Should I keep adding schools?

Hi All,

I have applied to 12 schools this cycle so far. I have received 2 rejections due to my fault of not accurately checking pre-reqs time expiration, 1 more flat out rejection and 2 interview invites. I am still considering adding additional schools. 

At this point in the cycles, and since I am hearing some feedback already (with 7 other schools to hear back from as well), would you continue to apply elsewhere? I am aware that it is quite late in the cycle at this point, I guess I have had a hard time picking schools out of state and have already applied to all in my area, or other areas my fiance and I were interested in.

Would love some ideas! Thanks!

PAEA put out some stats a year or two ago (no citation right now, sorry), that applicant odds top out at 49% of applicants who applied to 12 programs being accepted to at least one, and no statistical advantage coming from applying to more than 12 programs. So, with that being said, it's more up to you an your wallet than anything else.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I do feel really lucky to have already received 2 interview invites. I am just a major worrier and want to have the best shot towards getting in this year! Money isn't quite an issue, more so I guess I am finding it difficult to find schools that I meet every requirement and would like to apply to, potentially move to. Therefore trying to feel comfortable with my options!

I appreciate the advice.

I will tell you from personal experience....don't add more.  I was basically in your boat and I panicked in November and added a few programs that had January deadlines.  It ended up basically being donations to their program.  I believe the school can see when you are CASPA verified and in my opinion these schools saw I was done applying in June and knew I submitted panic applications in Nov.  

Wasn't worth it.  You've already got 2(!) interviews with 7 more schools to hear from and it's only September.  I was offered interview invites as late as November last year so you definitely have time and hope.

The average amount of PA programs applicants apply to is 7, up from 6 for the past two application cycles. You are above average, which is not a problem, but only you can decide if this is the right decision for you. Some things to help you with that decision - if they have a deadline that has not yet passed, do they have rolling admissions? If the answer is yes (look at their website or contact them) then it may be too late in the cycle to apply, especially if their deadline is in the next couple of months. If they accept apps until early 2016 then you may want to consider submitting an app to them for consideration. 

Archived