Any current students or people familiar with the area have any advice on where to live?

I am going to be working basically non-stop for the next 3 months, so I won't be able to make another trip down to scope out the location, but I need to find a good place to live that is fairly close to the school. The hotel I stayed in for my interview was north of the school off of Hillsborough, and it wasn't exactly the nicest area. I'm wondering if somewhere south of the school would be a little nicer. Anyone on here with any knowledge of the area that they could share? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in Tampa (well the suburbs, anyways) and honestly, you don't want to live that close to the school. It's not in a great area at all. If you go north, stay east of the Veterans Expressway, like Town N Country area. That is a reasonable commute and mostly going the opposite way of traffic. To the south, anywhere south of the interstate is fine. The further south you go the better off you are. There are some great up and coming areas near University of Tampa. South of Kennedy (hwy 60) gets pricey, but is going to be way nicer. SoHo, or South Howard is the trendy area with lots of young professionals, but very expensive. From Kennedy and Macdill it took me about 15-20 min to get to the hospital, which is a block or so down from South.

• 4 weeks later...

Also not going to this school but will second Carrollwood/Lake Magdalene/Town&Country.  If you're willing to go a little further Westchase is nice as well as Citrus Park or up by USF in Temple Terrace/New Tampa.  If I had to move back, I'd sacrifice space and pay more to be in South Tampa/SoHo/Bayshore for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived