From LPN to PA. No Bachelors...yet

I decided to become a P.A a few years ago. I made the decision to become an LPN first, before going back to school and pursuing a dual B.S/MS PA program.

I am 27 years old, I went to a four year CUNY college immediately out of High School majoring in Anthropology and World Religions. I was about 60 credits in and 20 years old when I left college to work full time to help my family out (dad left and was the primary financial provider, younger siblings in high school, my older stay at home mommy with no workforce experience court fees and second mortgage).

My older sister was in her senior year and ready to graduate with her Bachelors in Science during this difficult time. It was a year later, after she had done some teaching for a year that she decided to become a P.A and pursued the difficult path. While admiring her dedication to the path and her graduating top of her class (Mercy College), I made my decision to eventually pursue the same path. It was when my older sister graduated and began her PA career (financially helping my mom and younger siblings) that I decided I was going to make the initial steps in the journey.

I decided I was going to take it step by step up the ladder. My decision was to become an LPN first to gain direct health care experience and work while I am gaining my pre-reqs.

I graduated from a 16 month LPN program here in NYC (Mildred Elley) last November. I am currently working as an LPN and want to enroll into Touro's dual BS/MS PA program after completing all required pre-req Science courses. The school in which I attended for my LPN made sure we took the College's courses of Biology, Psychology, A&P 1&2 and Pharmacology as pre-reqs to their LPN program. We also had to receive B's or above to continue as an LPN.

Since I am, and will continue to work as an LPN while finishing my pre-reqs, I will have enough direct patient contact hours. I am able to shadow P.A's since my sister is one, and so are many of her colleagues. 

I am not sure, as of yet, if all or any of my credits will transfer from Mildred Elley to Touro. I hope to be in touch with an adviser this week.

My questions to the good folk on the forum are: What is the process of being admitted to Touro as an Undergrad student? If any of you are current Dual BS/MS PA students at Touro, did you take your pre-reqs at Touro? If so, how was it applying to the Dual PA program?

If for any reason I am rejected from the Dual BS/MS PA program, would I be able to apply again after a year?

If I am rejected, could I just finish my Bachelors in Science at Touro, take the GRE, and just apply to another PA program?

How bad would that look to prospective schools if another school had rejected an application to their PA program ( any personal stories relating to this would be awesome)?

If I am for some reason absolutely rejected from all PA programs nationwide, what are some other options for someone with a Bachelors in Science from Touro (teaching...etc.)?

Thank You

Have you checked out the Touro thread in the PA Schools section? You may find some info there, or re-post your question to that thread to reach those who are currently attending or also interested in the program.

Yes, if rejected you will be able to apply next cycle. I don't believe PA schools can "see" that an applicant has been rejected from another school; plenty of people do not get in the first time. I myself am a reapplicant. If this is your dream, don't give up.

My advice would be to earn your bachelor's and take the GRE as that will allow you to apply more broadly.

As an LPN, have you considered the BSN then NP route?

Archived