New Grad training - is this normal?

I've done some asking around to Derm PAs to get a sense for what is and isn't reasonable as a new grad hoping to get into dermatology. I have a potential offer from a doc, he hasn't yet mentioned numbers, but said during training he pays the PAs as RNs and does not put them on his license until they have completed the 6 mos to 1 yr training period, because frankly there is too great of a knowledge gap and it is a risk for him. I understand his reasoning, to some degree, as he referred to it, it would be a residency and he pays residency salaries during training. Just hoping to get some other input regarding this topic. I am not trying to make 6 figures, I really want to be well trained. However, I guess without any prior experience, where do I draw the line on what to accept? Also he mentioned I could train part-time with him, because he feels it is important to have internal medicine/family medicine experience too he suggested I get a PT general practice job to balance the pay and help bolster my experience. I'm assuming it is not common to get benefits in a PT job, but wanted to get feedback on any other concessions I might be able to ask for if I'm only with him part time? Any feedback is appreciated!

do not accept a job for rn wages. you are not "on his license". you have your own license and he is your collaborating physician.

he will make a lot of money off you over the years(millions of dollars if you stay there a while). he needs to treat you well up front in return for more money later.

EMED... the not putting me on "his license" was a strange statement, I have a license, and I couldn't make sense of what he was trying to say. Diggy...since this posting I talked to another derm pa in the area (8yrs experience) who said not to focus on the salary, but focus on the training, as salaries in this area (Carolinas) tend to be low "training/residency" type pay for new grads until they demonstrate they are profitable. I want to do derm but I also want to no be ripped off. I don't know what an RN salary is specifically, but I'm hoping to come to a sensible agreement in the in person interview.

I'm thinking that's what he was alluding to, but in other interviews I've had where they know I'm a new grad and I've asked about credentialing, NPI, etc, no one has ever made this sort of statement. It is very confusing.  I want to clear this up in the interview, and thanks to all for responding so I can go in with my eyes wide open!

Also, a real residency from a respected institution is an investment in your education that should help you get better and higher paying jobs down the road. All this job does for your resume is to say you had a routine, low paying job. Also, please realize that most employers consider training to be an investment THEY make in their employees because well trained employees are worth more to them, do a superior job, and have fewer problems. i.e. make fewer mistakes. Furthermore, is it six months or one year. It isn't both. There's a big difference and I'll bet he has the latter in mind. Finally, what training will you get? Will he really mentor you, get you involved in more complex procedures, and really help you to develop skills or will you just be doing skin tags, acne and warts?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived