Teledoc Vs Texas Medical Board

Late follow up.. after all the appeals and what not the federal courts essentially struck down restrictions on practice ownership in Texas. I now own my own practice (as of 2 weeks ago) and expect legislation in the next session to follow the federal court ruling. In the interim the medical board is no longer sending letters to practices asking them to declare their ownership.

Congrats!  HB 2098 was voted in during my first year of PA school and when the TAPA president(at the time) showed up to talk about joining I asked her why they would support a bill that restricts PA ownership more heavily than the previous workarounds.  I specifically pointed out that it made it so no PA could own more of the company than any of the docs(even if one doc held 2% then a PA could only hold 1.99%).  I was shrugged off and told "that's not now I read it."  I didn't have much interest in getting involved with them at that point.

Congrats!  HB 2098 was voted in during my first year of PA school and when the TAPA president(at the time) showed up to talk about joining I asked her why they would support a bill that restricts PA ownership more heavily than the previous workarounds.  I specifically pointed out that it made it so no PA could own more of the company than any of the docs(even if one doc held 2% then a PA could only hold 1.99%).  I was shrugged off and told "that's not now I read it."  I didn't have much interest in getting involved with them at that point.

IMO, that particular president was a "big shrug".  First time I ever contacted TAPA in over 30 years and got a "don't have time for this" attitude for a very legitimate question.  Debating whether they are worth my money this year (actually, my employer's....er, the taxpayer's money).

• 1 year later...

im so glad I found this page, I am working on being 100% owner of a family practice that is cash pay and was searching all over regarding this issue, I saved the link to the rulings of the suit and hope that I don't have any issues with the TMB. 

now quick question, 

how do I go about reporting the clinic to the TMB, they only have a link for "joint practices" 

please help

thank you

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kberns
      Hi Everyone,
      My name is Kammie and I am currently an PA applicant for 2021-2022. I have obtained over 2,000 hours of patient care experience (PCE) as a medical assistant for a dermatology clinic. I am not certified and looking for students who want to obtain PCE as a medical assistant. If you would like to know more information please message below and I can get in contact with you about a great hands on opportunity in Fort Worth, Texas. Thank you.

• By PrePA2614
      Hi all! Starting a thread for this application cycle! Good luck to everyone applying!!
    • By vjaniceb
      Hi there, my name is Vanessa and I just graduated with my bachelor's in February. I am looking to pursue into a PA program but not quite sure where to start. I am currently studying for the GRE and have about 250 internship hours done at an ENT clinic with an audiologist. I'm not sure in what I am doing and need any guidance or suggestion in what to do. 
    • By carlykibler
      Eager to find a PA/NP/MD provider willing to precept me for a 2 week rotation in April! Ideally a specialty practice but also open to primary care. Thanks!
    • By emccoskey
      Hi everyone, 
      I am starting my clinical year in January 2021, but you can never get too ahead of the game! My SO works from home and would like for me to do my rotations in Texas, in the Austin or Dallas area if possible (I know these areas are saturated). I go to a school that will allow me to do as many rotations out of state as I would like. With COVID I realize that this may be impossible, but does anyone have recommendations on contacting preceptors in the state of Texas so that I can ask about doing rotations there? Any information would be helpful, and once again I do acknowledge that this is a long shot with that state of the world right now! TYIA

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More