ktcan10

Scripps La Jolla Trauma Residency?!?

Hello, friends. 

Has anybody heard about this? I ran across this startling post on indeed.com, and I was wondering if it was legit, if anybody had heard anything about this program, knew the people in charge, etc. 

It is something I'm very interested in, if anybody knows anything. 

Thanks again for all of your help and wise words. Made it through didactic year, and I'm charging full speed into clinical year! 

"Description 

Position for Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jollas Trauma PA Residency Program, beginning in 2015. This position is posted for those applicants that are currently accepted into our program.  

Qualifications 

Required Education/
Experience/Specialized Skills:
 Position for Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jollas Trauma PA Residency Program beginning in 2015. This position is posted for those applicants that are currently accepted into our program. Requirements are in accordance with the Trauma PA Residency Handbook. Accepted applicants must be graduates of an accredited PA Training program in accordance with ARC-PA and have passed the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants NCCPA certification examination. Application process must be completed with the California Medical Board and credentialing required with Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla. Bachelors degree required."

• Upvote 3

I am currently pre-PA (just sent out all my applications!) and I work for Scripps in San Diego. This is a brand new program that they started this year so that the the La Jolla campus can move to be a level 1 Trauma center. The only way to obtain a level 1 trauma center is to have "training residencies" within the hospital system. This is definitely a legit program and something I am interested in joining after I graduate as well! The only caveat I would add is that PAs are still a new and growing profession in San Diego, so they don't have the same responsibilities/trust that they have in other areas of the country that have been working with PAs for decades. This is definitely changing though and with additions of residencies like this one it is only going to grow!

• Upvote 2

I can only imagine how competitive a trauma residency in San Diego would be. Who wouldn't want to spend a year there, even if you never saw the light of day...

Weird that there's no info online about it yet? Maybe it's still being developed, or was given up on. As part of my program I got to do a month-long trauma rotation at Scripps Mercy. Great people, great experience. They didn't have any PA's on staff, though. Mostly NP's on the wards. Residents, med students, and PA students in the bays. Well, the residents also rounded on the ICU patients.

• Upvote 2

I searched high and low and even went so far as contacting the HR department at the hospital about the position and no one seemed to know anything about it. Must not have ever made it off the ground...

• Upvote 3

I had a similar experience. Contacted a bunch of people and they kept turfing me to other people, and finally made it up the food chain to the trauma director, who never answered my emails. :) I'm guessing it never got airborne, which is tragic.