Hey @akaur08. I submitted my application late September and I got this email from them on Sept. 29:

Thank you for applying to The City College of New York/The Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education Physician Assistant Program at Harlem Hospital Center. This letter acknowledges the receipt of your application through The Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). The Admissions Committee will review applications through the Fall semester and will begin to call qualified applicants for interviews beginning January 2016.

Sincerely,

PA Program Admissions Committee

Best of luck to both of us!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone, I'm a current SD PA student. I'm sure from the forum most of you already know our PA program holds club hours every Thursday from 12:30pm-1:30pm. We encourage prospective students to stop in and meet with some of us, it's a great opportunity to find out more about the program as well as life as a SDSBE PA student.

Hey everyone, I'm a current SD PA student. I'm sure from the forum most of you already know our PA program holds club hours every Thursday from 12:30pm-1:30pm. We encourage prospective students to stop in and meet with some of us, it's a great opportunity to find out more about the program as well as life as a SDSBE PA student.

Hey thanks again for letting us know about this club.  I really would love to come but I have work then.  Does the club ever meet after 5pm during the week? 

Hey thanks again for letting us know about this club. I really would love to come but I have work then. Does the club ever meet after 5pm during the week?

unfortunately no, if we are not in class at 5, usually we are off studying. We only have one designated hour. If there are any additional times that come up I will definitely post. ????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Happy holidays.

I'm a student at the Harlem program (as it's generally called here, not so much SD). I used to follow this forum a lot as an applicant so I'm trying to repay.

Hit me up if you have questions. Feel free to PM me. There's lots of changes taking place but an insider's view is always a good thing.

Good luck to all of you. Hope you have already submitted your applications.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Hi, I hope you all enjoyed the holidays!! I know that this is the PA Forum, but I couldn't find a website forum regarding the Sophie Davis MD Program.. I'm applying soon, but does anyone know more information about this MD program? Also if I am applying to the MD program, can I still come to the club to get information on that, or is it strictly to PA Applicants? Thank you!!

Happy holidays everyone. Hope you're all taking a well-deserved break. 

For those who were completing a prerequisite course this past Fall semester, how are you informing the program of your completion? I sent an email to them last week but I haven't gotten a reply and I called them today but they didn't pick up.

Hi, I hope you all enjoyed the holidays!! I know that this is the PA Forum, but I couldn't find a website forum regarding the Sophie Davis MD Program.. I'm applying soon, but does anyone know more information about this MD program? Also if I am applying to the MD program, can I still come to the club to get information on that, or is it strictly to PA Applicants? Thank you!!

Happy New Year.

The PA program and MD program are housed in the same building and share much of the facilities and staff, but of course are quite different. I am not sure if they have a forum, but I think this site is PA focused. The PA club is also PA focused and I have never met a BS/MD student at the club. You are welcome at the club of course but we don't have much info on that program, but since we are all in the same building, it is possible to meet a BS/MD student who can give you useful info (they are pretty cool).

You should also peruse the college's website for more info on the program. CUNY now has a medical school so there are probably a few changes taking place to their program but I am not knowledgeable of them. 

All the best. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Happy Application Deadline day. The anxiety level probably just went up a notch lol. This will be the longest weekend ever, especially with the holiday on Monday. From Tuesday you will always have your phones nearby. Your phones will always be charged. You will check to see if you have service, etc etc lol. I remember the routine very well- have fun.

Anyways, you probably will not hear anything until March or so, although anything is possible. In the mean time, PREPARE. If you are waiting for an invite to start preparing for the interview- big mistake. If you think you can wake up on the morning of the interview and come to Harlem and Ace it - big mistake. I'm warning you, be prepared. Matter of fact, you should have already started preparing.

Call up your PA friends, mentors etc and get mock interviews. Read up, study up. Do whatever it takes to avoid having to repeat this next year. Of course, everyone can't get in this year- just be the one to get in.

Post any question you have or PM me. I will try to respond asap. Sorry for the late responses to some of you, I'm trying my best.

All the best to you all, and remember this: the only person that will never get into PA school is the one who gives up. 

Best,

HarlemPA

Everyone that has applied, if possible try and make club hours if you haven't already. They can be extremely helpful in terms of preparing for your interview.

Club hours are held on Thursdays from 12:30-1:30pm in Harris Hall room 209. The first club meeting of 2016 will be in the first or second week of February. I will post when I know the date for sure.

As HarlemPA mentioned, prepare! Mock your interview out loud by yourself, with PAs you know, with family. You don't want to hear yourself say "your answers" out loud for the first time during the actual interview. Don't wait for the phone call to start preparing. Remember....preparation is the most effective way to reduce stress and anxiety!

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Morning, Harlem PA Program!

I was wondering if you strongly take into consideration the applicant's most recent college GPA, accomplishments, etc. during candidate review. To give a brief history, I am a 34 year old mother of two with over 17 years experience as a patient care provider. As a former FDNY Paramedic , I chose to pursue a B.S. in Biology in 2012 and will graduate this May with an overall/science GPA of 3.50.  However, poor grades that I received nearly *17* years ago have drastically reduced my CASPA GPA calculations and I feel as though it is not an accurate representation of the student I am today.  

I am experienced, motivated and extremely goal-oriented, traits in which are only exceeded by my love for patient care.  The recent academic success that I have attained has been carefully executed while working, interning and of course, fulfilling my many responsibilities as both a wife and mother.  

As a second time applicant to the Harlem PA program, is there any advice you can offer students such as myself to increase their chances of becoming a viable program candidate?

Thank you for your time and good luck to everyone that has applied! 

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone know if this school accepts online classes?  I just spoke with a woman on the phone who said she didn't think so, but she didn't sound positive.  I haven't seen anything online that says it one way or the other, so I figured that it was okay, but now I am in a bind for prereqs if they truly don't accept online classes.

Good Morning, Harlem PA Program!

I was wondering if you strongly take into consideration the applicant's most recent college GPA, accomplishments, etc. during candidate review. To give a brief history, I am a 34 year old mother of two with over 17 years experience as a patient care provider. As a former FDNY Paramedic , I chose to pursue a B.S. in Biology in 2012 and will graduate this May with an overall/science GPA of 3.50.  However, poor grades that I received nearly *17* years ago have drastically reduced my CASPA GPA calculations and I feel as though it is not an accurate representation of the student I am today.  

I am experienced, motivated and extremely goal-oriented, traits in which are only exceeded by my love for patient care.  The recent academic success that I have attained has been carefully executed while working, interning and of course, fulfilling my many responsibilities as both a wife and mother.  

As a second time applicant to the Harlem PA program, is there any advice you can offer students such as myself to increase their chances of becoming a viable program candidate?

Thank you for your time and good luck to everyone that has applied! 

Hello KSmith12,

Thank you for your post. It was very well written. Just to clarify, since your post was addressed to the program, I am a student at the Harlem program, same as SamalamXO. The program faculty/staff are not on the forum and therefore do not see your posts/questions.

Only the Adm committee can say exactly what they are looking for each cycle, but I think it is safe to say that grades from 17 years ago will have almost no bearing on your application. Of course, if those grades cause your gpa to fall below 3.0 that would be an issue. Although you did not say what the courses were I assume they were not prereqs and they would be too "old" to be considered anyway. Therefore I would not worry too much about it.

As an adult student with a job and family, it takes a lot of commitment to succeed, and the committee knows that. They want to know that you can endure the hardship and a 4.0 gpa, while very good, is not always the best indication of a student's staying power in the program. That being said, keep your grades up. It's important to show you are good at science- you will have to do tons of it.

Did you get an interview last year? Wait listed? I asked because there are a few things you should do if you get an interview invite.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

HarlemPA

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone know if this school accepts online classes?  I just spoke with a woman on the phone who said she didn't think so, but she didn't sound positive.  I haven't seen anything online that says it one way or the other, so I figured that it was okay, but now I am in a bind for prereqs if they truly don't accept online classes.

Hi,

The program does not accept science classes done online i.e prereqs. Other classes done online are fine though. I think the main issue is the lab. They need "wet" lab.

You can verify this info on the program website though cause things change all the time, but last I checked they didn't.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they started sending out interview invites yet?

Hey, I have not heard anything since receiving my confirmation in November. I was going through last years forum and it seems like they start sending out interviews in march that begin the first week of April. Kind of late.

Has anyone else heard anything?

Archived