When do most pre-pa's apply to PA school?

Am I correct in believing that this is the usual PA school application cycle? Let's say I graduate in April/May 2016.

May 2016- Graduate university (with all requirements done)

Summer 2016- Prepare and complete CASPA

Fall 2016- Receive interviews, if any (get acceptance letter, if any)

Jan 2017- Begin PA school?

Would I be correct in believing that this would be my general schedule if I graduate in May of a certain year? I'm basing this off of the fact that several of the schools I've been looking at starts in January.

depends on the HCE piece of the picture. many folks spend 1-2 years after graduation getting HCE.

also many pa programs start aug/sept.

Ah ok. So what I wrote is fine for schools that start in January though right (even with HCE in consideration)? Also, if schools start on Aug/Sep, I'm not sure of the application process schedule. Can someone explain it to me? Would you basically just send in the CASPA stuff ASAP in April and then get interviews and everything done before Aug/Sept classes?

EMED is right on like usual - your timeline will vary according to HCE, the requirements for which are dependent per school.  Therefore, it is difficult to give a hard and fast answer to the question you are asking.

Here is my application process from start to finish to give you some idea:

After 4 years Navy Corpsman and 4 years undergrad bio degree,

Fall 2014: while working full time, began emailing specific programs for clearance to submit application with my spceific transcripts

Spring 2015: start working on personal statement for CASPA, asking for letters of recommendation.

April 2015: CASPA cycle goes online, begin working on application on the CASPA website.

Late June: Recommendation letters and official transcripts finally come through.

July: Submit on CASPA.

Couple weeks later: Confirmation emails from programs received.

Early August: 2 interview invites for programs with Aug/Sep application deadlines.

Mid August: First interview.

Coming up in mid Sep: Second interview.

---

Note that

1) You can only start working on your actual CASPA application when the cycle in which you are applying opens up for the year.  Until then you should be entering grades and working on your personal statement...if I am not mistaken the grades carry over, but PS will have to be edited on a word processing file and copied over when the app cycle opens.

2) You need to get your HCE in order before you submit, and it would behoove you to do much, much more than the minimum required hours for your program.  At my first, and only thus far, interview, there were a couple of young students who were still in undergrad...I would say there chances of acceptance are low unless they are doing something absolutely amazing like volutneering full time at hospice care.  A few there were 2nd cycle applicants, all becuase they did not have adequate HCE the first time around.

If you have even a single prospective school with an earlier deadline then your application cycle will go just like mine, ie aim to submit no later than July 1st.  Early applications are absolutely key and one of the few aspects of the process that you actually have control over.

Best of luck to you.

Ah ok. So what I wrote is fine for schools that start in January though right (even with HCE in consideration)? Also, if schools start on Aug/Sep, I'm not sure of the application process schedule. Can someone explain it to me? Would you basically just send in the CASPA stuff ASAP in April and then get interviews and everything done before Aug/Sept classes?

Nope, you're rushing things. Apps open in April, so you apply over the summer or by the fall deadlines. Interviews happen over the fall/winter for programs that start in the summer or fall of the next year. Example: you apply this summer to hopefully interview this fall for a 2016 summer/fall start. That's probably the most common.

TBH I'm truly not sure how the timeline works for the Jan start school. I'd imagine in the previous example it could go either way: for a 2016 January start or for a 2017 Jan start, depending on the school.

Seems like the schedule differs depending on the school. January schools looks a bit accelerated in terms of the process (at least for the one radioman mentioned), while summer/fall starts have a larger gap between sending your application in and actually being able to attend the school (assuming that you have each and every requirement done, shadowing, HCE etc.) Thanks for the help everyone. I was a bit confused at first due to the many differences in application dates. However, your data points and responses has really helped me. I think I'm going to begin keeping a detailed spreadsheet of application dates to better understand everything.

Nope, you're rushing things. Apps open in April, so you apply over the summer or by the fall deadlines. Interviews happen over the fall/winter for programs that start in the summer or fall of the next year. Example: you apply this summer to hopefully interview this fall for a 2016 summer/fall start. That's probably the most common.

TBH I'm truly not sure how the timeline works for the Jan start school. I'd imagine in the previous example it could go either way: for a 2016 January start or for a 2017 Jan start, depending on the school.

Oh yes. I see what you mean. I was checking out https://francis.edu/pa-graduate-admissions/

and it says that you apply by August 1st 2016 (for example) to get in for the May/June 2017(basically next year's summer start). 

My program started in January...application deadline was mid-July. Interviews were held mid August, acceptances/rejections sent out end of August and beginning of September.

Ah thank you for your data point! It helps confirm everything for me.

Archived