Shadowing in the Bay Area?

I moved up here about a year ago and don't know many people in the area, especially in the healthcare field.  I tried contacting my primary care physician up here, spoke with friends, went on various websites and have e-mailed different PAs I have found online but no one has responded so far.  Anyone out there know of any PAs in the Bay Area I could shadow?

Thank you so much!

I work in the North Bay but our place is very strict about shadowing. I recommend calling the hospitals and asking for the business offices to see if they allow it. I think HIPPA is a big thing. We do have students but no shadows. One of my MD colleagues asked me if her nephew can shadow me but the business office didn't allow it.

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

I moved up here about a year ago and don't know many people in the area, especially in the healthcare field.  I tried contacting my primary care physician up here, spoke with friends, went on various websites and have e-mailed different PAs I have found online but no one has responded so far.  Anyone out there know of any PAs in the Bay Area I could shadow?

Thank you so much!

Have you tried John Muir? I shadowed a CT surg PA in their Concord campus years ago. It was a strange process and I recall going through a lot of paperwork and being interviewed. Unfortunately, I no longer have his contact information nor do I know if the PA I shadowed still works there but I was under the impression that they see students around all the time in the department. Perhaps give them a call? Good luck.

Thank you so much!

I just had a conversation about this with a girl from my PA program. If you're willing to travel further out to Sacramento, UC Davis Medical Center supposedly has a program for pre-medical students (regardless of year in school or school attending) where they have students shadow through different surgical sub-specialties. It's also supposed to be a semester-long commitment so you can get plenty of shadowing hours: www.premedsurgery.org.

I was lucky to get hooked up with a PA through my relative who worked at the clinic, but otherwise they normally wouldn't let students shadow due to strict HIPAA regulations. Kind of ridiculous that it's tough to shadow when many schools require those hours. Gotta network and just call everyone and everywhere and let them know your story. If you're willing to travel, I'm sure there are rural places or states i.e. Utah/AZ that might be more open to students shadowing.  Good luck!

Have you tried John Muir? I shadowed a CT surg PA in their Concord campus years ago. It was a strange process and I recall going through a lot of paperwork and being interviewed. Unfortunately, I no longer have his contact information nor do I know if the PA I shadowed still works there but I was under the impression that they see students around all the time in the department. Perhaps give them a call? Good luck.

Thank you so much!  I will give them a call.  That's hopeful :)

I just had a conversation about this with a girl from my PA program. If you're willing to travel further out to Sacramento, UC Davis Medical Center supposedly has a program for pre-medical students (regardless of year in school or school attending) where they have students shadow through different surgical sub-specialties. It's also supposed to be a semester-long commitment so you can get plenty of shadowing hours: www.premedsurgery.org.

Thanks so much!  This is all great info.  I'll check out that website.  I'm willing to drive out a bit if it's only once a week or so.  

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly the only people I shadowed were at the hospital I already worked at. Being a federal facility, if I didn't have that badge I wouldn't have had any luck.

While surfing the web a while back I noticed the SF PA group has a program to connect PAs and shadows. I have no idea about the quality, it costs money, and seems to offer few hours, but may be a valid option for those without connections: http://www.sfbapa.com/#!new-shadowing/cbwg

Archived