Here's my hail mary, folks.

Hey, guys, I'm Lauren. I'm 26, hailing from Rhode Island. I went to the University of RI for undergrad, BS in Kinesiology, Exercise science and through a series of unfortunate events including a few family deaths, a sexual assault, and the uncontrolled depression that went along with it, I did not do that great undergrad. Cum overall was 2.8/2.9. Being fair, I didn't know I want to try for PA school until senior year essentially and by then my life had exploded.

So I took some time off. I went to India for a month, shadowing doctors and being in hospitals there and loved it. Previously I was an EMT Basic on my school's rescue with about 2600 hours. 

Because I had the degree in Kin, I got a job for a year as a Physical therapy aide, all hands on time.

During that time, I enrolled in paramedic school and got my license. Because I tend to stay busy, I then took a job as an ED scribe which is what I have been doing for the last two years, full time scribe, per diem paramedic.

I finally got the courage up to go back to school last summer and since then have been going through pre reqs, taking a few of them again.

Bio 101- Not retaking C+

Bio 102- B

Chem 1- D then B (retook recently)

Chem 2- in process

Anatomy, D then B (not so recently)

Micro- B

Exercise Phys (not a prereq)- B

Statistics- A-

Medical Terminology-A

Biochem- need to take

Organic- C+, so close to a B-, will retake

I've had 400 hours of time shadowing PA's in various departments in a local hospital. i have a lot of PA contacts through my hospitals and am starting to accumulate letters from PA's and docs

I'm going to go through and beast through my prereqs but I need advice. i'm trying to raise my GPA but I don't think the CASPA will be as forgiving.

I've had a 3.7 since I've gotten out of college. If you took out the grades I have a few thousand hours of HCE from various sources, a lot of shadowing, good background with EMS and advanced licensure. 

Advice?

Thanks,

Lauren

You've got the HCE, GPA will be the issue.  For a lot of places, you will need to raise cGPA to 3.0 to even be considered, and while raising cGPA after finishing a bachelor's degree is painful, it's both possible and occasionally necessary.

Specifically, your core prerequisite sGPA seems to be on the low side.  You don't have a single A in what I would term a core science prerequisite--medical terminology and stats don't count.  I'd look for opportunities, retakes as necessary, to get those prerequisites or relevant upper division science courses showing A's.  Right now, even if you got your cGPA high enough, a lot of B's, C's, and D's in undergrad sciences don't send a clear signal to an Adcom that you can do the work.

Since HCE accumulates but GPA averages, would it be reasonable for you to cut back on your hours to concentrate on GPA?

What is your CASPA c/sGPA?

Rev may or may not be onto something with the grades, but I've interviewed at a couple of very selective schools so far where average GPAs are around 3.4-3.5.  So, you may be within a reasonable range of that but you need to know your CASPA scores in order to determine that.  HCE looks great.  Have you started working on your PS yet?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jones4466
      I have recently graduated from college with my bachelors. I am not worried about my grades or GPA when applying to PA school however, I am worried about if I am doing the right Patient Care Experience or Health Care Experience. I am currently working 40 hours a week as a Physical Therapy Technician and that counts as PCE at most PA schools however, I am not interacting with the patients and learning as much. I mostly do laundry, clean up tables, and sometimes show patients exercises. I am thinking of becoming a medical scribe with Proscibe but, only working 24 to 30 hours a week. I am going to become a CNA during the fall and work part time with one job and a CNA job however, I am not sure I sure stay as a Physical Therapy Tech or become a Medical Scribe. I plan to apply to a PA program in April of 2020. 
    • By Bananataters
      Hey Everyone,
      I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm looking for some advice.  My current stats are:
      cGPA - 2.96
      sGPA - 3.16 
      Last 50 Credits - 3.84 
      PCE - 4000+ Hrs 
      My AnP 1 and 2 grades are both B- from undergrad, when I didn't know what I was doing with my life. I'm wondering if I should point my energy towards retaking these two courses for A's or should I pursue a Master's program? 

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it. 
    • By Naisphan
      Hey! If anyone has any questions regarding PA school or their application please don't hesitate to let me know!
      I applied to 9 schools, got accepted to 1, waitlisted at 4 schools and denied to 4 schools.
      When I was applying there were not many resources to find other students who were accepted with low GPAs to see what they have done, so I just want to help out as much as possible. This is a very stressful part of an individual's life and having someone to relate to can definitely help out.
      If anyone feels uncomfortable commenting their questions on here or need a super fast response, feel free to message me on my instagram as well: Naisphan
      Right now, I'm a volunteer pre-pa mentor for two community colleges in my neighborhood.

I don't want to make this a super long post but a quick overview of my statistics:
      cGPA: 3.1
      sGPA: 3.01
      Last 60 credit hours: 3.8
      PCE: 2600
      HCE: 1500
      Shadowing Hours: 144
      GRE: Did not take

There is so so so much more than just the numbers. I really mean that. I have spoken with a whole bunch of PA admissions committee members directly at multiple schools about my application and also what they're looking for in potential applicants. I've also spoken to many students and pre-pa mentors as well to help me throughout the process.
      With my low GPA, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make it into school but with the help of my mentors I was able to craft a great application.
      Don't be discouraged at all, there are so many things to do to make your application much better!!! It really is a holistic application and as long as you reach the minimums, anything is possible from there. Again, AMA either here or on my instagram page!!!
    • By PerspiringPA
      Hello all,
      I'm brand new to this forum. I graduated with a degree in biology and a gpa of 3.52, and was planning to go to medical school the whole way through, while also thinking a lot about PA school. I was ready to apply to med school while I was finishing college, but decided to take some time away from the academic environment to make sure I really wanted to do med school. After almost a year of soul-searching, researching and deliberation (in addition to the last 4 years), I have finally decided that PA is a more appropriate career path for me. I had a great mcat score (93%) and I had all of the volunteer and leadership experience to make me a competitive applicant for med school. Now that I'm looking at PA schools, I need to get my direct patient care hours, take anatomy and physiology (I didn't do the whole series since medical schools don't require it), possibly take statistics, and possibly take the GRE.
      I have 400 hours of MA experience (not certified). I know the doctor personally and worked there for 4 months, I learned a lot but it was a very disorganized clinic. I have about 200 hours working as an EMT-B. I'm wondering if I should keep working as an EMT for a year and apply for the 2021 cycle once I take anatomy and physiology at my community college. I've looked at a lot of threads on the internet and from what I've found, paramedic is the best prep for being a PA; things like, "they were a head and shoulders above the rest of their class," and "they were very  experienced with patient assessments and had great clinical presence." I've also heard that it's unnecessary and a distraction if your end goal is PA. I want to be a paramedic and get real experience doing more advanced patient assessments, but it would push PA school at least 2 years back since I'd want to work for at least a year to make it worth it. Being an EMT entails a lot of driving and sitting around the station, and when I do get patient contacts, I'm not in charge unless it's a stable (BLS) patient.
      Should I take the time to become a paramedic and get really good experience or should I get as many EMT hours as possible in a year and then apply?
      Also, do schools look at how many hours I've worked or do they need to know how much time I spent doing patient care, versus driving and sitting around the station, and how do I record that?

My other main question is whether I should take the GRE or just rely on my MCAT score and not apply to "GRE required" schools. I live in CA and would like to stay in California, or at least in the west (CA, OR, WA, CO, AZ, NV, NM). This might be a question for a separate thread. 
      I know this is a lot, but it's pretty much everything on my mind right now, please feel free to only answer a portion of it if you want. 
      Thanks so much for the help!
    • By seominky
      Hello! 
      I graduated from MSU with a Human Biology Major in Winter 2015.
      It has been about 3 years since i have graduated. I studied the MCAT and took the test once and did not apply to any med school because of my MCAT score and GPA.
      i have a GPA 3.0 and not sure about my science gpa about 2.7-2.9 
      I just got married this summer and have been rethinking about med school and wanted to go to PA school instead 
      It seems as competitive as med school but it is only 2 years of school. 
      I don't have ANY direct paid health care experience only volunteering and haven't taken the GRE yet 
      I am 25 years old and just need some help/guidance on the path. 
      so my questions are:
      1.) Should i go to graduate school for 2 years and get good grades to make up for my low GPA
      2.) Should i just get as much PCE as i can? and then apply ? 
      if so, which is better? CNA, MA, paramedic, EMT ? 
      3.) Lastly, should get certified to work as a CNA, MA, paramedic or EMT first, and then work while i go to grad school so i can get PCE and boost my GPA? 

i don't know where to start because I'm trying to find the most affordable and less time consuming way to be competitive to get into PA school 😞 

Thank you

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More