Online organic chemistry

Hello everyone,

I would like to get some suggestions please. I have completed all my prerequisites and would like to apply to the PA program at Touro college. I am only missing organic chemistry. I have tried taking it at my respective college but it did not work for me. I would like to take it online. All thoughts and comments will be helpful.

• Administrator

UNE offers online OChem, I did it.  It's moderately expensive and requires a lot of initiative, but it does get the job done.

Mind you, OChem is the ABSOLUTELY LAST course I would recommend taking online.

Why did taking it in person not work for you?  Hopefully a scheduling matter, because any material-related problem will likely be worse trying to take it online.

I also took online ochem at UNE. Actually, I did 1 and 2 in about 4 months combined (my acceptance was contingent on completing both before the program started). Took a lot of time/effort but definitely doable. I hate chemistry, everything about it... But I still ended up with two A's, and I am definitely not smart when it comes to chemistry. I guess that says more about how easy the online class really is. I admit that I probably didn't learn anything and forgot 99.9% of it within about 1 month... But who cares, your just filling pre-reqs. Didn't see anything remotely related to OChem in PA school anyways. If it's still the same today, you can take the exams at your own pace, and all of the labs are virtual... Meaning no wasted time in cleaning up and waiting for reactions... It's awesome (but still hated it at the same time). Just be sure that your program will accept it (including online lab). Some programs are sticklers on that.

uc berkeley has an online intro ochem course without lab. if they don't require a lab this would work, LECOM accepts this course to meet their entire ochem requirement for the APAP pa to physician bridge course. I asked specifically about this and got approval from the director for it. (not that I'm doing it, ochem is my only academic barrier to entrance at this point). too bad I can't relocate to erie,pa for 3 years...

• 1 year later...

Hi Walkoffshot,

I will be signing up to take Orgo II online through UNE. I read your post above and absolutely hate Organic as well. How is the course online? Was the material tough to understand? I'm impressed you finished both in two months! I also do not have to take the lab portion. Thank you for all the info!

Archived