Touro Manhattan Application Cycle 2015/2016

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. This was from Jennifer.

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the wait for another school while accepting an offer? I'd slightly prefer Touro of Bayshore's commute than Manhattan (car versus train = $$$), but I haven't received an interview nor will I know for sure if I would even get in to Bayshore.

The deposit is due in 2 weeks. I'm at least fortunate enough to be accepted into the Manhattan program.

From what I understand, putting down the deposit only secures the seat, but there is no commitment. However if you do choose to attend another school you will most likely lose the deposit. However I would definitely inquire with Touro just to make sure.

I have been accepted to a different program already (and paid the deposit) but I have an interview with Touro on 3/14. Can anyone please tell me what sold you on Touro over other schools? Why Touro? Also, I'm a bit concerned because cost of living is a lot more in Manhattan than near the other school I've been accepted too. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm definitely going to the interview but I'm curious what Touro offers that can sway me to choose that school if accepted. Thanks!

What are people's thoughts on the schedule for the program? Looks like night and Sunday classes only. Seems different. Also its a longer program (32 months) than many.

As a current student, who was accepted to multiple programs, I can just say that sometimes I wonder what it would have been like had I chosen another program.  Maybe the grass is just always greener on the other side.  If you think you will learn better in a systems based curriculum then don't sacrifice that need, just to attend Touro Manhattan.  If you're main criteria for choosing a great school is accreditation, then don't forget Touro Manhattan only recently got theirs reinstated.  They were on probation for a reason.  Those reasons while "fixed" reflect upon things that won't change about this program.  If you want to go to a school that has a 100% PANCE pass rate.  Then Touro is a good choice.  But realize that these stats are manipulated, and that the school won't let you register for the PANCE until you pass their months worth of practice tests.  The school may be a nontraditional program, but don't let the schedule fool you.  On average we consistently have two exams per week, sometimes three.  And during finals, 4 exams a week for 2.5 weeks straight.  When you're so focused on passing exams (and passing is a 73%) week to week it's hard to feel like you're learning.  Additionally, this program doesn't offer housing, doesn't have a cadaver lab, has a library that's 20 blocks away, and shares the upstairs classrooms/"computer lab" with the other programs at Touro.  The other healthcare programs at Touro have a different "campus".  So if you're looking for a healthcare environment or a program that at least has a room where you can study, or get tutoring, or look at a plastic anatomy model, or practice suturing... then you won't find it at Touro Manhattan.  There's a reason why your interview day was all on the same place, and why there wasn't a campus tour.  That was is.  That's you're campus.  The school has a few great instructors, and I can call my class my family.  My recommendation, is to interview.  The only person who can make the right choice, is you.

The other schools I got accepted to offered a simulation lab where you run codes, and work through medical decision making.  They offered an emphasis in world health and public health (Touro does offer a special psych track).  They had a library, tutoring, access to a cadaver lab, and there was real policy to help students when their grades are struggling... and I wrongly assumed those things were fairly standard for a program have.  Had I known that those are all luxuries, it would have swayed my pro and con list.  Touro also has misleading information on their website.  The faculty list is not up to date, so if you're choosing the school because you hope to be mentored by one of them...they may or may not still work here.  The student leadership link is also not up to date.  We're not as involved as the website would lead you to believe and that's why we have a poor reputation compared to other NYSSPA schools.

The other programs were out of state and I wanted to stay in New York, where I'd have a better support system.  I chose Touro because I am Jewish and needed a school that observed Jewish holidays.  I thought the non traditional schedule would give me more time to focus on the material. What they don't tell you during the interview or on their website, is that the exam schedule leaves little room for appreciating the material.  It's not uncommon for you to hear your colleagues voice their worries in this program.  That if anything, we're just cramming and regurgitating information one exam to the next (almost every two days).  This program is very strict when it comes to passing and failing, and when you're preoccupied with scoring high you lose sight of the original goal, which is to be a great clinician!! There are some programs that limit their number of exams per week/per month for this reason.  If you score below a 73% you're at risk for being dismissed from the program.  It's a safe guess that everyone on this message board is smart, with amazing GPAs, and that to you... a 73% seems like no problem.  I thought that too...but if every week you have 2-3 exams...then you have 2-3 opportunities per week to fail.

Any program you choose will be hard.  And the harder it is, maybe the more rewarding your white coat will be (Oh, we also don't get a white coat ceremony, or an orientation retreat).  But I wanted to be a PA to help people, and to be confident in my mastery of this material.  NOT to be proud of how I can swiftly skate by, from pumping and dumping.

Positives- classmates are supportive and willing to help each other (will vary depending on the energy of your class)

100% PANCE pass rate.  You'll be prepared to pass. Whether regurgitating your memory of the multiple choice questions they give you makes you a good clinician, or not... I can't say.  But at least you'll pass.

Full time faculty are working PAs.  Predominantly ER PAs, but there are a few other specialties represented.

Adjunct professors are not always my favorite, but some were doctors with exceptional expertise in their specialties.

Clinical rotations in Manhattan, LI, Queens, Bronx (all over) which could be good if you have early rounds, or work late hours.  And the coordinators make sure you get at least one rotation on your wish list.

You'd have to ask someone at Bayshore.  We share a lot of the same adjunct professors but our administration is completely different.  Their campus is older I think, so maybe there are more places to study.  Also, their program is shorter, and their school days are longer.  So that could be a factor depending on what kind of day you want to have.  Possibly they're in school from 9-5.  If the time crunch means they have more frequent exams than us... I'm not quite sure.

You'd have to ask someone at Bayshore. We share a lot of the same adjunct professors but our administration is completely different. Their campus is older I think, so maybe there are more places to study. Also, their program is shorter, and their school days are longer. So that could be a factor depending on what kind of day you want to have. Possibly they're in school from 9-5. If the time crunch means they have more frequent exams than us... I'm not quite sure.

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing. It is helpful to see insight and caring from other students. Good luck to you

Did you interview that day? If so what did you think of it? I was in the 9:30am session.

I asked Katrina before leaving she told me we would hear back in 2-3 weeks. I've also heard that we will hear back no later then April.

yeah i interviewed at 1030. I really enjoyed the format - the staff was really welcoming, I felt like they really wanted to get to know us as individuals. That means we should be hearing back within the next 2 weeks - feels like such a long time!!!

how did you feel it went?

Nice...there were about 10 of us in the group. We had a presentation first. Then we went on to interview in 5 rooms. I personally thought it went well. It seemed like they wanted to get to know you and see what you're about. I do wonder though how many seats are available.

I'm also getting ready for an interview with Bayshore next week. Hopefully I get in somewhere ! Good luck to you also.

Archived