Sign in to follow this  
CristinaC

Low BA GPA, High Pre-reqs GPA.... What are my chances?

Just like many in this forum, I'm a little nervous about how to approach my education and experience in the most productive and fulfilling way... so here's my info... 

Cons:

I have a BA (Art History, as a single mother) with a low GPA (2.7) from 10 years ago... it feels like a lifetime ago. 

Pros:

I went back to school and have a 4.0 GPA on all my pre-reqs: Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Eng1A, Intermediate Algebra, Stats, General Chem, Organic Chem, Psychology, Nutrition, Sociology. 

Also, I'm currently

1. a volunteer at hospital (was awarded a scholarship which includes this "vip" access volunteering experience). 

2. finishing my Medical Assistant program (4.0 GPA as well)

Future plans:

1. volunteer in community clinic (focus on hispanic, low income)

2. volunteer in clinic at Santiago, in the Dominican Republic (my father was dominican)

3. work as M.A. for at least 1.5 yrs before PA school

Demographics: I'm a bilingual (spanish/english) woman from Puerto Rico, 35 y.o., living in Northern California. Member of various clubs and associations (academic and professional)

What else can I do to become a PA with my low BA GPA? Recommendations are more than welcome (Including more fitting schools).

Thank you.

I would say you are doing just about everything you could possibly do to make up for that low GPA you had the first time you went to school.

What is your cumulative GPA like now having taken those additional courses? Keep in mind that that a lot of schools have a minimum 3.0 cut off.

It sounds like you are really passionate about pursuing this profession and taking all the necessary steps to prepare your application. I would suggest taking more classes since you are doing so well and that will surely bring your GPA up even more. Consider taking a general biology course, medical terminology, genetics, biochemistry, etc. These are all good, relevant classes to take for PA school.

Study hard for the GRE. Although not required by every program, it can certainly help your chances if you crank out a really good score.

Best of luck to you! 

• Upvote 1

You sound just like me. I'm also an older student with poor GPA from 10 years ago and a 4.0 since my return in 2009.  Keep focused and really work on getting a solid personal statement. They will see who you really are, how far you've come , and where you are going. I was brutally honest in both of my personal statements and I am getting ready to interview at one of my top choice schools. It was a big risk that I would not recommend to everyone, but I'm truly glad that I put it all on the table. Many PAs I've talked to say that the professors want to know that we are real people with good life experience to apply to our careers, not just cookie-cutter applicants with mommy and daddy paying for our education. Best of luck to you!

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ttnPA
      Hi guys, 
      I am currently an undergrad about to graduate in May with a bachelor of science in Neuroscience. I'm hoping to get some advice/insight on my application and stats. 
      cGPA: 3.4
      sGPA: 3.2
      Last 60 hrs: 3.7
      PCE: 
      ER scribe: 2000+ (I understand not all school accepts this as PCE but the schools I will be applying to does)  MA?: 700 hrs. (I worked at a Chiropractor office about 2 years ago. I didn't have a job title but my duties included triage, assisting physician in minor procedures, and acting as a medical translator between the patient and the physician) Would this still count?  Medical Assistance: About to begin this job in May at a local urgent care near my house. Will be train on the spot and hopefully get certified in a few months. Volunteer: 
      Children Hospital: 60+ hours Volunteer at local hospital in high school: 50 hours (Don't know if this would still count) Shadowing:
      30+ hours ER PA (2 separate PA) 10 hours cardiology PA pending shadowing with ICU PA  LOR:
      ER physician  ER Physician ER PA Cardiology PA GRE: taking in May 
      So, I understand both of my GPA is on the lower side. I did dual enrollment as a high school student and my transfer GPA after starting college was 3.8. Sadly, something very unfortunate happened in my life a week before my first semester and it became really tough balancing school, my life, and my mother's medical issue. I was also a Biology major and very confused about what I wanted to do in my life during this time. Took a bunch of classes I never needed (wasted money) and made B's on most of them and 1 C. Then, the following year my mother's health worsened and stupidly during this time I decided to take O-chem while all of this was happening.  I ended up failing my first class ever with a D. It took a while for me to bounce back but I eventually did and passed O-chem the second time I retook it. Since then, I've changed my major to Neuroscience (LOVE IT) and have made A's in most of my classes and 2-3 B's in others. 
      Is there anyway to improve my application? I am planning to apply this cycle regardless just to get familiar with the process and hopefully I get an offer or two. However, I am prepare to accept the fact that I may not get in this year so that means I might have a "gap" year to improve myself. I would appreciate any advice/insight! Thank you for taking your time to read this!
    • By zgotham1
      Hello All, 

I hope you are doing well. I was just curious if anyone has run into the same issue with shadowing that i am in currently. So, unfortunately I dont have the connections to other PAs like some people do, so this leads to having to go above and beyond to try to find PAs to shadow. I finally found one that is willing to take me on that doesn't currently have PA students with them (I go to Gannon University and I live close to Mercyhurst University, which both have PA programs), however, they want me to pay $50 per shadowing visit. I have never heard of anything like this before. Is this normal to pay $50/per shadow experience? Or is this just a UPMC thing. Is it worth it? Or should i keep trying to find other facilities that dont require such. 

- Zach 
    • By beavpa
      I have some concern about my A&P GPA meeting the prerequisite requirement for PA school. As most of you know many PA schools have a minimum GPA requirement of a "B-" or 3.0. In my first term of A&P lab I received a C+, which doesn't meet the minimum requirement. But my overall A&P GPA (3 quarters of lecture and laboratory) does meet the minimum GPA requirement. What will PA schools look at, my individual letter grade or my overall A&P GPA? 
    • Guest JohnT
      By Guest JohnT
      if  I were to earn A's in all of my needed science classe, what are my chances for getting accepted to PA school after graduation?
    • Guest JohnT
      By Guest JohnT
      what are my chances for getting accepted to PA school after graduation?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More