at first job... and already wanting a change

On 9/30/2015 at 4:28 PM, Planteater said:

I left my first job after 3.5 months (gave them 1 month notice 2.5 months in). I had another offer before giving notice. I talked to several people (PAs and MDs) I respect and they all agreed that if I knew I was not going to stay long-term then it was actually better to leave sooner rather than later. Technically my first 90 days were a "trial period" since my retirement benefits did not star until after then. The practice paid my DEA, AAPA, and credentialing fees at the hospital they admitted to. I was completely stressed about how it would look, if they would be mad, etc. I'm not posting all my real reasons for leaving publicly (they were legit and it is doubtful anyone here would criticize my choice if they knew all the issues). However, I gave the office a reason for leaving that allowed me to keep a good relationship and all bridges intact. They even bought a cake and signed a card wishing me the best at my new job. My former SP and I have stayed in contact. I am now employed in my dream position. Sometimes life has some funny twists and turns and if you stay humble, work hard, have a good attitude, and remain professional: I do believe you can ignore the "make sure you stay one year" advice. I'm sure glad I did.

I am at my first job out of school and unfortunately dealing with some personal problems at the same time. The job is not at all what I signed on for, despite my asking a lot of questions during my interview. I feel like me going in everyday and hating it doesn't do the patients any good. Can I leave respectfully without tarnishing my professional reputation? 

On 9/30/2015 at 11:15 PM, david89 said:

hi

im a new grad as well. may i ask what are some examples that a practice is practicing illegally? thank you

Welllllllll...one that jumps to mind is ,among other things, being told informally we all had a goal of 75% level 4 visits and this target would effect our evaluations and raises. I asked them to write that down and sign it since it sort of sounded like conspiracy to upcode. I was, of course, told no....nobody was going to sign their name to it. 

I worked in a privately owned urgent care whose doc/owner encouraged the ordering of unnecessary tests and often said "you're costing me money."

There are a million of them...

38 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Welllllllll...one that jumps to mind is ,among other things, being told informally we all had a goal of 75% level 4 visits and this target would effect our evaluations and raises. I asked them to write that down and sign it since it sort of sounded like conspiracy to upcode. I was, of course, told no....nobody was going to sign their name to it. 

I worked in a privately owned urgent care whose doc/owner encouraged the ordering of unnecessary tests and often said "you're costing me money."

There are a million of them...

Holy crap! What did you do in those situations? (Pulls out popcorn)

In the first one I just kept coding appropriately and told them when someone in charge wrote it down and signed it I'd talk about it. They can't push it too hard because they know they are wrong and the potential consequences.

In the second case I found another job. The doc was literally nuts. Twice in 3 months he had a psychotic break and had to be admitted to the hospital by a judge's order. Yet he still has an unrestricted license and still supervises PAs....oh and still owns and runs the same urgent care.

Ventana is 100% correct and here is why:

If you quit, you may find a great job with better quality of life that better meets your expectations.  Rare, but great.  The chance of you then staying at that new and improved job for the rest of your career are NILL.  So after 5 years or so the great new job company is bought out or merges into the group from hell and you say, "I'm outta here!".  You start applying for a new job, and guess what the first thing they see is......

The point is, unless you are in an unsafe or blatantly unethical situation, suck it up for 1 year.  After that, knock yourself out.  Most hiring admins won't bat an eye.  You need to understand that most hiring admins are not clinical and they base everything they do upon "metrics". Less then a year at a job will instantly be flagged in their hiring metrics.

I actually just went through this with a job I took.  They were asking me questions about a job I had 23 years ago because there was a few months gap between one job and another.  23 years ago!!!!   Don't think for one second it won't follow you, it will. 

Archived