Sick days not paid out upon resignation

Vacation days are money. Sick time is an insurance policy and doesn't have a cash value on departure. Many companies have gone to Paid Time Off and all your time is PTO regardless of how you use it. It also has a cash out value or should.

Scott Stegall PA-C

Correct. PTO is considered earnings (at least in my state) and has to be paid out. Sick leave is just a benefit of an employee, it has no cash value.

I am 7 working days away from being done in this current job.

They have made sure the time is painful and there is no gratitude - just keep seeing patients till the moment you leave.

I am beaten down and done.

They will be down a whole provider and their new incoming 0.8 FTE doc has very limited prior experience in Occ Med.

They are also down 2 MAs and the NP now wants to work part time since his wife recently retired.

Deep Sigh

No love lost here.

I canceled the meeting with HR.

The town is small and this corporate behemoth owns more than half of everything here.

I might have a future need for employment.

I have a lot of strong opinions and a long history of experience and good, strong practice.

Seemingly none of it matters at this point.

They aren't going to suddenly start valuing PAs - the MD or DO behind your name makes you golden even if you don't know your bum from a hole in the ground and have no experience, no leadership qualities and can't function with the office staff.

It is a day of droopy.

I can only look forward to the new job with a private doc who never wants to be owned by corporate anyone and just wants his father's practice to carry on after 35 yrs. He seems to value what PAs can do with him and for him.

At least it rained and helped some of the wildfires in Washington.................

Another damn painful reminder of a love lost for me.  The job where the boss kept my sick/vacay pay?  I was really really good at it.  Like super good - patients loved me and even the abusive doc as well.  Upon my resignation, I made sure to end things as nicely and professional as can be.  I tried to have a conversation - that didn't work as the boss literally walked away from me during my speech.  Then, I turned in a formal resignation letter.  Turns out that move was wasted - the boss made sure my departure was very painful with no gratitude as well.  No HR, no exit interview, not a damn thing except a nasty letter wishing me bad fortune on my overseas vacation.  The part that slays me is that unfortunately, I have to list the boss down on my CV, thus prompting a call for references.  Guess what?  The former boss refuses to say ONE word about me.  Not even the cold hard facts - never late, never sick, never written up, worked from x-z days - NOTHING to show for the work I did.  As if I did all that work for nothing.  How do I begin to explain to potential employers that they won't get a reference, let alone blood from the boss, without sounding as if I'm still in high school?

So, I totally can relate to the feeling of feeling beat down and done. Had to have Ativan prescribed for a 1 week duration.  Reality Check, I think you're doing the right thing - no matter what you do, it can backfire on you.  Given the fact it's a huge corporation, it's best you just not make waves and move on.  Shitty, eh?  Is it this way for midlevels or the entire medical profession?  Last I checked, it's pretty dang hard to get a crappy doc fired.  But, I feel as midlevels, we're held to different standards.  Correct me if I'm wrong on anything I've said here but these are based on my own experiences/observations.  I'm having more days where being a janitor looks appealing.

SamIAm - I completely agree.

They made my life easier yesterday - my administrator absolutely could not stand it that I even called HR about anything.

He had HR call me and tell me that it was my last day and they will pay out my resignation time.

My administrator couldn't even tell me himself. He had someone from HR do it.

So, a guy with an MBA who is a director of a department cannot have an adult conversation with someone and gets petty because I talked to HR and had some questions.

WOW

So, I get a small paid vacation or the benefit of my sick days - however you want to look at it.

I am being domestic and hanging out with my dogs and going to unwind and renew my spirit.

My patients deserved better than to be left hanging.

They didn't even tell the doc I worked with - the one who quit speaking to me or making eye contact the day I resigned - speaking of high school…..

My patients are looking for me. They obviously won't tell them where I went.

A friend who is a doc at the local VA is still speechless and dumbfounded that anyone with any professional responsibility could act that way.

Oh well, I move on. I have a whole panel of patients waiting for me at the new practice which is privately owned and over 35 yrs old. I will give them my best and remember why I went into medicine in the first place.

Live and Learn

If your new clinic is close to the old one they could put a little blurb in the local paper about your new practice.

You will be flooded with all your former patients.

Rest.  A nice cup of peppermint tea will renew you!!!!

SamIAm - I completely agree.

They made my life easier yesterday - my administrator absolutely could not stand it that I even called HR about anything.

He had HR call me and tell me that it was my last day and they will pay out my resignation time.

My administrator couldn't even tell me himself. He had someone from HR do it.

So, a guy with an MBA who is a director of a department cannot have an adult conversation with someone and gets petty because I talked to HR and had some questions.

WOW

So, I get a small paid vacation or the benefit of my sick days - however you want to look at it.

I am being domestic and hanging out with my dogs and going to unwind and renew my spirit.

My patients deserved better than to be left hanging.

They didn't even tell the doc I worked with - the one who quit speaking to me or making eye contact the day I resigned - speaking of high school…..

My patients are looking for me. They obviously won't tell them where I went.

A friend who is a doc at the local VA is still speechless and dumbfounded that anyone with any professional responsibility could act that way.

Oh well, I move on. I have a whole panel of patients waiting for me at the new practice which is privately owned and over 35 yrs old. I will give them my best and remember why I went into medicine in the first place.

Live and Learn

You're just an assistant! Another money making machine. Believe me. Nobody cares.

I suggested in my previous post that you should move on. You can't win.

Being tie up to physician is a disservice to the profession. We're often time maltreated. The nurses (NP) are treated a lot better in situation like this because they're not tie up with physicians plus given their lobbying power.

Once again. Learn your lesson. Move on! Good luck!

Don't be hateful. It is not a lesson to learn but a story to tell.

I am not content to be treated this way or settle for being treated this way.

If I can help one PA from not being tx'ed poorly then my story has purpose.

Again, not a lesson to learn - an opportunity to advance some sort of change.

After 25 yrs I have value and intelligence and perhaps even some wisdom from my experiences.

I deserve better and will strive for better!

Thanks for your opinion but there is vast room for improvement.

Archived