Taking Classes While Applying To Schools

Sorry if this has previously been asked, I didn't see anything after a quick search. 

I applied during this cycle and while I feel good, I am always preparing for the worst yet hoping for the best. For those who were in a similar situation, did you retake classes incase you needed to reapply for the following year? The window to hear from schools is wide.

Fingers crossed, I won't need to take them but I'd like to be prepared, just in case. I'd love to hear everyones opinions on the matter.

Thanks!

Rather than retake classes that I did adequately in, I would (& did) take additional classes ... In subjects that would benefit me; e.g., pharmacology, pathophysiology, medical law and ethics; to demonstrate interest in learning (as well as to keep boosting my less than stellar GPA!). That makes more sense than just focusing on the minimum pre-requisites and making one letter grade improvement in a course you've already taken at least once.

Second.  I would take other classes of equal or greater difficulty.  Retaking a qualifying grade in bio for an A instead of a B shows less commitment than taking another course like immunology, pharmacology, etc.  Honestly if your HCE and letters are good then just finish up your degree.  I have a D, 2 Cs and a few Bs on my transcripts and have already interviewed, with more interviews coming.  A well known, fairly competitive program at which I just interviewed has an avg. accepted GPA for c/o 2017 of 3.5.

I agree w/ AliB's post. Taking new classes would prob be more beneficial not only for preparation in general but for yourself by learning new things. It look silly/neurotic to retake classes w/ a B. I remember taking classes on the side that I was interested in for a GPA booster all the time during undergrad

I signed up for classes that would expand the range of schools I could get into if I decided to apply the following year, such as advanced physiology and organic chemistry.  I wanted to build my knowledge as well.  I interviewed with my top school, and got the call the day before tuition was due.  After checking with the program, I withdrew from half the classes, and focused on the ones I was interested in.  I used winter quarter to travel.

Not to hijack this but i have fee the same question. I have a c plus in genetics and my chem1 with lab is 10 years old (but my xhem2 and orgo is only two years) my gpa can use boosting. Should i be retaking these or something else?

Is genetics a requirement for all your programs or just some? I would be careful retaking classes like that as there is a good chance you may receive the same grade or slightly better which would not make much of an impact anyways. As for your chemistry lab, most programs will not accept it if it is more than 10 years old so double check on the dates. If you are interested in raising your GPA I suggest doing as others have mentioned above and take additional science courses that may be of interest to your respective programs.

Yeah I wasnt sure because my chem 1 is 10 years old but I retook my chem2 2 years ago because I got an F in out when I was younger and got an A so not sure if they'd make an exception for demonstrated knowledge.

Genetics is a requirement for some, a bonus for others. I'm working full time now so taking a class a semester or two to boost my gpa wont have much effect haha.

Archived