Hello everyone my name is Chris. I am just trying to get a handle on how achievable my dream is giving my current portfolio. I currently go to Union University in Tennessee. The school always ranks well among private colleges in the south and across the country. In December I will graduate with a degree exercise science. My major GPA is around 3.6, cumulative 3.2, and science gpa (I'm guessing) is 2.5. I started my first semester with a 1.4 gpa so there has been a major upward trend since the beginning. My science prerequisites only include 1 biology, 1 chemistry (both for science majors), and A&P both 1&2 so I know I have a few I need to take that can help to raise that. My school offers an undergraduate gross anatomy class I plan to take as an upper leve bio. In addition to being a full time student I have worked for 4 years as a full time pharmacy technician while in school. With the exception of my obviously low science gpa, how do I look on paper as an applicant? I have emailed the university of utahs admissions and they said pharm tech was acceptable healthcare experience but I am willing to do more if I need to. Thank you for your comments and suggestions!!

-Chris

• Upvote 1

See, I was always told that being a pharm tech wasn't "hands on" enough experience. While it is experience no doubt, schools really like the direct interacting with patients (i.e. medical assistant, EMT, etc.). You didn't mention if you tried taking the GRE yet. It looks like you may have a bit of classes to take to meet most prerequisite standards. The schools I'm applying to require at minimum a 3.0 sciences GPA. If you already took A&P 1 and 2, I wouldn't take another anatomy class and focus on the other classes that you need or if nothing more take upper level BIO classes like genetics, immunology, parasitology, etc. Get a lists of several schools and make sure when applying that your criteria fits them all, unless you are dead set on Utah and have no doubt that you will get in.

First, you're going to have to figure out exactly where you really stand. On another thread, optimistic3 has mentioned making a spreadsheet of your grades so that you can see exactly what your numbers are now and exactly how new classes might impact them. That's a really good idea. A lot of people have trouble estimating their gpa....so your 2.5 might be a 2.9....or it might be a 2.2. You need to know exactly what you're dealing with before you can make a plan.

The other really important thing you can do is research the requirements of every PA program out there. Make another spreadsheet. Many schools require a 3.0 sGPA for application, some won't accept pharmacy tech as HCE, others will take it but consider it second-rate, etc. Some schools look at gpa in prerequisites rather than all sciences. This could be to your advantage since you've still got most of those still to take. Some programs might consider your cGPA (which is adequate if your estimate is correct) more heavily than your sGPA. Your challenge is going to be finding a program that's ok with your sGPA (your weakness) and values your experience (your strength). 

Make some spreadsheets, figure out EXACTLY where you stand, learn everything there is to know about as many programs as possible, get As in every one of those prerequisites you have left, write a great PS, and smoke the GRE. Apply to a lot of schools. Then, be willing to move to some place like Utah when they offer you admission. 

You CAN do it...it'll just take an intelligent and committed approach. Best of luck.

You need to put the work in to determine your eligibility with respect to submitting an application.  Btw school rankings are arbitrary and will not help you in any way shape or form.

Determine your CASPA c/sGPA.  There are instructions on the CASPA website.  If your CASPA GPA is straddling the 3.0 line, then you may have a shot at an application as of next cycle if you continue to pull off solids As from now until then.  The key to getting in with a past low GPA is to get it up to the minimum standards while displaying a steep positive upward trend and the ability to explain how you have learned from this academic journey.

You really need to understand that, while you may be certain that you are cut out for grad school, your GPA indicates that you cannot handle the coursework.  It is rigorous and exacting, and is only becoming more difficult.  The standards exist for a reason.  PAs are no longer assistants and now run their own clinics, some own private practices.  Set yourself up for success by getting that GPA up in the fewest semesters possible.

Best of luck to you.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By savpeaches
      Hi everyone! This is my first post so be forgiving if I don't have proper forum etiquette lol. So I am extremely nervous to apply this cycle, 2021-2022, because I feel as though my application is not going to be that strong. Here's what I have (keep in mind that I am a junior in college, so I have some more classes to take):
      cGPA: 3.27
      sGPA: right now I have a 3.1, but after this semester I am thinking that it will be around a 3.3
      HCEs: over 2,000 as a CNA
      I haven't asked for LORs yet, but I am sure that those I ask will highly recommend me (crossing my fingers!).
      I don't have as many volunteer hours as I would like, around 50, but I am currently working on them. 
      I am also involved on campus as an Orientation Leader, I am the President of Nature Club, the treasurer of a History club, and I am also apart of many other clubs, I am just not holding any positions in them. I don't know if this is relevant or not but I also take juijistu classes off campus. 
      I did have some mishaps happen throughout college, I earned a C- in human A&P, and I had to retake biochemistry. I'm not sure if I should retake human A&P to raise my grade and GPA or let it go. I am going to apply this cycle to programs that do not have a minimum letter grade, but I am honestly so worried that these schools won't even look at my application because of my GPA and my A&P grade. 
      Any and all recommendations are welcome, thank you!
    • By futurepa1998
      Do I have a chance?
      I’m struggling to decide if I should apply for this cycle or not due to my gpa and PCE. I graduated last august with a bachelors in biology. I’m 23 btw. 
      Cumulative Gpa before post bacc credits-2.98
      Sci GPA-2.65
      Cumulative gpa after post bacc-3.17 (32 credits)
      Sci gpa after-3.10
      Post bacc cgpa- 3.98 sgpa- 4.00
      PCE hours as a CNA~1500
      Medical assistant~ 400
      HCE as a Pathology Tech~ 1360
      LOR- one from MD that I worked with, one from a PA I shadowed, and one from a former boss
      Shadowing~150 hours 
      Leadership Hours~80 hours 
      Volunteer~150 hours
      Taking the GRE this month 
      My GPA was low in my undergrad bc of going through personal circumstances and recently learning that I have ADHD. After finding out my diagnosis I completely changed how I studied and I had an upward trend my senior year and during this post bacc.
    • By masval2
      Hello!
      I have browsing this forum for awhile and appreciate everyones time and advice.
      To explain a little about my situation, I have a BA in Kinesiology that i completed in 2016. I became a personal trainer after school and really fell in love with client interactions, but felt as though I could do more for myself and my career. I went back to complete some science pre requisites for Physical Therapy school but realized DPT wasn't for me. I decided to leave my job at the commercial training job to work with partners/friends at a private training gym that we started together. This was tough at the time, and unfortunately COVID ruined our business, and lost my job.
      I was lost, bitter and decided I no longer wanted to be a trainer anymore. I hate the business side of it after grinding in that sector for years, but love working with patients and healthcare. I wanted more for my life. My family is full of medical professionals and always loved the healthcare environment. I decided to go back to school online while locked down to keep me busy and learning more about health. I was accepted into an MS of kinesiology and have been realizing that its not as fun for me as it used to be since I want something different. I am fully intending to apply to PA school next year after I finish my masters and remaining pre-reqs this summer.
      With that being said, I currently have the option to switch my graduate focus from MS Kinesiology to MS Health Sciences, which has courses in Epidemiology, Global Health, Theories and models of health behaviors, Program design and evaluation, etc.
      I emailed my advisor to make the switch as I feel as though it will make my application stronger for PA school, but am now unsure if it will make a difference between MS Kine or Health Sciences. 
      Any thoughts or comments?
      Thank you so much for your time
    • By NepgearxUniVII
      No idea what these schools want. Rejected from Every school I applied to this year.. seriously wondering if PA is just not worth the time. 

Here’s my stats since that’s all that these programs seem to care about
      Science GPA 3.65 ( higher than the average matriculant GPA of all schools I applied to )
      Degree: does it matter? BS in biochemistry 
      PCE: around 2,500hrs (EMT)
      Lead author on 4 publications in plant metabolism, does this matter?
      owned my own business prior to starting college, again does this matter?
      Two options 1. Keep working as instructor for EMTs (pay is good but its not that end all be all “healthcare experience” they seem to worship 

2. Get a masters degree in medical science (basically demonstrating that I can handle the curriculum because my alleged GPA, research papers, and “real” science degree (looking at you psych and ESS majors) Isn’t enough. 

• By Perdikos
      Hello!  I’m currently a senior biology major working as a medical scribe for a bit over 1 year now. I have accumulated about 1100 hours so far and have a cGPA of 3.63 and a science GPA of 3.36. I also have volunteered at a food bank with about 100 hours during the weekends. As a scribe I chart many aspects of the patient visit including vitals, HPI, physical exam and future plans. I also occasionally assist the provider with small tasks such as cerumen flushing in internal medicine or taking an US in a rheumatology setting. I have been researching PA programs to apply to and focusing on those that list scribing as PCE.  I am worried that this experience alone may not be enough as some schools don’t mention scribing as true PCE and I don’t feel I am able to gain another experience as I am currently studying for the GRE, working 3 times a week and will begin my next school semester soon. During my gap year after I apply I will have more time to find another part time job but this won’t be reflected on my application.  Will I still have a chance at being accepted into a program next cycle and if not what else do you recommend I do prior to applying? Thanks for any help you can provide. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More