Sign in to follow this  
CristinaC

Low BA GPA, High Pre-reqs GPA.... What are my chances?

Just like many in this forum, I'm a little nervous about how to approach my education and experience in the most productive and fulfilling way... so here's my info... 

Cons:

I have a BA (Art History, as a single mother) with a low GPA (2.7) from 10 years ago... it feels like a lifetime ago. 

Pros:

I went back to school and have a 4.0 GPA on all my pre-reqs: Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Eng1A, Intermediate Algebra, Stats, General Chem, Organic Chem, Psychology, Nutrition, Sociology. 

Also, I'm currently

1. a volunteer at hospital (was awarded a scholarship which includes this "vip" access volunteering experience). 

2. finishing my Medical Assistant program (4.0 GPA as well)

Future plans:

1. volunteer in community clinic (focus on hispanic, low income)

2. volunteer in clinic at Santiago, in the Dominican Republic (my father was dominican)

3. work as M.A. for at least 1.5 yrs before PA school

Demographics: I'm a bilingual (spanish/english) woman from Puerto Rico, 35 y.o., living in Northern California. Member of various clubs and associations (academic and professional)

What else can I do to become a PA with my low BA GPA? Recommendations are more than welcome (Including more fitting schools).

Thank you.

I would say you are doing just about everything you could possibly do to make up for that low GPA you had the first time you went to school.

What is your cumulative GPA like now having taken those additional courses? Keep in mind that that a lot of schools have a minimum 3.0 cut off.

It sounds like you are really passionate about pursuing this profession and taking all the necessary steps to prepare your application. I would suggest taking more classes since you are doing so well and that will surely bring your GPA up even more. Consider taking a general biology course, medical terminology, genetics, biochemistry, etc. These are all good, relevant classes to take for PA school.

Study hard for the GRE. Although not required by every program, it can certainly help your chances if you crank out a really good score.

Best of luck to you! 

• Upvote 1

You sound just like me. I'm also an older student with poor GPA from 10 years ago and a 4.0 since my return in 2009.  Keep focused and really work on getting a solid personal statement. They will see who you really are, how far you've come , and where you are going. I was brutally honest in both of my personal statements and I am getting ready to interview at one of my top choice schools. It was a big risk that I would not recommend to everyone, but I'm truly glad that I put it all on the table. Many PAs I've talked to say that the professors want to know that we are real people with good life experience to apply to our careers, not just cookie-cutter applicants with mommy and daddy paying for our education. Best of luck to you!

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By jaderiv
      I thought I would start this thread since CWRU is one of my top choices! I have not submitted my application yet, but I plan to do so middle July. Good luck everyone!
    • By mly3025
      Hi everyone. I am currently applying this cycle with these stats.
      According to my calculations:
      cGPA = 3.12
      sGPA = 3.23
      These grades are the combined total of all my classes, including undergraduate (cGPA 2.88 and sGPA 2.96). I took post-bac classes (53 credits) and received A's in all them, which include major pre reqs required by most PA schools. For one year, I worked full time while taking courses. 
      GRE = 309 total. 154 Quant (55th percentile) 155 Verbal (69th percentile) and 5.0 writing (93rd percentile) 
      Total PCE ~ 4057 hours for about 2 years of working full time + per diem. I am continuing to work full time so this number will increase.  
      Total HCE/Volunteer  ~ 100 hours at a senior center 
      Shadowing ~ 585 hours (480 of which was during work hours where I would directly work with a PA throughout my shift) 
      Leadership role as a board member of a student association group and extra curricular's involving dance choreographer during my time as an undergraduate student. I may also be TA-ing microbology or anatomy this spring. 
      I feel strong in my letters of recommendations and am currently in the process of trimming and editing my personal statement draft. I am continuing to shadow PA's after work now that my school semester is over, but I do not think its a good idea for me to continue taking courses since it would require a bunch of other classes to bump my GPA up even higher. Besides this, what can I do to stand out more and make myself a better applicant to offset my low GPA?

• By jlhuy260
      Hello everyone! Just wanted to start the forum for the current application cycle. Good luck to everyone! 🙂
      CASPA and supplemental application submitted on 5/26/19.
    • By jlhuy260
      Hello everyone! Just wanted to start a forum for the current application cycle! 🙂 Good luck to everyone!
      Submitted my CASPA on 5/17/19!
    • By Habb31719
      I wanted to know if anyone could add any input on this; 
      I had requested a PA for a letter of evaluation. He was happy to agree to give one. I also had sent him a copy of my resume just because I thought that was the appropriate thing to do. 
      last week at work him had mentioned two things... he had brought it up to me that I didn't have my GPA posted on my resume and asked if if I was planning to put it on my resume. he also started asking me things like "do you want me to just not address GPA at all then?". So, for the copy of the resume I had sent to her, I didn't put my GPA in because I didn't think it was going to be helpful (my undergrad is a 3.35 which is not competitive) The whole purpose of sending him a 1 page resume was so that he could know a little more of what I have done in undergrad; like, have a little more amount of information of who I am outside of scribing. (I've been a scribe for about 9 months; about 5 of those months have been heavily involved with this particular PA, so although we haven't had many conversations personally its not like I am a stranger to him 
      The other thing that he requested is if I had personal statement finished. I will sincerely admit, I am quite behind on the application process as my personal statement still has work to do; I told him it's still being written. He asked if she should have a summary of it or something like that so he has more details to flesh out his evaluation letter. 
      I told her I would email her about the GPA issue and the personal statement summary because he was asking out loud in front of the other doctors and employees in the nurses station and I was a little shy to answer. I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting him to ask those questions.
      So here is what I was asking: 
      1. Should I have 3.35 on my resume at all? (I was a public health major)
      2. Is giving a personal statement/summary super necessary for you LOR evaluators? Because I really have alot more to do on my PS so I'm not sure how I can make a good summary in a short amount of time to give him; as well as the other evaluators.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More