Posting for a member

For the sake of privacy a member asked me to post this so it would not be linked back to them...

thoughts?  Can anyone offer some advice?

Long story short, I just found out I am in a pile of deep doo doo - my license is in jeopardy.  I basically found out that 2 of the docs I worked briefly for (they were in the same office and were business partners) did not submit a delegation agreement to the State Medical board.  I then was told by the board that it's everyone's responsibility (mine included) to have had that done.  I want to claim ignorance but am ashamed that I didn't read the PA rules and regulations of my state.  I anonymously called the State back and they informed that everyone would get in trouble but more so me because I should have known better.  They informed that I would lose my license if anyone finds out.  What to do??????

So the state board knows the situation, but if anyone finds out the PA will lose their license?  This does not make sense.  Who will make that determination?If the board already knows, why has the PA not already lost his/her license? Is the State Medical Board covering the petuties of the two physicians?  Something does not smell right here.

If in doubt, call your state PA association and ask them what to do.  Did the PA check the state regulations for him/herself?  I would think that there would be a clause that says something like "failure to submit the delegation agreement to the state medical board will result in a (warning, suspension of license until the plan is in place, a penalty or fine, etc).   

We need more facts.  How long was the PA in the position?  Was there any fraud  going on at the practice by any chance?  My suspicious nature is kicking in here!  

If needed you may have to retain a lawyer if this gets icky. 

My understanding of the situation was that the PA was inadvertently told about the lack of delegation agreement when he called the medical board to check on something else.  He then read up on the PA rules/regs and called back to the medical board anonymously after what he read and was told by someone else that the PA would be investigated along with the docs and that the PA would lose his license - due to not having the agreement in place.  But that's a good point, Paula - if the first State person knew, why didn't he do something about it?   

That sounds scary and really unfortunate. :-( I am a new grad and wouldn't even think about making sure a delegation agreement was submitted. There is so much other stuff to worry about. I feel like a lot of PAs I know just assume that this is taken care of when accepting a job. Clearly this person didn't have intent to deceive...but maybe the doctors did?

It's hard to understand exactly what is going on here (we need more details) but it sounds like the board DOESN'T know and this particularly PA is wondering what to do now that he has gone so long without a delegation agreement?

If it's like my state board I don't even trust THEM to give me correct information. Since the state in question is unknown, and I have enough of a challenge knowing my own, are they absolutely certain that it has to be physically filed with the board (seems like a heck of a project to have to record/file all that, especially with the way PA's change jobs)? In my state it only has to be made available upon request within a set time window which I don't even now recall (makes more sense). This is a good example for everyone, YOU are the one responsible for dotting of i's and crossing of t's. I bet there are SO many more examples of cases like these that folks don't even know of. My co-worker didn't even realize that they weren't approved to work with a particular SP until they couldn't renew their DPS controlled substance authorization and DPS made them aware! They had submitted all the paperwork and never followed up by checking the websites.

YIKES!

Don't know what state this is in but it's a rather big deal not to have all the documents in order per the rules and regs of Medical Boards. That said..a state Medical Board that approves a PA license before all required documentation is in order obviously isn't doing a thorough job of approving a license.
Sorry to hear about this sort of incident especially when it sounds as if this was just an oversight and without intentional omission.

Wondering why this is an issue if the PA is no longer associated with these MDs ... what prompted this sudden interest in a past working relationship if the PA is abiding by the rules in their current situation.? How in the world did it ever become discovered?

• 3 weeks later...

A while back I had taken a per-diem ortho job and forgot to file the delgation form for a few months.  When I remembered I quickly sent it in and had no problems.  Sometimes life happens, If the person hasn't had anything happen to them yet, and the state board doesn't "know" or even if they do, they should obviously send the form in ASAP....

Archived