Post Bac

Hey i am having a hell of a time getting the pre reqs for PA program. I am enrolled in a couple CC and a University and the people who are science majors get to enroll in those classes berfore non majors. I tried to crash classes and was unable to get any prereq this semester. My advisor at the university said i should enroll pre med or take a post bac at another local school. The post back is 1 year and you get all of the pre reqs and they have advisors to help you thru the process but you cant work in that program. Its full time. Its geared tward career changers like me.

Do you think that would be worth it? Why or why not.

So I looked into the Post Bac thing pretty thoroughly about a year ago when I was deciding if I should go MD/DO.  I decided PA is a better route for me...that being said, a lot of the Post Bacs, unless specific to PA, are going to include a lot of courses you don't need, which is extra time.  The full time thing was also a problem for me at the time, because I was working full time and couldn't quit my job just to attend post bac.  If that's the only way you can get your prereqs, then you don't have much of a choice.  The other thing to check out is the Extension programs.  Many 4 year universities have them, just google UNIVERSITY HERE extension, and you'll get their website.  Might be a better way than a formal post bac and taking unneeded courses. 

I'm actually in a post bacc program right now.  It's an expensive option but it's nice because you could get into the classes you need.  I don't necessarily regret my decision to do a post bacc, but I feel like it was expensive.  The program I'm in doesn't force you to complete any certain class so you have the freedom to enroll in the classes you need.  If you're having a difficult time finding classes in a community college (I had the same issue) then I would recommend a post bacc.  

Archived