Online Pre-req question (and 1 GRE question)

So while I will probably take a shot at a few schools this cycle I am sure the prereqs I have missing will keep me out.

That said, I will absolutely do what it takes. After doing some reading it appears UNE is a popular choice for knocking out some of those science prereqs.

I have two questions:

1. Are the UNE classes (Biochemistry, Genetics, Biology II...etc) generally accepted everywhere? What I mean is, I know online labs arent accepted in some schools, but generally it appears there isnt much issue with them. I guess I am asking if anyone has had any issues with classes taken there fulfilling requirements.

2. For those of you that have taken classes at UNE (holy crap at the prices btw) is it self paced? Ive seen posts where basically it appears as though you can take as many as you can handle and finish as quickly as youre able to work. I think I read one post where someone took Organice Chem I and II in 4 months or something. Is that right?

3. Lastly is it worth taking a GRE prep course of some kind. While I went to calculus it was a few years ago and I am admittedly awful at higher level math. So I certainly need to brush up. I hadnt planned on taking the GRE however ive since reconsidered and would love to know the best way to prepare.

Thank you all for any and all guidance.

As far as the GRE, I don't think a prep course is worth it, at least not for me. I borrowed The Princeton Review book from the library and it's been helpful. There's not much content to memorize for the GRE so it's really more about practice, learning vocabulary, and maybe a few math concepts that you forgot. It's pretty much all basic algebra and geometry, there is no calculus involved.

When are you planning to take the GRE? I say try it with a few books yourself and if that doesn't work for you, then do a course. There are lots of free practice tests out there, so use them to gauge your baseline and how you are doing with the studying. ETS has 2 (download the powerprep software from their website). Also Kaplan, Manhattan Prep, Magoosh, and The Princeton Review I believe all have free practice tests. Start working on that vocabulary immediately. Magoosh has a free gre vocab app for your phone that you can start learning with.

I'll second optimistic about the math content on the GRE. I'm pretty sure every problem on the test was something I learned in high school or before. That said, I do recommend a formal prep course. I used Magoosh and loved it. The best part was the video explanations of the problems...if you miss one, you can watch somebody work it out, explaining the math behind it and how it applies specifically to the GRE. (GRE-math strategy isn't always the same as "proper math") Before any prep, I took a full test on magoosh and scored 309. I worked through the prep for a couple of weeks and ended up with a 324 on the real test. I was pretty happy with the improvement. Oh, and one of my essay prompts was identical to one that magoosh had done. Can't beat that kind of prep.

Archived