At the Top of Another List - Top 25 Jobs for Millennials

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/07/31/millennials-are-more-likely-to-live-with-their-parents-than-their-parents-were/

Millennials also most likely to live with their parents...

So we now we have a profession of doctor assistants living with their parents while buying extremely expensive cars but not paying their own cell phone bill. USA! USA! USA!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/07/31/millennials-are-more-likely-to-live-with-their-parents-than-their-parents-were/

So we now we have a profession of doctor assistants living with their parents while buying extremely expensive cars but not paying their own cell phone bill. USA! USA! USA!

That was the funniest article I ever read.  Especially the last sentence.  There's also something wrong with the parents who allow their millennial to camp out in the basement. (or the parent's penthouse). 

I worked as an er tech with a 19 yr old PA years ago who lived with her parents. she could rx morphine, but could not buy a beer. she graduated high school at 16 and had a few years as a candy stripper for experience. she did a yr of prereqs then she went to a 2 yr a.s. level program in the 80s. She drove a high end sport car. scary, scary, scary...

As I am a "millennial", I can attest for much of my generation that increasing cost of living (most of the country) and outrageous school debts are forcing many to live with their parents.  There really isn't many other options, unless you want to add another 10-20,000 dollars of loan money per year.  This is a more recent issue which is only increasing.  My friends who decided to forego college and quickly join the workforce doing jobs requiring only a high school diploma have been living on their own for a long time now. 

Whatever happened to the idea of parents being pro-active and saving for their child(rens) education, assuming that they wish to assist with it in the first place?  It worked in my household for my daughter.  I'm not saying this to imply that I'm some great son-of-a-gun, I'm just saying it can be done if one looks forward enough.  If we're going to be responsible enough to make a decision to bring a life into the world (and that may be a big assumption in and of itself) then maybe we need to consider the long range perspective as well.  All that being said, I'm not exactly sure what this $100K sheet of paper got her but that's a topic for another day.  With regard to Ff23's statement; cell phone charge paid by dad?  Check.  Health insurance through mom's employer paid by mom/dad?  Check.  Monthly stipend for twelve additional months?  Check.  Nice new apt. in one of the costlier areas of the state?  Check.  In her defense, she has been taking on more expenses every couple of months and other insurance types have been moved into her name and are being paid by her.  Life sounds kind of like being a new PA grad..  Spoon feed the first year or so with someone looking over your shoulder then start giving solids and check in as needed/mandated.

I agree GetMEOuttaThisMess, but helping late is better than never.   I also think the mindset that "college is for everyone" is ridiculous, it's just another big business now.  I'd like to see the stats of how much money in the U.S has been spent on college funds that did not lead to a related job.

I'm just a little bit ticked off on the amount PA programs that are being accredited. Watering down a solid profession with mediocre applicants (little to no HCE), making them pay up to $50k a year in tuition, and then kicking them out into a profession where they have received no training on how to approach the business side of medicine, how to choose a job that fits their skill level, and how to negotiate a contract.

NP's have the upper hand on us in that regard. I'm just confused on why the AAPA and PAEA haven't put a stop to handing out accreditations to schools who will have a hard time with clinical placement. This is becoming a real problem in the Northeastern region of the country.

I agree GetMEOuttaThisMess, but helping late is better than never.   I also think the mindset that "college is for everyone" is ridiculous, it's just another big business now.  I'd like to see the stats of how much money in the U.S has been spent on college funds that did not lead to a related job.

Amen, on the "big business" statement.  From their end, it's all about the cash.  And they sure as heck don't mind asking you for more of it after the fact.  With regard to placing students, my program had to search like crazy back in '83 to find me a preceptor for my clinical elective (ended up being a 3rd year IM resident from my first year that lectured during our Clinical Medicine class who had just gone into IM practice).  Spent the eight weeks, or however long it was, sitting in his office reading journals while he was trying to get his practice up and running.

^^^^^

WHAT??

So you are saying our growing profession is bad????

yikes....

In a sense, yes. Med schools in the US stopped growth a while ago. The amount of residencies became stagnant. Caribbean schools haven't stopped growing. It's been horrible for their students and for medicine as a whole. New school doesn't=better. Ask all of those PA students in saturated areas who will have a hard time with rotation sites, their first job, and ultimately their career as the sequelae can be devastating.

I've read the stories on here. many students and new grads are struggling. Many accept jobs at salaries that are laughable because they have no other options. Their loans are weighing on them. They have no experience of connections prior to PA school because they were 19 and worked at transporting patients at the hospital.

"Do YOU really want to be a PA" thread in the pre-pa section of this forum should be required reading for all thinking about being a PA. I think it is starred. http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/1927-do-you-really-want-to-be-a-pa/#

As I am a "millennial", I can attest for much of my generation that increasing cost of living (most of the country) and outrageous school debts are forcing many to live with their parents.  There really isn't many other options, unless you want to add another 10-20,000 dollars of loan money per year.  This is a more recent issue which is only increasing.  My friends who decided to forego college and quickly join the workforce doing jobs requiring only a high school diploma have been living on their own for a long time now. 

I'm a millennial as well and I don't live with my parents nor do I have any debt.

How did I do this? Military service.

There's always a path to success, even in our generation. Unfortunately, many of our brethren are simply too lazy or too complacent to find it.

I'm a millennial as well and I don't live with my parents nor do I have any debt.

How did I do this? Military service.

There's always a path to success, even in our generation. Unfortunately, many of our brethren are simply too lazy or too complacent to find it.

The military comprises 1% of the population. A great option for those who qualify but not good for those who do have no interest in serving, are physically unfit, political/religious beliefs that do not allign etc. I'm a millennial living with my mom because I cannot afford to live alone, and I work fulltime as an EMT. I make $1200 a month after taxes and in my county you are lucky to find a one bedroom apartment for that much. I could move to a cheaper area and have a horrendous commute to school and have absolutely no financial security as I would live paycheck to paycheck. All Im saying is to the posters knocking millennials we aren't doing this out of choice, we live in a different economy than most of you grew up in.

Whatever happened to the idea of parents being pro-active and saving for their child(rens) education, assuming that they wish to assist with it in the first place?  It worked in my household for my daughter.  I'm not saying this to imply that I'm some great son-of-a-gun, I'm just saying it can be done if one looks forward enough.  If we're going to be responsible enough to make a decision to bring a life into the world (and that may be a big assumption in and of itself) then maybe we need to consider the long range perspective as well.  All that being said, I'm not exactly sure what this $100K sheet of paper got her but that's a topic for another day.  With regard to Ff23's statement; cell phone charge paid by dad?  Check.  Health insurance through mom's employer paid by mom/dad?  Check.  Monthly stipend for twelve additional months?  Check.  Nice new apt. in one of the costlier areas of the state?  Check.  In her defense, she has been taking on more expenses every couple of months and other insurance types have been moved into her name and are being paid by her.  Life sounds kind of like being a new PA grad..  Spoon feed the first year or so with someone looking over your shoulder then start giving solids and check in as needed/mandated.

agree. I'm a parent of teenagers and have been putting money into a tax deductible college fund for my kids since they were born. it won't cover everything, but will cover a lot. I have lots of friends who are crippled by student loan debt. My family paid for my schooling and I am going to pass along that gift to my kids.

The military comprises 1% of the population. A great option for those who qualify but not good for those who do have no interest in serving, are physically unfit, political/religious beliefs that do not allign etc. I'm a millennial living with my mom because I cannot afford to live alone, and I work fulltime as an EMT. I make $1200 a month after taxes and in my county you are lucky to find a one bedroom apartment for that much. I could move to a cheaper area and have a horrendous commute to school and have absolutely no financial security as I would live paycheck to paycheck. All Im saying is to the posters knocking millennials we aren't doing this out of choice, we live in a different economy than most of you grew up in.

There are all types of people in the military, from the physically unfit, to Muslims, to extreme liberals, and everyone in between. There's even a bill that was recently passed that will allow trannys in the military.

My point is that your current situation is your choice. We live in a western country, meaning that we could do just about anything we want if we're willing to work hard enough for it.

Stop making excuses and start making things happen.

The military is not for everyone. Religion aside many hold political beliefs that do not coincide with military service. As for the ad hominem attack I am "making things happen" by working full-time on an ambulance accumulating HCE and going to school full-time.

Just because the military was the right choice for you doesn't make it the right choice for me. And you can call the cost of living rising faster than wages "making excuses" and I can call that a rather lazy straw man argument.

In a sense, yes. Med schools in the US stopped growth a while ago. The amount of residencies became stagnant. Caribbean schools haven't stopped growing. It's been horrible for their students and for medicine as a whole. New school doesn't=better. Ask all of those PA students in saturated areas who will have a hard time with rotation sites, their first job, and ultimately their career as the sequelae can be devastating.

19 newly accredited MD programs in the US since the year 2000. Eight are in the works right now, according to the LCME. That's not counting DO programs, which I believe have opened even more schools in the last ~15 years. Everyone is cashing in on the high-cost of medical education. :/

Someone here once said that as long as a new program can meet the minimum accreditation requirements set by the ARC-PA, then they cannot legally be denied accreditation... so the ARC-PA can't just say "okay, that's enough right now". I guess the only real way to limit new schools would be to raise standards/requirements even higher, making accreditation harder to achieve? Not sure it that would be better or worse for the profession though...

I've read the stories on here. many students and new grads are struggling. Many accept jobs at salaries that are laughable because they have no other options. Their loans are weighing on them. They have no experience of connections prior to PA school because they were 19 and worked at transporting patients at the hospital.

Schools really do need to have a sit-down class at the end of their programs, where students get at least some formal guidance in contract negotiation/acceptable salaries, etc.

Dan - I don't believe it's the number of MD/DO schools that is the rate-limiter, but rather the number of MD/DO residency positions.  

Rains - Nothing wrong with living with family while you are actively working to improve your futures (ie: PA school).  Sounds like you're doing the smart thing, best of luck to you.

Of course, if you're living somewhere that a 1 bedroom apartment costs $1200 a month, then you should seriously consider moving.  My mortgage on a 2100 sq ft 4 bed/2ba house with huge back yard is only $715 (including tax & insurance).  We just looked at an 3 bedroom/2 ba 2000 sq ft house, on 80 acres of mixed land (40 acres grassland, 40 acres mature woods with running stream) for $300K.

Archived