failing at being a PA

This may sound nutty, but have you thought about working in the field of integrative medicine? I have a similar personality to you and although I love medicine, I feel like a fish out of water as I am more sensitive and artistic in nature. I did a rotation at a naturopathic college once, and I really did like that style of medicine. It's low pressure and it also allows you to be creative. What I mean by that is, a lot of the practitioners had their own personal styles and chose totally different modalities for the same issue. For example, if there was an overweight person with diabetes, one might approach the patient from a nutritional standpoint, while others might approach him/her with herbals, acupuncture, hydrotherapy...the list goes on and on. Yes, in many ways it was SO quacky but it was a nice, creative, low pressure environment. Just a fun thought.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may sound nutty, but have you thought about working in the field of integrative medicine? I have a similar personality to you and although I love medicine, I feel like a fish out of water as I am more sensitive and artistic in nature. I did a rotation at a naturopathic college once, and I really did like that style of medicine. It's low pressure and it also allows you to be creative. What I mean by that is, a lot of the practitioners had their own personal styles and chose totally different modalities for the same issue. For example, if there was an overweight person with diabetes, one might approach the patient from a nutritional standpoint, while others might approach him/her with herbals, acupuncture, hydrotherapy...the list goes on and on. Yes, in many ways it was SO quacky but it was a nice, creative, low pressure environment. Just a fun thought.

The only way a PA could practice creatively is with owning their own practice and not be beholden to the ACO or ACA criteria or value based reimbursement crap going on in medicine.  So a concierge practice could be the key that accepts cash payments only.  Set your own schedule and the way you want to practice.  Integrative medicine  does have PAs in it and some are legitimate practices that don't do the quacky stuff. 

• 1 month later...

post-script: I am actually moving in this direction! (and feeling very good about it!).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You're in New York. I would eat a .40 cal round within 3 months if I had to live in NYC.

Move. Tomorrow. Most of America is still full of nice, respectful, hard working people. Find a rural FP gig, put your kids in rural school (won't require metal detectors in doorways). I know it sucks to pull kids out of high school (20 year military here), but it's better than throwing away a terrific career.

Good chance it's not YOU that are failing as a PA, but this is simply you practicing in a toxic city.

i lived in nyc for 18 yrs. I got burned out on it too. There is an inherent stress. I could sit here all day and make the same or other arguments about TX or IN where i live now (nobody goes outside except to go to their car, ugly built environment ruined by sprawl, alcoholics and meth heads) I'm sure the average and median hrs. Worked in nyc are higher than in most if not all rural areas. Just read a pc. About WV that is all white like 75% are on disability. Pretty much everyone works even if they get assistance. My super's great assistant is a homeless guy who is in a transitional setting. I'm from NH and find NYCers to be extremely gregarious, friendly, outgoing and solicitous of others wellbeing on average.

Archived