$145/hr for EM PAS in south Texas??

I'm in south Texas for a few days and am talking with a local physician (FP boarded but works EM x 7 yrs)....he tells me locum EM PAS are making $145/hr for 12 hr shifts.

I couldn't believe it, but this seems to be stand up guy, and he showed me text from his PA buddy saying he made $145/hr.

Of course, this is TX where there is a free standing ER every mile....

Anyone else know about these??

Curious where at. I have made that with double time but nothing regular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

on holidays at my last union job I made double time and a half. 150/hr. Sure, I can work 4th of July or memorial day for that! the ER boarded docs were making 100/hr at that time.

Curious where at. I have made that with double time but nothing regular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

In the southeast. This ED struggles to get docs & APPs and when the scheduler gets desperate she offers 150 to the APPs. I only pick up those shifts lol, I am not sure what the regular pay is. I hear the docs make a killing too.

I was working EM on east coast making base plus RVU and averaged 74 an hour at the end of the year for my first job out of school ( PAs worked fast track, intermediate, the overnight PA worked cardiac while doc worked critical, and we all took shifts in dedicated pediatric ER and took mental health evals. required  ACLS, ATLS, PALS). I now work in the southwest in retail medicine making 55 hour with available bonus and plenty of overtime. The new job requires I understand in detail coding and billing unlike the ER gig. I never realized how changing a wording can make such a drastic difference in return. During my training at the first job nobody showed me how to chart or bill (the ER gig was very autonomous, if you think you can handle it, take it). Now I realized how much money I left on the table. I was told the Docs at my prior ER averaged 300 per hour ( a lot of critical care time billing ), I know for a fact 2 PAs cleared well over 200k (took any patient available for the RVU) at 12-15 shifts a month. I moved due to my girlfriend getting an amazing opportunity, but I would go back to that ER in a heart beat knowing what I know now. 

EMEDPA,  "Dude" you have made negative comments on retail medicine before.  No I do not work in retail medicine but let everyone work where they want.  We all attempt to heal our patients whether it be a cold or MI..

PS Congrats on your doctorate.

EMEDPA,  "Dude" you have made negative comments on retail medicine before.  No I do not work in retail medicine but let everyone work where they want.  We all attempt to heal our patients whether it be a cold or MI..

PS Congrats on your doctorate.

He was clearly making a joke.  Lighten up. :)

No he wasn't.  # 1 he did not respond.  #2 like I said he made similar negative remarks a few years ago regarding someone who was doing retail medicine.  It may not be for him.  Ok! But don't make negative remarks because it isn't for you!   You can PM me if you wish.

I didn't respond because I was out of town. if you check you will find no posts for > 24 hrs.

yes, it was a JOKE. I'm sorry if anyone took offense. EM to retail medicine is a major switch and not one many ER folks would chose to make, thus " it must be true love".

Lighten up Francis.

Archived