Online MBA during PA school (foreign medical graduate)

Hello everyone,

Would it be (realistically) possible to complete an online MBA while simultaneously in PA school?  I am a foreign medical graduate and I just began PA school (didn't want to go through residency in the states).  I am actively realizing there is a huge time commitment in PA school, but I have found that my previous training has made it much less stressful/time consuming than for my classmates.  Would it be too far fetched to take 1-2 MBA classes online given my background?

Thank you for the help.

Its possible, but it might be easier during clinical year when you dont have weekly exams etc. i did an mph from a different university at the same time that I am doing PA school (finished the mph in may and will finish pa school in dec), but I completed most of the work for the mph during clinical year. I didnt haveyour background however. You also might want to check with your program. My program 100% supported me in my pursuit, but I'd imagine many would not. Also, it was understood that if my grades or performance in PA school ever started to slip, I would have to stop the MPH if I wanted to continue.

Have done both

PA school was hard

MBA was easier - but still challenging.  My program was a top 15 worldwide program, and top 7 in the US so it was intense.....

I would not have wanted to combine them as I was 100% into PA school, and MBA school was fun too.......

Some of it comes down to how hard you want to study in PA school, I was honor grad, was top 10% in my class, was top 10% in PANCE, and loved it.  I lived it and really look back fondly on it.  

I have worked with various FMG and honestly some of them are great (Europe trained) and some of them would clearly have never passed PA school with out a HUGE amount of additional work.  If you are strong and knowledge is fresh - PA school might be easier for you - but if med school was a number of years ago, or you went through a less intense program PA school might be more then enough on it's own.

tough to say

Thank you both for your replies.  I finished my medical training in Europe 2 years ago.  I can't see myself going through residency in the states (due to a few reasons), but I feel pretty confident in PA school thus far.  I have rarely studied in the evenings over the past 3 months, so I see it as an opportunity to earn the MBA now rather than in the future. 

Did your MBA/MPH help either of you in terms of job opportunities, leverage for a higher salary, etc?  I have a slight business background, so it makes sense for me to open doors for the future.  I want to eventually do more than just be a clinician.  My main concern with earning it has to do with cost more than anything else (is it worth the extra 40k on top of PA loans)?

Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone,

Would it be (realistically) possible to complete an online MBA while simultaneously in PA school?  I am a foreign medical graduate and I just began PA school (didn't want to go through residency in the states).  I am actively realizing there is a huge time commitment in PA school, but I have found that my previous training has made it much less stressful/time consuming than for my classmates.  Would it be too far fetched to take 1-2 MBA classes online given my background?

Thank you for the help.

Archived