Becoming a certified MA

I've been working as a medical assistant for the past year and a half at a doctors office near my college. I will be graduating this year and moving back home, so I will be unable to continue working here. I did not need to be certified to work in this office, but I'm afraid that when I look for a job at home that they will not hire me since I am not certified (ideally I would love to continue as an MA). Does anyone know of any online MA programs that are relatively affordable? Time is not as much of an issue but cost is something I would like to keep as low as possible. Thank you.

• Administrator

Your experience is probably worth more than the certification. Write a good resume and have great references.

This may be true, but the OP doesn't mention whether or not college and home are in the same state or not.  If not, laws in the home state may be driving the need for certification.

Before you do an online program, be aware that state laws may require you to have a cert earned from an in-state institution.  When I left the Navy I was basically given MA and phleb certs by some accredited online programs, which I planned on using while in school.  I found later that I could not use them because the state of my residence required local certs.  I never used my online certs and let them lapse.

I am currently in the Boston area (so I could also find a certification program here) and I will be returning to the NYC area after graduation. I have tried finding an MA job at home before, but medical practices around me all require a certification, so if possible I would really like to find a certification program to complete in the next year.

Archived