Masters vs certificate

Hi everyone, I got into both a masters program and a certificate program but I dont know which one to go to. Is a masters in PA really necessary? The masters program is 30 months and the certificate program is 22 months, which makes me want to go to the certificate program. Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch.

I really think, for the health of our profession, that you should seek a Masters. Much about life is perception (which is too bad). For too long the nursing community has tired to misinform the public that PAs only have a little college and NPs have a masters degree. I wish all PA programs were just masters to shut them up. My PA program was extremely hard. It was much harder than my roommates program, a masters in math. Yet I only got a cert out of it. It was used against me often in my career (usually by hospital nurses that made the point that I didn't have a masters). I did get my master finally.

Now does this influence how good of a provider you are? No. Only the political hassles you will face.

What's wrong with doing the Cert and while your working that extra 8months doing masters thru AT-Still, Nebraska or St Francis? My program gives an AS and when I'm done I plan to do AT-Still's masters online. As for the some states Masters requirement it's 3, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio; then there are 6 with a BS requirement, Arkansas, Connecticut, Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania. http://www.aapa.org/images/stories/Advocacy-state-summaries/Requirements_for_Licensure.pdf

What's wrong with doing the Cert and while your working that extra 8months doing masters thru AT-Still, Nebraska or St Francis? My program gives an AS and when I'm done I plan to do AT-Still's masters online. As for the some states Masters requirement it's 3, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio; then there are 6 with a BS requirement, Arkansas, Connecticut, Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania. http://www.aapa.org/images/stories/Advocacy-state-summaries/Requirements_for_Licensure.pdf

From my perspective, no difference. A masters is a masters. There's two issues, getting a good PA education and then the letters in the suffix after your name to quieten the critics. I think you need both.

Don't settle for anything less than a Masters (if you already have a BS/BA). I am looking at job posts in the LA/OC, CA area (a desirable location, so I am told by recruiters), and lately I've noticed that some employers are requiring the applicant have a Masters degree. It might only be a few employers now, but in a competitive job market why reduce your chances qualifying for any advertised PA position. The few extra months of school will be worth it.

From my perspective, no difference. A masters is a masters. There's two issues, getting a good PA education and then the letters in the suffix after your name to quieten the critics. I think you need both.

Thanks to Nebraska, St Francis, Western, At Stills, and Nova you can have both if you are a grad from a non MS program. Just like nursing....

Your options for a MS after PA school are:

With a BA/BS----------------------> Nebraska, et. al. (Can't beat Nebraska's cost)

Sans a BA/BS----------------------> A.T. Still University APA prog. (I'm doing this now) IDK of another MS program with a BA/BS equivalency track.

Get in where you fit in. Jessie Edward made sure you had degree options. He opened the door.:wink:

Let me do the AARP PA from California thing. LOL. Here it ain't about a degree. It is about what can you do for your SP. Can you move patients? Get all the paper you want. What can you do for the practice? Just saying... LOL. Yes in California, there are places where saturation may be an issue IMHO.

Still, it really isn't about a degree IMHO. Nothing but love and in a supportive and nurturing way. BTW PAs in Cali are preceived as a way to deal with our HC crisis. All of us. :)

IMHO we all are doing good for the profession. But then again....what do I know?

Bring it and Flame away.

LesH

Get in where you fit in. Jessie Edward made sure you had degree options. He opened the door.:wink:

Let me do the AARP PA from California thing. LOL. Here it ain't about a degree. It is about what can you do for your SP....

IMHO we all are doing good for the profession. But then again....what do I know?

LesH

I agree in Cali (at least from my limited exp) NOT ONE of the places who interviewed/offered me asked about my lack of a degree. In fact, the guy replacing me is an OLD SCHOOL PA (ex Navy HM and PA x 30 years) with NO degree....

I'm just getting it for "protection" LOL

YMMV

Archived