which is nowhere near Cali.

I'm from the Bay and hope to work there after graduation. I'm allowed to have a couple rotations out there, but I won't have many connections when I graduate.

Since the Bay Area market isn't very friendly for new grads, I'm wondering if this "mini residency" option is worthwhile?

• 1 year later...

If you could do this extended rotation in California at a place you'd consider working, it would be a great networking opportunity.

If I were in your shoes, however, I'd be weighing the pros and cons not only of that extra tuition, but also lack of paychecks for 3 months.  I'm sure you've done the numbers and thought about that...

I also wonder whether a future employer would question why a school is offering a 3 month 'residency' for their grads.  Is it that the school lacks confidence in its ability to produce well-trained grads? (devils advocate...that is what they may think)

If it's basically just extra clinical rotations (which, let's be honest, it basically is) I'd vote no.  Regardless of the field you want to go into.

Take as many rotations in CA as you can get and network like hell while you're out there.  Do extra shifts if you can.  Attend meetings/grand rounds/local PA stuff if it's happening.

You can make as many contacts as you aim to.  Doing 3 extra months of a 'residency' nowhere near CA won't earn you any extra contacts/connections, just extra debt.

If you think a residency will help you get your foot in the door in CA (I have no idea if it will), consider doing a REAL residency that will earn you REAL experience, and even better if you can do one in CA.  An extra clinical rotation still makes you a new grad even if they call it a 'mini residency'.  You still have no work experience at the end of it and you're several months behind your classmates and fellow graduates in obtaining that real work experience.

Archived