Annual raises?

Hye guys--

I originally posted this on the IR forum, but figured I would get a broader survey. Please give some feedback as to what the practicing PAs on this forum see as far as annual salary raises (percentage) vs production incentives? Please share your experience.

Thanks,

Mike

we have gone from annual increases to an experience based scale. as you move up the scale you get pay increases. scale includes yrs of relevant experience (eg a neuro PA coming in with urology experience might get little/no credit!), education, etc.

I have never worked on a production basis.

I have worked at a few places. at 1 we got yearly raises. at another we got occassional raises(basically whenever we *****ed) and at my current job we get base salary + production which is the same for everyone regadles of seniority.

at my first job it was 5%/yr+ 4% cost of living/yr regardless of FTE...so even when I worked there 1 shift/mo I still got a yearly 9% raise....was making 75/hr when I left with 1.5X for overtime or short notice call....> 100/hr...but sometimes a job is so bad that no amt of money is worth it...

Have been at the same place for ~7 years. First 4 years i was an at-will employee and got paltry 0-4% raises with the other employees, not really based on merit. Went to contract 2 years ago and now can negotiate my raise. I have gotten 10% each year plus this year was able to add on a reasonable incentive, which is 15% of my base salary, so it is more than a 25% raise, asuming I make the incentive. 1/3 of the incentive is "project based" because I do a lot of uncompensated leadership stuff in my clinic. The rest is based on production. Interestingly, the docs have no cap on their incentives. Theirs is based on a multiplier of the base salary, and you get ~50% of anything you clear above that. Because I make a lower salary and work in a HIGHLY productive position, they felt the docs would get too pissed off if I made bigger bonuses than they do. I guess that sounds crappy writing it down, but it sure beats the heck out of the 0% raise I got one year for working basically the same job. Plus I can use that lack of a real incentive program to negotiate for a higher base pay (and it has totally worked) so I don't have to spend my time worrying about whether I am covering my overhead.

Oh, and I love my job, colleagues and staff. Seriously am in a career happy place now.

IM PA here. My initial post. It's a 0% raise for me for almost two years. When I ask for a raise, the reply was "I can't use my children's education fund to pay you because you needed a raise." He added by also saying " The MA left because she needed a raise & health ins coverage/benefit. You have that option as well."

IM PA here. My initial post. It's a 0% raise for me for almost two years. When I ask for a raise, the reply was "I can't use my children's education fund to pay you because you needed a raise." He added by also saying " The MA left because she needed a raise & health ins coverage/benefit. You have that option as well."

time to take them up on that offer and walk ....

I was initially brought on at a very low salary. This was my first job out of school. After my first year review I got a 12% raise which brought my pay up to a reasonable average. 2 years later I asked for a review to discuss this. I was given a $1,500 one time bonus and no other discussion since. That was almost a year ago. I think I may talk to them again once more before I start looking for other opportunities.

NY appears to be less than friendly. NC says welcome as does GA.

I think NY state is very PA friendly. Yeah..am my sp money making machine...he just recently hired a new PA...still he refuses to give me a raise..dishonoring our contractual agreement to say the least....

NYC is not known as being pa friendly in terms of pay but upstate ny is very pa friendly(pa's run er's solo for good money, etc).

I guess it depends on were you are in Upstate NY I am in Utica and our program pays very low and they think we should get paid 50% of salary of a PA in NYC for example because its low cost of living.

Any suggestions of what can we say or show that PA's in Cardiothorasic surgery with 10, 6 years experience and me new non experienced PA should be compensated for what we do.

I guess it depends on were you are in Upstate NY I am in Utica and our program pays very low and they think we should get paid 50% of salary of a PA in NYC for example because its low cost of living.

Any suggestions of what can we say or show that PA's in Cardiothorasic surgery with 10, 6 years experience and me new non experienced PA should be compensated for what we do.

Generally speaking, NY state is very PA friendly. The further away from the city the better.

Thanks for the input friends!! Had the conversation with the CEO and he is taking it to the group---lets just see. My contract is up in a year, so thats when the real negotiations start. IR is a win-win for the group---I pay my daily salary by 10 am each AM. The rest is gravy. Every thing I touch is revenue for the group. I had to point out that I don't draw a salary from the group (nor do most PAs), but instead make my money and then some ( a lot of some, haha).

Good luck to everyone. And to KMD - remember your talents and your value. Your SP is playing a dangerous game of chicken with you IMO, and the employer always loses in the long run if they have a dedicated, talented PA; Make him eat his words!!

Archived