Do you REALLY want to be a PA?

• Administrator
I agree experience is important but I don't think it necessarily needs to be HCE to be a good PA.

I have extensive non-HCE experience myself, so I entirely agree with the value of other non-HCE adult life experiences like, oh, being a manager in a Fortune 100 company for a few years. That wasn't the point of the original post, though, which is why I didn't include it. I would go so far as to say that as an adult learner becoming an EMT, I made the most of my 2,000 hours pre-PA school, just like I cranked out a 3.95 GPA in my leveling prerequisites and did much better than the paltry 3.2 I got when I was a "traditional age" college student.... But I wouldn't say that a career of great but entirely non-HCE experience would ever prepare someone for PA school.

agree with rev above- life experience is great in "dealing with people" but it teaches you nothing about sick vs not sick from the doorway like a few yrs as a medic/rn/rt will. I'm still surprised by some of the huge workups some of my less experienced colleagues do on pts who are obviously not that sick. one of my partners orders more mri's in a week than I do in a yr for example.

You are so on the money! I am an "older" applicant, who also happened to be an elementary school teacher earlier on. Ha! So I had to laugh at the fact that I must be missing "intellectual curiosity". I think we need to be building each other up, here on the forums especially, rather than wasting our time tearing one another down for not following the same route as we followed ourselves. There is no one right path to becoming a PA. That's part of what makes it such an amazing profession. Good luck to each of you! Let's be resources to one another.....I appreciate what each of you brings to the future of the profession. Thanks!!

it's not "youth" that is the problem but inexperience.

23 yrs old with 5 yrs hce , a bs, community service, good gpa/gre. no problem.

23 yr old 4.0 gpa, perfect gre, no hce or relevant experience outside of school. don't pass go. don't collect 200 dollars.

Now of everything I have read so far supporting this viewpoint, this is something I can agree with. And I don't see anything wrong with starting those 5 years HCE with the intention of doing it to get into PA school.

something else to confuse the issue even more....many of the "old timers" here(myself, davis, contrarian, marilyn, etc) took pance prior to 1997.

the old version of the test was MUCH harder than what folks do today. it was a week long with 3 written components and 3 practicals vs today's 3 hrs on a computer and done.

my hypothesis(which I can't prove) is that many folks who pass today's pance would fail the old version.

basically they had to dumb down the test so folks without prior hce could pass it(flame suit on).

I am young and would still be more than willing to take this exam. In my opinion, it is absolutely ridiculous that some board thinks that a multiple choice exam, no matter how long it is, shows that someone is prepared to practice medicine. Still, with my experience working with residents, in training and work as a CNA, shadowing, and in my own visits to health care providers, in addition to PA school, I feel I will be just as prepared to sit the pre-1997 exam as all the old-timers. Feel free to disagree.

if you go md/do and do FP there is a lot of flexibility there as well as an easier than typical residency(only internship is tough, after that 50 hrs/week).

Problem here is, as a few others have already stated, many women would prefer not to have children during a residency where they are working up to 80 hours a week. Yet they would prefer to have children in their mid-to-late 20s rather than early to mid-30s. This is their call, not up to anyone to say whether it is right or wrong. From personal experience, EVERY female resident that I have spoken to has recommended PA school to me because they chose to have kids in their late 20s (before or during residency) and now have no time to see their children. I cannot say that applies to every female resident, but it has been my experience, and has influenced somewhat my decision toward becoming a PA.

• 4 weeks later...
Nor do I view it as second best, although your point is somewhat undermined by the fact that most schoolteachers don't have the intellectual curiosity needed to succeed as professors, while I don't see any real difference in intellect between the docs and PAs I've known.

Are you even capable of posting something without being incredibly offensive to someone?

You are so on the money! I am an "older" applicant, who also happened to be an elementary school teacher earlier on. Ha! So I had to laugh at the fact that I must be missing "intellectual curiosity". I think we need to be building each other up, here on the forums especially, rather than wasting our time tearing one another down for not following the same route as we followed ourselves. There is no one right path to becoming a PA. That's part of what makes it such an amazing profession. Good luck to each of you! Let's be resources to one another.....I appreciate what each of you brings to the future of the profession. Thanks!!

Excellent. Excellent, excellent, excellent.

I think one of the problems with this post is the assumption that because older people have more life experience than younger people, they could handle situations better, know what they really want, are mature, etc. I'm 24 years old. Most people my age have their heads up their a$$ (I'm sure I do too to some degree), but I've met some older people that are WAY worse. Some of the most immature people I've ever met in my life were 40+. It's definitely more of an individual thing.

Although, I do agree that it's annoying when someone posts things like about getting HCE hours. That just means they're too lazy to even search the forum for the answer (I'm sure there's TONS of posts that address that very subject).

Ultimately, though, I think many of the people that post things about grades and GREs are already set on going to PA school. They just want some reassurance that they could make it. Understandable.

Mav

The brilliant thing about the growing medical field is that you can continue your education. I join the group of PA's that will be under 25 when I graduate. But if I do decide later down the road that I was a "young'un" and medical school is a better choice I can attend the bridge program from PA to MD.

And many of those that agreed with it are huge contributors that I have learned a lot from. So I am saddened that this standoffish attitude is so widely celebrated as a "yeah stick it to 'em Rev, show those young punks a thing or two about what REAL PA's look like" victory. /QUOTE]

I too, came across this forum this as a great way to learn about the profession. I am not a PA student, just looking into POSSIBLY going that direction with my education. I saw that many of the contributors to this forum are long time PA's, people that i would look to for seeking advice. People whom i respected for their wisdom in providing me the answers that i needed in order to learn more about PA.

Now i see that to them, the questions i asked were just plain 'stupid' and a waste of their time. Well, that is what i am taking away from this thread and rev, who started it. Thinking this was a place filled with friendly people who wanted to spread their knowledge was wrong. I now see that this is not the place i perceived it to be at first. Curious 'newbies' like me are a nuisance to the 'old timers' and moderators on this website...

If that's what you take away from this, then you aren't cut out for a career in medicine

HCE isn't a check box, imagine being your patient as an EMT and you are just out to click a box. What sort of care do you really think you are going to give if you are clock watching?

That's the point many on here simply cannot, or will not, grasp.

The brilliant thing about the growing medical field is that you can continue your education. I join the group of PA's that will be under 25 when I graduate. But if I do decide later down the road that I was a "young'un" and medical school is a better choice I can attend the bridge program from PA to MD.

There is only a PA to DO bridge program. Keep in mind that it still requires a very significant time and financial commitment and I'm sure that admissions will be very competitive.

As a pre-PA I agree that the HCE hours are SO important, in fact, that even the minimum "requirement" for some universities isn't enough. My undergrad biology internship alone met the minimum requirements for HCE at a few universities and I know that I personally would not be prepared to develop as a PA student on simply the minimum. I learn new things in my field every day, life long learning is the most satisfying part of the job! I don't think that there will ever be a specific moment in time where I am able to say "Okay, I've learned all I can learn as a pre-PA" just as a PA will never realistically say "Okay, I've learned all there is to learn and I have seen all there is to see, I am the ultimate PA". Any pre-PA who wants to succeed as a professional and make a difference in the lives/health of their respected communities should gain the most experience they can before school if they are serious. "Minimum" is minimum for a very good reason.

Hmm..this thread really does make me wonder. I know I want to be a respected professional in the medical field, but I just don't know if I can take all of those years to get through med school. I already have a sufficient amount of student loan debt and I turn 21 next month. Being a PA seems like something I'd be happy with, but now I'm wondering if I should just go to med school.

Hmm..this thread really does make me wonder. I know I want to be a respected professional in the medical field, but I just don't know if I can take all of those years to get through med school. I know many people who have graduated med school that I do not "respect." Respect comes from who you are not what your job is. An A-hole is an A-hole regardless of degree earned. I already have a sufficient amount of student loan debt and I turn 21 next month. You can always defer your student loans until you finish, yah you would owe a boat-load but at least you would be an MD/DO and after residency be the ripe old age of 28 and start earning 6 figures to pay those bad boys off. Also you can get loan repayment options.Never klet cost get in the way of your dream... Being a PA seems like something I'd be happy with, but now I'm wondering if I should just go to med school. I think you should go to med school unless being a PA is what you REALLY want to be.

Responses in RED.....best wishes in your endeavors.

Hmm..this thread really does make me wonder. I know I want to be a respected professional in the medical field, but I just don't know if I can take all of those years to get through med school. I know many people who have graduated med school that I do not "respect." Respect comes from who you are not what your job is. An A-hole is an A-hole regardless of degree earned. I already have a sufficient amount of student loan debt and I turn 21 next month. You can always defer your student loans until you finish, yah you would owe a boat-load but at least you would be an MD/DO and after residency be the ripe old age of 28 and start earning 6 figures to pay those bad boys off. Also you can get loan repayment options.Never klet cost get in the way of your dream... Being a PA seems like something I'd be happy with, but now I'm wondering if I should just go to med school. I think you should go to med school unless being a PA is what you REALLY want to be.

Responses in RED.....best wishes in your endeavors.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It helped me in my decision in realizing that I do not actually want to be a PA. I was that person that just wanted to get the HCE and grades to meet the minimum requirements and deadlines. I began realizing through my hospital volunteering that I did not have the desire and determination to be a PA and put my all in preparing to apply. I was the one that wanted to do just the minimum. In shadowing PA's I really enjoyed watching, but never wanted to actually participate. If I truly wanted to be a PA then I feel as though I should have jumped at the chance to participate, but I never wanted. I realized I would rather go into the business/administration aspect of healthcare instead. So thank you for this thread. That first post puts the truth right out there. I 100% agree with it and wish everyone that has that desire and determination to be a PA good luck!

I can certainly see your points Rev. Ronin. I do feel that as students who are fresh out of college are feeling more pressured to pursue a career, they may at times forget the real reason for wanting to do something. Consequently, the passion for that career gets buried under all the stress of meeting the requirements. I am one of those "young ones" who are trying to pursue this profession. While I get your points, I hope you can also be sympathetic and put yourself in our shoes. You were once this age, and this goes out to all PA's. Surely you were concerned about whether you were meeting the requirements when you applied for the program. Yes, I also frown upon those who like to take the easy way out and forget what being a PA is all about. This doesn't justify a clique of experienced PA's coming together to show indifference those who appreciate what you do and are just trying to be like you. I'm sure you agree that there are highly competent young students who can handle the rigorous PA program, and even they may be concerned of meeting the requirements. Perhaps you meant well with your entry, but as a Pre-PA, I find this entry very discouraging, and it's almost sad to think that this is the potential environment I may deal with- experienced PA's not acknowledging the younger generation just because some of us were not paramedics, nurses, or MA's.

To address your #3: I disagree with this comment. PA shouldn't be discriminating. As PA's, I think you should encourage others to see how wonderful and open-minded your profession is, not shun away those who are truly interested. That's comparable to claiming that all older people don't belong in an undergrad institution. Marilynpac says that the older students had to always help the younger ones. Well, in my undergrad experience, I had to help the older students because they were having a tough time catching on; however, by no means do I discourage older people going back to school. Instead of holding their age against them, I think about their situations and why they are back in school, and that's to obtain the same education that I was getting so they could achieve what they want to achieve. My point is, after reading these posts, I felt ostracized by an experienced group of PA's, and maybe that wasn't your intention. But we should all try to help each other out. Honestly, I would've loved to seek your advices, but I don't get the sense that you want to help someone like me, who's just trying to learn more, whether stressing about about my grades or my applications.

I apologize if I sounded too defensive and I respect all your views. I agree with a lot of your points Rev.

In my experience shadowing, volunteering, working and as a patient, there are plenty of crappy PAs who had a great amount of years and HCE on their side and there are plenty of great PAs who had little HCE and are young. There isn't a cut prototype of a "good practitioner" which is why PA schools have such a wild range of requirements and preferences. Just because you have worked 20 years as an EMT doesn't mean you'll definitely be a fantastic PA. On the flip side, all the A's in the world won't guarantee that you will be a good practitioner either. Even a solid combination of the two can result in poorly practiced medicine. To assume that there is one quality (or even a few) that automatically disqualifies you from being a PA (be it age or experience or GPA) is kind of foolish.