New Grad Starting Salary

Hi,

I will be interviewing for a few dermatology PA jobs in the Northern VA area and want to be prepared should they ask what my salary requirements are. 

Based on the 2013 AAPA salary report, Derm PA's make $85,000 (50th%) and

4100,750 (75%) for base salary only and $117,000 (50th) and 149,250 (75%) for base salary plus bonus, in the entire U.S.

What should my salary requirements/range be? I have no idea what to ask for, especially since I am a new grad with my only derm experience being a 4 week rotation.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

good luck getting anything beyond 90K as a new grad in derm in nova. the numbers are pretty low compensation wise for a newbie in the entire region (speaking from experience...i worked 2 years in nova as a derm pa).

but, if u do get a derm offer, it is quite competitive to get ure foot in in the door specialty wise. if u are willing to sacrifice pay (but don't make too many sacrifices- i wouldn't take anything below 80k a year (but ask for 90K). gain at least 1+ year of experience in the speciality, then u will have more asking power at ure next job). consider urself a resident and push urself hard to learn everything u can in that time frame. but, if u arent being offered benefits or decent PTO, just walk away. 

if there are no derm positions in nova, i would suggest applying for plastics or surgery, then re-appling for derm after a year or so. surgical experience can def be a plus, if u join a practice that is heavy into surgical procedures and MOHS. when u join a practice, this can mean big bucks on top of ure base salary pay, if ure good with a scalpel (and if ure SP trusts u). plastics may be a great fit, bc u can get exposure to cosmetic procedures.  

derm is a great specialty for a pa, but don't sell urself short as a new graduate either.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this helps, but I'm a new-grad who has received the following offer from a dermatology group recently:

$105K base salary

Incentive bonus of 25% of collections > $18,000/month, eligible immediately

Health ins premiums covered for self and family

18 month non-compete

great offer for a new grad! what state is this in and how long is the contract for?

make sure u clarify how many patients they expect you to see as a new grad. if it's a lot, even a seasoned PA can't keep up.

• 6 months later...

Not sure if this helps, but I'm a new-grad who has received the following offer from a dermatology group recently:

$105K base salary

Incentive bonus of 25% of collections > $18,000/month, eligible immediately

Health ins premiums covered for self and family

18 month non-compete

Good offer, I am a new grad. and wanted to go into dermatology specialty and was offered 100,000 and no benefits. Very limited dermatologist in the area. I wish I would find a similar offer. 

Archived