Interesting in PA program but need HELP!

Keep in mind that even though you may complete the prerequisites by junior year, you will still need a baccalaureate degree before you can enter into a program. I would wait at least until your senior year to apply and that will give you more time to prepare your application. 

Applying at the end of your junior year is starting to become the new norm. I, along with a lot of my classmates, applied at the end of their junior year so they didn't have to take a year off of school. Just make sure you have the majority of your pre-reqs done and have a reliable amount of HCE at the time of your application. Many of the older folks here will hate on this approach, just a FYI. They'd say it's a risk to our patients to put "immature", young, people with less HCE (< 10 years) as health care providers in the health care system. I say it's bogus. Times are changing...

Just make sure you'll have your bachelors done before the date of matriculation.

...it's a risk to our patients to put "immature", young, people with less HCE (< 10 years) as health care providers in the health care system. I say it's bogus. Times are changing...

LOL

To OP; yes it's possible to apply during your junior year. If you meet the minimum  HCE and pre-req requirements (preferably to exceed them) go ahead and hit that submit button. 

I would just say do your research in what programs you apply to. Some programs are more open to younger applicants than others. For example my class is young with a significant amount of students being 22 years old. My advice would be to look for programs that count shadowing as HCE, versus schools that only accept paid, certified experience. You could make an argument these types of schools are attempting to recruit a different type of applicant.

Applying at the end of your junior year is starting to become the new norm. I, along with a lot of my classmates, applied at the end of their junior year so they didn't have to take a year off of school. Just make sure you have the majority of your pre-reqs done and have a reliable amount of HCE at the time of your application. Many of the older folks here will hate on this approach, just a FYI. They'd say it's a risk to our patients to put "immature", young, people with less HCE (< 10 years) as health care providers in the health care system. I say it's bogus. Times are changing...

Just make sure you'll have your bachelors done before the date of matriculation.

Eh, I know plenty of 22 yr olds that have the knowledge and maturity.  However, I don't know many 22 yr olds that have the professionalism I would want to see working on my team.  I also personally think it's rare to know at 22, or 18 if OP is a freshman currently, what career you want to do for the rest of your life without exploring other/more options.  

So, yes, OP you can apply at the end of your junior year.  Only you know if that's the right decision for yourself.

Archived