I'm a recent grad and am looking for my first job. One place called and asked me if I had my letters of recommendations ready. She said "Just for future, you should have these on hand." This caught me off guard. Should I have these done before even applying for any jobs? Should the letters of recommendation be generalized or specific to the job I am applying for? Does this mean I have to ask my references for new letters of recommendations for every job I apply for? Any input is appreciated! Thank you!  

• Upvote 1

you list references in CV and they will talk to them if they want. When I hired someone before, I wanted to know the answers tu my specific questions and I could also judge the tone and enthusiasm of the person on the other side... who needs some generic LOR???

I'm a recent grad and am looking for my first job. One place called and asked me if I had my letters of recommendations ready. She said "Just for future, you should have these on hand." This caught me off guard. Should I have these done before even applying for any jobs? Should the letters of recommendation be generalized or specific to the job I am applying for? Does this mean I have to ask my references for new letters of recommendations for every job I apply for? Any input is appreciated! Thank you!  

This isn't the norm in my experience. You list references and they contact them if they desire. A LOR can be faked and have a date on them so they have a shelf life. The best references are current. It would give me pause if my potential future employer really thought that was how things are supposed to be.

Nope, that's not the norm.  I just went through this and interviewed at multiple places.  All of them just wanted contact info to give them a call.  Having a references document ready to be sent is a good idea but I wouldn't send it until asked.  None of the places even asked me for my references until I had gone through 1-2 phone interviews and they wanted me to come out for a site visit.

I can understand what various issues you face during jobs in various speciality.As I am part of recruiting firm I am here to suggest you some points.Please go through it will definitely help you in many ways.I have my own job portal regarding medical career go through it once and see all steps of applying jobs .This whole process takes place online you don't need to go anywhere it can consume your time in best way.Read more about it at doctor jobs .

Traditionally, you list references or list "references on request" on your CV when you apply for jobs. I recommend the latter; you apply for way more jobs than you end up interested in. Then you can alert your references when to expect a call.

A generic letter of recommendation is not very useful. It doesn't let the hiring manager ask the questions he or she is interested in, given the particulars of the job for which the applicant is being considered.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Habb31719
      I wanted to know if anyone could add any input on this; 
      I had requested a PA for a letter of evaluation. He was happy to agree to give one. I also had sent him a copy of my resume just because I thought that was the appropriate thing to do. 
      last week at work him had mentioned two things... he had brought it up to me that I didn't have my GPA posted on my resume and asked if if I was planning to put it on my resume. he also started asking me things like "do you want me to just not address GPA at all then?". So, for the copy of the resume I had sent to her, I didn't put my GPA in because I didn't think it was going to be helpful (my undergrad is a 3.35 which is not competitive) The whole purpose of sending him a 1 page resume was so that he could know a little more of what I have done in undergrad; like, have a little more amount of information of who I am outside of scribing. (I've been a scribe for about 9 months; about 5 of those months have been heavily involved with this particular PA, so although we haven't had many conversations personally its not like I am a stranger to him 
      The other thing that he requested is if I had personal statement finished. I will sincerely admit, I am quite behind on the application process as my personal statement still has work to do; I told him it's still being written. He asked if she should have a summary of it or something like that so he has more details to flesh out his evaluation letter. 
      I told her I would email her about the GPA issue and the personal statement summary because he was asking out loud in front of the other doctors and employees in the nurses station and I was a little shy to answer. I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting him to ask those questions.
      So here is what I was asking: 
      1. Should I have 3.35 on my resume at all? (I was a public health major)
      2. Is giving a personal statement/summary super necessary for you LOR evaluators? Because I really have alot more to do on my PS so I'm not sure how I can make a good summary in a short amount of time to give him; as well as the other evaluators.
    • By Finntastic
      So I'm trying to figure out who I should ask for letters of recommendation for this upcoming application cycle. I know that I could get very solid ones from three people I work under, but they would all be from the same place. I'm wondering if it would be better to ask at least one person away from work for variety, but also in risk of getting a less robust letter...
    • By boomboompaopao
      Hello All,

Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida is looking to add another PA. We currently have 3 Surgeons and 4 PA's. Salary is based on experience. If you or anyone you know may be interested, feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

Paolo Calizo, PA-C
      paopaocali@gmail.com
    • By boomboompaopao
      Hello All,

Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida is looking to add another PA. We currently have 3 Surgeons and 4 PA's. Salary is based on experience. If you or anyone you know may be interested, feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

Paolo Calizo, PA-C
      paopaocali@gmail.com
    • By alscial777
      What? 
      Per diem job opportunity described as easy, straight-forward, laidback, fun with good pay. Expect low-acuity urgent care cases.
      Where?
      Manhattan
      When? 
      Various open shifts throughout September and upcoming months w/ a particular need for weekend coverage
      Full-time Sept 27-Oct 12
      How?
      If you have any questions, message me directly. 
      If you have interest, please email your resume to alexandrajscialdone@gmail.com.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More