Confused On How To Obtain HCE Hrs While Still In Undergrad

In my state (FL), we can challenge the CNA exam. I just watched the clinical videos online and then took the exam. It consisted of two parts (written and clinical). Very easy. Check if your state allows this. The whole process took 5 days and was super cheap.

Yeah I will check that out for sure!! 

I worked as an EKG/telemetry tech, as well as a mental health tech, during my time in undergrad. Neither required any certification courses, simply on the job training, and in the case of the EKG tech, I had to pass a test before I was allowed to work on my own.

Did you have any relevant experience before applying for those jobs? 

With the EKG/telemetry tech I did have to learn rhythms on the job and then take a certification test before I was allowed to work on my own. Additionally, any of the other people who I worked with that hadn't taken an outside certification course we're all going to school for something health related. However, with the mental health tech, I would say 50% of the employees were college students, and no one took any sort of certification course and only a couple of us were planning to go into the medical field. It's also definitely considered HCE.

• 3 weeks later...

You can get your CCMA through the NHA in about 6-8 months. They offer classes at night (mine was 2x/week) and some of the people in my class were FT undergrad students like yourself looking for ways to get those direct pt contact hours. It wasn't particularly overwhelming for them (as long as you regularly attend class, its pretty easy to get through, especially if you're currently taking your pre-pa prereqs like anatomy, physio, med term, etc). After that, you will have an easier time getting those MA jobs that require a cert.

However, what others have said is correct- MAs positions don't all require a certification, you just have to know where to look. Be sure to join your school's PA student organization on facebook as well as those at nearby schools. Often, they will post open positions that are looking for students and don't require certification, or they will post their community outreach activities where you can often get HCE there as well. Further, connect with your nearest "flying sams" organization. They typically do medical mission programs that are often over the weekends so that you don't have to miss school to participate.

And like others have said, don't be afraid of that time off in between undergrad and grad school. It will give you a chance to take a break, get that "real life" experience, and focus you further on your goals. You can do it!

Archived